2nd source of money?
Aug 20, 2006 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

blinx

500+ Head-Fier
seriously guys, i went from not much of sound whore to audiophile in a summer. the problem is, i'm a 17 year old that works at a grocery store. I'm still living with my parents so they make me put most of my money in the bank (which is smart i know, but money doesnt have the grado sound :p)

anyway, i was just wondering how some of you guys finance everything you buy... and how i can get some extra side money for a hornet or some RS-1's
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 48
You can invest your money and you can get another job if necessary, save chopping off one of your legs or selling your love nectar (gotta love that 70s show
biggrin.gif
), there's no easy way to get more money.

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 48
Sorry for your wallet!
There are no easy way to money. You basically have to find a job that pays better, or get another one.
Or convince your parents that you have better use of a RS-1, than money in the bank. he he

I work 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. So nothing special here...

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 48
You're seventeen years old!

When I was your age, I was dreaming of getting a nice stereo setup. But, I stuck with the gear I had, which was certainly a nice entry-level setup, and I waited three years before buying my first real pair of hi-fi speakers. I was patient, tried out many brands over the years, and saved my money so that I could buy something that was truly worthwhile and an 'investment'.

Know your place, man! At 17, you deserve to be getting good grades, bangin' babes, and smoking lots of weed. The combination may not sound realistic, but because I didn't sweat over any of the gear, and just cared for the music, it became a possibility. It's good to have money which you can spend on normal kid stuff at that age. And don't think I'm trying to be centimental on you; I'm 20!

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
You're seventeen years old!

When I was your age, I was dreaming of getting a nice stereo setup. But, I stuck with the gear I had, which was certainly a nice entry-level setup, and I waited three years before buying my first real pair of hi-fi speakers. I was patient, tried out many brands over the years, and saved my money so that I could buy something that was truly worthwhile and an 'investment'.

Know your place, man! At 17, you deserve to be getting good grades, bangin' babes, and smoking lots of weed. The combination may not sound realistic, but because I didn't sweat over any of the gear, and just cared for the music, it became a possibility. It's good to have money which you can spend on normal kid stuff at that age. And don't think I'm trying to be centimental on you; I'm 20!

I've been thinking that I've gotten way over my head for my age as well. I'm also 17 and I have a STAX rig and I've spent $1.7k net on gear/music since I found this place.

If you want to get high end gear you'll need a lot of patience and need to save up small amounts of money over the course of many months. Eventually the money will add up until you blow it on your next head-fi purchase. But keep in mind that this is NOT money wasted, as at this point you can enjoy your newest purchase but keep saving up money for the next big thing knowing that you can sell your latest toy without losing too much money. I did this over the course of a year and I now have myself a sweet STAX rig (And I've tried a few headphones and amps here and there during the journey).

So, just take it one step at a time and sooner or later you'll find yourself with a pair of HP-1's
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 48
I just thought I'de jump in and say I am like the worst example of a kid with an audio rig on these forums, haha.

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 48
When I was 17, I was perfectly happy with a set of AIWA phones and PCDP. I still keep them (and in perfect working condition) for sentimental value and to remind me of how they made me happy despite not being hi-fi.

Seriously, if you can't afford it, make do with lesser, more affordable equipments (that will make you happy nonetheless)! Why even try at unrealistically expensive stuff when you can't afford it and when you are still at that age? At 17, I would question the validity of spending that kind of amount (whatever the item purchased is). Even now I am still cautious in my spending.

Regards.

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #9 of 48
Save your money. Read up on compound interest. Chase girls. Your money has better things to do than buy you audio gear you can't afford. Max out our IRA contributions and laugh at the rest of us when you retire 20 years before we do.

Aug 20, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 48
Save your money and read a book called "Rich Dad Poor Dad". If you don't learn anything it will at least motivate you. I only have one source of income now, but 10 years down the road I'd like to put my saved money to work full-time as well.

Aug 20, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
So why mention it at all?
confused.gif

Because I'm a prime example of why you (a kid) should save your money or use it wisely to say the least and not waste it just because you can LOL, especially on purchases that are uneducated.

Aug 20, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Save your money and read a book called "Rich Dad Poor Dad". If you don't learn anything it will at least notivate you.

I agree 100%. It is very motivational. Good for those times where you are spending more than you should and need to be a little more frugal.

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs
I agree 100%. It is very motivational. Good for those times where you are spending more than you should and need to be a little more frugal.

Yup, he also does a good job of outlining what he thinks assets and liabilities are. I actually recommended to my old Business Finance professor that he make it a mandatory reading assignment for his classes.

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 48
If you play golf, then I suggest caddying at a nice course. 2 of my friends do it, and although you will get less once in a while (The minimum is like $25 here), you can also get paid around 100 bucks for a morning of work if you double bag, work hard, or have a rich golfer.
tongue.gif

I'm 15 and I save up alot of my money. I don't really have a good job, as I'm not old enough yet, but I work in my dads dentist office (no, I'm not working on patients) and I babysit. I also save alot of my money in checking/saving accounts, and try not to impulse buy
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 48
I get my money mostly from work. I put in nine years of higher education and got a good job. But honestly, I was also happy with the odds'n'ends stereo I scrounged together in high school. It sounded good enough.

But if you're looking to make a few extra dollars to buy some things, there's nothing wrong with that. I'd recommend using eBay. Wherever you live, you should have access to garage sales, swap meets, garbage collection days, and the occasional junk store. You can make a good deal of money buying cheap or even just finding stuff, and then selling it on eBay. You might be surprised what some things, like old HP calculators, are actually worth.

I don't know the supply of old furniture around there, but you can also make some money refinishing old chairs and tables, then selling them. I haven't done it in a few years, but I used to get chairs for $10-$20 each, and could sell them refinished at $150-$200 each. Not hugely profitable per hour spent, but you will get money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back