3 new Ultrasone Signature Headphones: Master, Natural and Pulse
Apr 22, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #301 of 453
The natural is indeed a great headphone but I prefer their predecessor, the signature studio. To me the studio is even tighter sounding, and the sound as a whole is extremely clean and precise.
Interesting, I had the studio in the past and didn't like them that much. Sibilant treble to me, and a more harsh listen. To each their own, as they say.

Personally, i think the best deal in the whole lineup is their HFI 780. I jam out to that one too. Perfect bass!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #302 of 453
I just wanted to echo @Dramlin since this thread is pretty dead and these headphones deserve a shout out.

I've been through a large number of Ultrasones, I generally love the way they are tuned.

The Signature Natural is one of their very best. It has a very clean but tight sound revealing a ton of detail in recordings. They are not bass light - they have a perfect level of bass that is very impactful but does not muddy up any of the beautiful crisp details these headphones provide in the mids and highs. I don't think they need any more or less bass then exactly how they are tuned. The imaging is stellar and the drivers reveal so much detail.

I had a Signature Master and sold it in favor of the Natural. I would put them pretty even with one another, both are great. The Master has some more bass but it clouds up some of the rest of the frequencies vs. these Natural. I preferred the Natural overall and again, would recommend to anyone looking for a do it all closed back. I would say the sound is in line with an improved 780. I really love the 780 and still think those are a great buy for a very fun sounding headphone so that is saying a lot for these.

Out of all the closed backs I have owned or heard, I think these are my favorite and the 780 is a "fun" alternative.

I think it's sad they don't get the recognition they deserve in this community.

Ultrasone just doesn't seem to do any advertising at all for their headphones so you just have to find them to reap the rewards.

They made the old man make over-dramatized faces like ten years ago :frowning2:

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #303 of 453
They made the old man make over-dramatized faces like ten years ago :frowning2:
I'd like to hear that model one day (Ed 10?). Wonder what it sounds like - I mean he could have been on to something with that model but everyone brand has hits and misses and one opinion of one model shouldn't discredit the brand itself.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #304 of 453
I just wanted to echo @Dramlin since this thread is pretty dead and these headphones deserve a shout out.

I've been through a large number of Ultrasones, I generally love the way they are tuned.

The Signature Natural is one of their very best. It has a very clean but tight sound revealing a ton of detail in recordings. They are not bass light - they have a perfect level of bass that is very impactful but does not muddy up any of the beautiful crisp details these headphones provide in the mids and highs. I don't think they need any more or less bass then exactly how they are tuned. The imaging is stellar and the drivers reveal so much detail.

I had a Signature Master and sold it in favor of the Natural. I would put them pretty even with one another, both are great. The Master has some more bass but it clouds up some of the rest of the frequencies vs. these Natural. I preferred the Natural overall and again, would recommend to anyone looking for a do it all closed back. I would say the sound is in line with an improved 780. I really love the 780 and still think those are a great buy for a very fun sounding headphone so that is saying a lot for these.

Out of all the closed backs I have owned or heard, I think these are my favorite and the 780 is a "fun" alternative.

I think it's sad they don't get the recognition they deserve in this community.

Ultrasone just doesn't seem to do any advertising at all for their headphones so you just have to find them to reap the rewards.
How is the comfort on these compared to the 780? I had the 780's, loved the sound but disliked the clamp force.

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #305 of 453
I'd like to hear that model one day (Ed 10?). Wonder what it sounds like - I mean he could have been on to something with that model but everyone brand has hits and misses and one opinion of one model shouldn't discredit the brand itself.
That’s the one:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/ultrasone-edition-10

I don’t think he wanted to trash Ultrasone as a company, yet he obviously was quite discontent with a headphone in that price range having so obvious technical problems.

To me Ultrasone was always hit and miss… the Edition 5 was really nice (albeit hideously overpriced), many edition models had extremely good comfort with mediocre sound. The Signature Pro was too anemic to me, missing deep bass and balanced treble, while the Signature DJ did much better in both regards — both failing in comfort though… which is why I still did not try any of the new Signature models. Optically they are also not quite my style, so…

Overall there is no coherent picture with Ultrasone, except many models are overpriced. Covering a wide range of tuning possibilities might not be bad, but they simply seem to lack focus and therefore did not become a niche of their own like Grado: those I dislike on both sound and comfort (and price nowadays), but their offerings are more consistent and they have their own following due to that. Actually I also dislike their design, and being open is also not making me any more interested :wink:

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #306 of 453
Hi all, I will try to lively up the tread a bit as well :wink:
Have a dxp very happy with them compared to the studio and dj which I traded for the dxp, missing the studio a bit' however I prefer the dxp.
changed the pads to brainwavez oval ones, a bit darker sounding and a bit of bloom on the bass, but the stock ones are so horrible, not much of a choice but to replace them.
Any more recommendation on nice other pads?

Also have 780 which I really like and needs pads as well, I like the 780 metallic sound , matter of taste I guess.
Well maybe I shouldnt let go of the studio, I miss the treble a bit.
whats your thoughts about some pads as close to the stock ones but with comfort?
Thank you.

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #307 of 453
@plakat - For me, they have THE BEST imaging for closed backs that I have heard. The S-logic works for my ears for some reason - I hear such excellent stereo separation and directional cues from all across the soundstage.

I also find that the bass is consistently enjoyable. They (as a house sound) have a very punchy low end but it is tight too. The 780 has glorious bass punch for its price, as does the pro 750i. The signature natural has excellent, well controlled bass.

I just really enjoy their house sound as one of my favorites (V/U shape tuning) and to me, I recognize that house sound which runs through mostly all the models.

I also would mention they sound excellent directly plugged into my laptop (Macbook) or even Ipads - they are all very easily driven to great results.

So yeah, i mean for me they do have an identify and plenty of their models are not super priced on the used market. I do agree some of them are. I never pay MSRP - I typically buy gear used on here or other websites and have scored some excellent deals with some Ultrasone models. Both my 750I and my 780 were under 100. I use my 750I as my work headphone, so it gets more use than anything I own and the comfort is right on point for me for all day wear. I also really like the sound of it too. The 780 is one that represents IMO Ultrasone house sound perfectly and I love the punchy and aggressive tuning of it. It was <$100 (maybe like $85) and for a closed back with its sound quality, I can't think of a better deal in closed back. Did I mention they all work excellent for gaming?

I'll also add that I listen to a lot of EDM and I think their house sound pairs perfectly. They always deliver a tight and punchy delivery with exciting highs and lows. This new signature line IMO brings more into the midrange of the headphone, which was not typically the focus for Ultrasone in their older models. That midrange improvement makes the Natural now more balanced across the spectrum. The older models had more of a mid scoop. Ultrasones don't push mids in your face or offer a lot of mid body in general - but mids are clean, crisp, and clear. The natural has a lovely midrange which is very detailed and isn't scooped.

Ultrasone doesn't do virtually any advertising from what I observe which means you have to kind of try one and get bit by it. This happened for me a very long time ago - from my very first Ultrasone I knew I loved that sound. I have owned a lot of them since then and can say my current ones (Natural, 780, 750i) satisfy my Ultrasone itch.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #308 of 453
Does anyone know if Thomann is no longer be carrying Ultrasone? I've never seen their stocks dip this low, only nine items stocked as of now.

May 2, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #309 of 453
Saw this while browsing today - Interesting addition to their lineup.

Ultrasone Signature "Pure" coming in at $169. I don't think there's been a "Signature" series headphone released with an MSRP like that.

This was on Facebook - I'm not even seeing anything on their website yet.

Not seeing too many details yet - I'd assume with it being a lower priced model it is probably pure mylar drivers without any special coating.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 8.41.05 AM.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #310 of 453
Look at the pads, thay are completely different than in the Signature series..I found them in one of the French stores, the price is around 140 euros

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-2 o 17.15.24.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-2 o 17.15.24.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-2 o 17.15.32.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-2 o 17.15.32.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-2 o 17.15.42.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-2 o 17.15.42.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-2 o 17.15.56.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-2 o 17.15.56.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #311 of 453
Those pads are huge! A welcome change in my opinion. Deeper pads on the Signatures usually improve the sound stage considerably, but usually at the expense of some dynamics. With Ultrasone tuning the headphone for deeper pads these could sound quite a bit different from the rest of the Signature series. I'm guessing these are also the same pads that will be shipped with the second version of the Signature X, but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back