3 Grado Headphones Compared
Feb 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I’ve been comparing some of the Grado line.

Eventually, I’ll be adding much of these impressions to the “20 Headphones Reviewed Thread”.

I was not a Grado fan for a long time because their ergonomic design bothered me.  It still does in some ways, but the sound quality has grown on me quite a bit.  I have stated not having a preference for their current top model, the PS1000.  For me, the soundstage here doesn’t add to the overall reproduction of sound and the mids are not as generous as some of the cheaper models.

The pairs I currently own are:
The RS1i
The RS1 balanced with a Stefan Audio Art Equinox
The RS2i

The RS1i and RS1 balanced, to me, sound almost identical and I tend to prefer them with flat pads over bowls.  Even in balanced mode the RS1 really only has slightly less treble on top than the RS1i and some may prefer more treble because of the detail associated with this region.  For me the slightly less treble made the sound just ever-so-slightly smoother.  The treble is also quite tailorable by pad choice.  The bowls have a significant treble boost (and bass reduction) over the flat-pads.

I don’t notice substantial differences (if any) between the RS1 balanced and not.  The RS1i sounds about as good, not really all that different, just a hair more treble to these ears.  I listen to these on a TTVJ 307a, Woo Audio 5 and Manley 300b.  The way I’d describe the sound is that it’s a hybrid of energy and euphoria.  It’s powerful and close-up with a sense of tremendous impact but it is smooth and lacks a lot of the grain associated with treble.

The RS2 seems like a best buy to me, sounding about 95% as good as the RS1 but 200 dollars less.  It has slightly less bass bloom than the RS1. I found that I preferred these with the flat pads as well.  They are also more comfortable to me.  No matter how much I worked on getting the perfect fit though, I would call the Grados amongst the lesser comfortable headphones which I own.  Lastly, I find most of the music I reach for with any of these headphones is jazz and rock, but primarily jazz.

-Dave

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Probably not close to the topic, but anyway...

Having such amps around and not getting your hands on GS1000 at least, will not finish the line up. To me, its the presentation of the whole, where so called soundstage is a part of it. And their comfort is one of the best up there, imo.
Even I never tried any of these amps, I dare to say that RS1, or any other Grado, except PS1000 maybe, which I didnt try yet, will present the music the way GS1000 does, especially Jazz, I even wrote here about this some time ago that GS1000 are made for it. After upgrading to EAR HP4 I never had a feeling that other amps will do better, maybe differ, but better, not sure, still the matter of preferences, I guess. And thats, I do believe, where our roads are going differ directions, cos your like flats and I dont, plus the fact that soundstage does not matter for you either and I love the presense of it, I even say, must have.
From my experience, they need analogue sounding system or the most close to one you can offer, otherwise its a waist of time, imo.

Oh, and the last, but not least. If possible, try and compare SR225 to RS1 please, can be interesting, well maybe...

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 9
just my 2 cents
I have been comparing GS1000 with HF-2 for over a year, listening mostly to rock and blues, and came to conclusion that hf-2 is better in pretty much every way, so i ended up selling GS1k.
I really want to try PS1000 though

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 9
DavidMahler goes Grado's, nice read, thanks:)

Try to grab a HF-2, would be very interested in your thoughts about them vs the RS-1's.
And like Blackmore says, SR225's.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Probably not close to the topic, but anyway...

Having such amps around and not getting your hands on GS1000 at least, will not finish the line up. To me, its the presentation of the whole, where so called soundstage is a part of it. And their comfort is one of the best up there, imo.
Even I never tried any of these amps, I dare to say that RS1, or any other Grado, except PS1000 maybe, which I didnt try yet, will present the music the way GS1000 does, especially Jazz, I even wrote here about this some time ago that GS1000 are made for it. After upgrading to EAR HP4 I never had a feeling that other amps will do better, maybe differ, but better, not sure, still the matter of preferences, I guess. And thats, I do believe, where our roads are going differ directions, cos your like flats and I dont, plus the fact that soundstage does not matter for you either and I love the presense of it, I even say, must have.
From my experience, they need analogue sounding system or the most close to one you can offer, otherwise its a waist of time, imo.

Oh, and the last, but not least. If possible, try and compare SR225 to RS1 please, can be interesting, well maybe...

The presentation of Grados seems very amp dependent to me.  I have not enjoyed the GS1000s on the amps which I've heard, but I've never heard them on my home system. I will look into the SR225 at some point! :)

Quote:
just my 2 cents
I have been comparing GS1000 with HF-2 for over a year, listening mostly to rock and blues, and came to conclusion that hf-2 is better in pretty much every way, so i ended up selling GS1k.
I really want to try PS1000 though

I would love to hear an HF2 eventually.  The PS1000 were disappointing to me, but I would give them another shot if an opportunity arose.

Quote:
DavidMahler goes Grado's, nice read, thanks:)

Try to grab a HF-2, would be very interested in your thoughts about them vs the RS-1's.
And like Blackmore says, SR225's.

its the next best thing to "going green" haha:) 

I will definitely take a listen in time to these.  The Grados do well with warmish amps, so I'd eventually like to re-acquaint myself with their line.  

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 9
The HF2 is really nice in just about every way.  I've owned two.  I may have had a harder time parting with the second one than I did my PS1000.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 9
You pointed very correctly, so, I hope you may give them another try, but then using your own system.

The presentation of Grados seems very amp dependent to me.  I have not enjoyed the GS1000s on the amps which I've heard, but I've never heard them on my home system

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 9
Always enjoy your threads Dave. Have you tried the Alessandro MS-Pro? From most accounts, it may just be what the doctor ordered with your preference for smoother treble.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Always enjoy your threads Dave.  

Me too.

It's interesting that the GS1k is such a "love it or hate it" type of headphone. For me the RS1 seems to be a natural evolution of the prestige series, and if you like the lower models there is a good chance you will like the RS1 as well. GS1k on the other hand is very different in a lot of ways. I know a few people who were disappointed by it when it was released, and I know others who found it to be the first Grado they ever really enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back