3 Weeks to Decide. I need *your* help please. FUTUREPROOF?
Aug 27, 2010 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

anirudh0802

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I love my Denon 5000's so far. They are great cans. I have a couple of questions I was hoping people that can answer here.

With the 100th anniversary Denon's coming out, I feel as if my 5000's are already outdated. And with the new Monster's coming out too, and other prominent headphones coming out (JVC) , I am not sure wether to keep these.

Second, sound leak is crazy bad, installing j$ pads with lower the bass impact but decrease the sound leakage, right?

I have 3 weeks to decide wether to keep these cans or return them. Everything is based on time.

P.S. Fun fact: I got a $750 data bill from ATT (in the US) this month :xf_mad:
how is that possible? lol

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 9
Well, are you just itching to upgrade because you want the best and brightest shiny new thing, or are you genuinely unhappy with aspects of your cans?  If you're unhappy, return them.  "Outdated" is a funny term.  There aren't really any amazing technologies that headphones are taking advantage of.  Some superior materials are becoming cheaper to work with, but it's not like computers, where they are making higher processor speeds on smaller cores every month.  The best definition of marketing I've seen is "parting you and your money to buy things you don't need."  If you want the best, stop playing around and get yourself the D7000, which is probably 5-7% better for only twice the price.  Any successors to the 5000 and 7000 won't necessarily sound better; just different.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 9
shnitz had some good points. High end headphones don't really become outdated. Newer models may come out with different sound signatures, but if you find a model whose sound you enjoy, just stick with it. There are people who still enjoy their 10-15 year old headphones. But on the other hand, if you should decide to keep the D5000, you will run the risk that the new models will have a signature that you prefer more. But such is life.

On the upside, just be glad these are only headphones that cost only hundreds of dollars and you can always choose to sidegrade. It's not like you have to marry them and then get hit with buyer's remorse every time you meet a younger, hotter pair of Denons wearing a miniskirt and intoxicating French perfume.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 9
The best of headphones are actually quite old and no longer in production. Grado HP-1000, AKG K1000, Sony MDR-R10 etc.

If you want the newer product just because it is newer, you are better off getting a different hobby, like computers for example.

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
On the upside, just be glad these are only headphones that cost only hundreds of dollars and you can always choose to sidegrade. It's not like you have to marry them and then get hit with buyer's remorse every time you meet a younger, hotter pair of Denons wearing a miniskirt and intoxicating French perfume.

beerchug.gif
I agree, absolutely...cans are NOT wives
o2smile.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Hmm, I just thought newer magnets in headphones, the materials would be better over time, thats all. Headphones have electronics in them too.

Moore's law does not apply to Heaphones and audio.  Much more subject to market conditions and corporate profitability than technological progression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back