2nd Annual San Diego Head-Fi Meet: Saturday, November 2nd, 2013
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 178

darinf

Member of the Trade: Darin Fong Audio
Since last year's San Diego meet went so well, I figured I would do it again. Same location, same time.

I have confirmed a location and time for the meeting:

The meet will be from 11:00am until 4:30pm on Saturday, November 2nd, 2013.

The meet will be held at the Coronado Public Library in the Winn Room: 640 Orange Avenue, Coronado, CA 92118 (619) 522-7390

There is no parking lot, but street parking shouldn't be a problem. The parking on the main street in front of the library is 2 hour parking. But all the other side streets in the neighborhood are unrestricted.

We will have access to the room for setup starting at 10:00am and we will have 1 hour to pack up and put away the tables and chairs, clean, etc. at the end. We must be completely done in the room by 5:30pm.

We are allowed to bring food and beverages (no alcohol though). I have not made any plans to provide anything yet, but last year it worked out well. We had pizza, sandwiches, sodas, fruit, snacks, sweets, etc.

I will be working on getting sponsors and update this thread.

Other than that, please post on this thread if you plan on coming and what equipment you can bring, if any.

Also, if anyone else wants to help with the organization of this event, please PM me. To be honest, last year, it was relatively easy to organize.

Subscribe to this thread and check this post for updates.

Looking forward to a decent turn out!

-Darin

Vendor/Sponsor list:

Mr.Speakers:
  1. Dan, the owner of MrSpeakers.com will be there. He will be bringing his Mad Dog headphones and I assume the Alpha Dogs too.

Schiit Audio:
  1. Someone from Schiit may or may not be there, but at a minimum they will make sure that Dan at Mad Dog will have all the Schiit with him to demo including the Ragnarok.

Astell & Kern:
  1. I presume they will bring the AK100 and AK120 to demo

Cavalli Audio:
  1. Alex will not be there, but he is going to send down some gear. TBD

Audio Revelation:
  1. For those of you who don't know, Audio Revelation is a local high end audio dealer. He also sells headphone gear. I (Darin) will be bringing the gear from Audio Revelation.
  2. Cavalli Liquid Gold (LAu) to demo! (Audio Revelation is now a Cavalli Audio dealer.)
  3. I am not sure if I can bring all of this, but if anyone has any requests, let me know:
  4. Bricasti M1 DAC
  5. Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC Series 2
  6. Luxman DA-06 DAC
  7. Icon Audio HP8 MK II amp
  8. Bryston BH-A1 amp
  9. Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3

"Mystery Surprise Vendor" Now I can reveal that the vendor is Noble Audio:
  1. Not sure what they will be showing, but as of now, Brannan plans to be there.
  2. Brannan will also be offering free ear impressions for anyone who has ordered a pair of Noble CIEM's or if they order at the meet. (Having Brannan do the impressions is a REALLY good idea. First he knows what he is doing and will be sure to do them right to avoid any problems or having to redo your impressions. Secondly it's free!)
  3. Brannan will now have universal versions of the entire Noble custom IEM line! This will be the first time anywhere that you can demo their CIEMs including the 10 driver Kaiser 10's!

"Mystery Surprise Vendor #2":
  1. Can't say much about this either, but this meet may be the first time you can hear some other exciting new products.

Ultimate Ears:
  1. Bryce from Ultimate Ears will bring: UE4, UE5, UE7, UE11, UE18, UE Reference Monitors, and UE Personal Reference Monitors 
  2. As an added bonus, they will be offering a 20% discount on any UE5 or above models for attendees.

HiFiMan:
  1. Briana will be there again this year. Not sure what gear they will have, but I will update as soon as I hear.

Brilliant Zen Audio:
  1. Brillaint Zen Audio is new to the industry. They sell K Works audio products
  2. They will be bringing a K Works Bravissimo tube headphone amp.

LFF from ReferenceSounds.com (tentative):
  1. Not sure what LFF will be bringing...
  2. Maybe a Schiit Vali

Craig from Eddie Current (tentative):
  1. Zana Deux SE

Equipment list:

darinf:
  1. Smyth Realiser A8 (I will schedule a limited number of Realiser demos in advance. See this post.)
  2. Stax SR-009
  3. Stax SR-407
  4. Stax SRM-323A Amp
  5. Etymotic ER4S
  6. iBasso D7 Sidewinder DAC
  7. Koss PortaPro with Kramer and Quarter mods(These things are amazing!)
  8. PC laptop running some cool stuff.
  1. Dune HD Max Media player to feed the Realiser.
  2. HRT MicroStreamer
  3. HRT iStreamer with iPad 3 (Maybe)
  4. HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC, (PCM2706+ES9023)
  5. Vmoda Crossfaded M-80
  6. Astell & Kern AK120
  7. Sennheiser HD 800

mackat:
  1. TBD

sceleratus:
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Schiit Gungnir
  3. Audeze LDC2's  (These may morph into LCD3's or HD800's)
  4. The Christensen DG 300B (DIY)

iamoneagain:
  1. AT-L3000 headphones
  2. AT-DHA3000 dac/amp

livewire:
  1. ODAC
  2. Gilmore Lite
  3. MCA Cocobolo MS-1i
  4. Sony MDR-V6
  5. Stax SR-407
  6. Stax SRM-252S
  7. KGSSHV (maybe)
  8. DIY Blue Hawaii (maybe?)

sbrian30s:
  1. Ultrasone HFI-580s
  2. Channel Islands VDA2 DAC w/ Single Ended outputs (by request only)
  3. Bifrost (non-Uber) (by request also)

ohhgourami:
  1. audio-gd NFB-7.32 DAC
  2. Krell KAV-400xi amp
  3. Hifiman HE-6

burnspbesq: (all or part of the following gear))
  1. Lynx Hilo
  2. Resonessence Concero/Head-Amp Gilmore Lite (possibly Concero HP if I have it by then)
  3. Resonessence Herus (possibly driven by iPad via CCK)
  4. iPod Touch/Fostex HP-P1
  5. Sennheiser HD 800 (w/SE and balanced Cardas cables)
  6. Fostex TH 600

geesweb:

sdbiotek:(tentative)

headphones:
  1. Denon AH-D2000
  2. AKG K550
  3. Beyerdynamic DT1350
  4. Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 Earsuit

amps:
  1. ALO Continental V2
  2. iQube V1
  3. Leckerton Audio UHA-6S MkII
  4. ??? (I've been trying out numerous portables lately, so might have something else by November)

source:
  1. Astell and Kern AK100

tsujigiri(bringing gear by request)
  1. Sennheiser HD650's
  2. Ultrasone Pro 900's
  3. AKG K550's
  4. Beyerdynamic DT770's
  5. Westone 3's
  6. a first generation Fiio E12

guavareal: + 1

junkimchi:

purrin:
  1. Abyss AB-1266
  2. Schiit Audio Vali
  3. Audio-GD Master 7 DAC
  4. Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5 USB Converter

greed:
  1. MSB The Analog DAC LCD-3 or HD800, Alpha Dog, TH-900 (I'm undecided which can to bring the LCD-3 or HD800)
  2. HeadAmp GS-X mk2
  3. LCD-3 (maybe)
  4. Sennheiser HD800 (maybe)
  5. Alpha Dog
  6. TH-900

ultrabike:
  1. Sennheiser HD558

junkimchi:
  1. HD600 w/ custom Canare
  2. Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600ohm
  3. AKG K702
  4. Schiit Bifrost
  5. Bottlehead Crack
  6. HRT Music Streamer II
  7. JDS Labs O2

45longcolt:

h-sh:

magdumper:
  1. HiFiMan HE-500

diogenio:
  1. "Teta" HP amp (DIY)
  2. Sennheiser 650

wahsmoh:
  1. Schiit Bifrost Uber
  2. Schiit Asgard 2
  3. DT880 (250ohm) recabled

angelbelow:
  1. Grados sr325i
  2. Sennheiser HD 598

doremusic:
  1. HD600
  2. Mad dog 3.0
  3. Grado PS500
  4. TH600
  5. Schiit Magni
  6. Hifiman EF2a
  7. Possibly Emotiva mini-x

kwlinca:
  1. Centrance HiFi-M8

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 178
Meet Rules: (I stole these from the LA meet, so some of you should be familiar with them.)

1) Please treat others' gear with the utmost care and respect.
2) Do not unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
3) Do not turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
4) Do not move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
5) Always treat other headfiers with the utmost respect.
6) If a woman shows up - DO NOT GAWK. They are part of the human species and also deserve the utmost respect. Do not fear that this is the only one.
7) Do not bring ANY food or drinks near any equipment, including your own.
8) If you eat, please WASH YOUR DIRTY, GREASY HANDS BEFORE touching other people's equipment.
9) Do not ask the vendors too many questions. They want to have fun too and others may want to ask questions as well.
10) Always follow the rules of the host. He/She/They have been gracious enough to host a meet so he/she/they deserve the most respect and if you don't follow any of the above rules, AT LEAST follow this one.
11) No shirt, no shoes, no headphone meet.
12) Do not put screw drivers in electrical outlets, people's equipment or people's ears.
13) If it's summer - please wear deodorant.
14) If it's winter - please wear deodorant.
15) DO NOT wear hair gel or any cosmetic product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
16) Make sure your guests, if you bring any, follow the rules as well.

That said....HAVE FUN!

More information about the location:

1. To find the Winn Room, just go into the main entrance to the library which faces Orange Ave.

1. Once you go in the main doors, go to the right of the front desk. There is a door there to your left.

1. Go through the door and turn right until you are facing Orange Ave. again. Continue through the doors into the Winn Room.

Alternately, there is a entrance to the room from the outside. (See map below.) We can use that entrance to load gear in and for people to enter the meet.

If you have any trouble finding the room, you can try calling me on my cell: 619-PHOTOG1 (619-seven four six - eight six four one)

The library opens at 10:00am. If you want to come then to get your gear set up and help setting up the tables, that would be great!

The room is great. It has floor to ceiling windows on three sides. There are lots of power outlets around the base of all four walls. They seem to be spaced about every 6 ft. Please still bring extension cords and power strips just in case.

I would also appreciate it if some people stay later to help put everything away and clean up the kitchen and room, etc.

Here's a map detail:

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 178
reserved, just in case...

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 178
We'd love to commit, but I'm going to be away for a bit in November. I'll see if Tony can take this, or, if not, I can make sure Dan Clark (Mr. Speakers) has all the new and upcoming stuff. Unless there's a blowout for our RMAF plans, that should include Ragnarok and a couple of other surprises that will be announced soon.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 178
I think I can make it I am not sure if I will be in the area though.  Also if I do show up there would be almost no way I could bring any equipment other than a Sanza Fuze + and Astrotec AM-90's.  

Crossing my fingers to be in the area than.  

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 178
I updated the vendor list. Just one day since the announcement and we already have 4 vendors! Thanks vendors.

I think I am going to set up my Realiser, but limit it to 8 personalized demos for the day. Anyone will be able to listen to the Realiser using measurements done with my ears, but if you want to really hear what it can do, I can do measurements using your ears to get the full effect. So, it will be first come, first serve IN THIS THREAD. I will do 1 demo every 45 minutes starting at 11:30am. You can reserve your demo time here.

Just create a post with:

Realiser Demo Reservation

Name:
Time: (pick one that hasn't been reserved):
11:30a 12:15p 1:00p 1:45p 2:30p 3:15p 4:00p 4:45p

Sorry to have to do this, but I am going to have a LOT going on at the meet and I really want to be able to listen to the other gear this year!

-Darin

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 178
Estarei lá!

(I'll be there!)

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 178
Aug 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 178
Quote:
I think I can make it I am not sure if I will be in the area though.  Also if I do show up there would be almost no way I could bring any equipment other than a Sanza Fuze + and Astrotec AM-90's.  

Crossing my fingers to be in the area than.  

No worries if you can't bring any gear. I understand you are traveling all the way from Berkeley. Hope you can make it regardless.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 178
Quote:
No worries if you can't bring any gear. I understand you are traveling all the way from Berkeley. Hope you can make it regardless.

Ya I go to school so I might be "coincidentally" visiting my family down in San Diego that weekend.  We will see.  

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 178
Always nice to be in San Diego.

I will put it in my calendar.

MacBook Pro
Schiit Gungnir
Audeze LDC2's  (These may morph into LCD3's or HD800's)
The Christensen DG 300B (DIY)

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 178
Quote:
I really hope I can make it in SD. It really sucks there isn't anywhere close to UCSD that I can audition a lot of phones

I hope you can make it to the meet.

But for anyone who can't make it, I am working on setting up a "permanent" place where people can come hear a lot of headphone gear. No announcements yet, but things are in the works... Stay tuned. Or PM me and I will put you on the list to be notified in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back