24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Nov 30, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #5,223 of 7,175
But we've all proposed an easier solution for you: Convert a 24 bit file to 16 bit, do an ABX test and post the log here.
And you didn't answer my question. I assume you probably won't this time either, but I'll repeat it for you:

What, if anything, can make you change your mind about your claim that you can hear a difference between 16 and 24 bit?
Or to be more specific, what, if anything, can make you change your mind about your claim that you actually heard audible differences, and can demonstrate it in a blind test, between those particular 16 and 24 bit files that you claim to have listened to?

We will do this on one condition, and only on this one condition: That you use Foobar's ABX plugin to do an ABX test with 16 trials (or more if you wish) and that you post your log and provide other kinds of evidence that we might ask for in case we suspect foul play (although by using Foobar's ABX plugin there most likely won't be anything to ask for).
WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR YOU TO COMMENT ON AAAAAANYTHING! We want you to take an ABX test, not TALK!

Then install Foobar and its separate ABX plugin and report back when that is done.

You may want to consider climbing down from your Soapbox.

He's not answerable to you. You may want to consider working with him in a friendlier manner and dropping the dictatorial tone.

The whole point of an ABX (should be) is to find out what your personal hearing threshold is, he should consider doing it for himself not for the Community or any higher purpose. He has everything to gain by doing it for himself and nothing to lose. If he does an ABX and chooses to publicize his results, good for him. If not, also up to him.

His claims have already been both debunked and beaten down but it's up to him, it's his choice whether he does an ABX or not and it's also up to him if he shares those results IMO.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #5,224 of 7,175
Guys I’ll do as asked in fact I look forward to it. I’m no audio god of hearing. I fo commit to the challenge but also want a simple file playback too. Remember I simply say it’s what I observe and while I get kicked here I have many who also lurk here and laugh at you guys confused conjecture all not based on the one thing we all do play music. One can try to prove what it sounds like with math but since there are many variables from file to the brain some inconsistency is not acknowledged in a pure math conclusion. But to put this Aside I’ll do as asked. After this what is next ?

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #5,227 of 7,175
After this what is next ?

It’s actually very simple to find out if there are differences. You take your favorite HD audio track, convert it to 16/44.1, then back up to HD again. Now you have two files- one is HD and the other is 16/44.1 bumped up to HD. Normalize the two tracks to the exact same volume level. Run the two tracks through Foobar to do a blind comparison and let us know how you do.

We are more than willing to help you do this. But we know how it is going to turn out, because we’ve done this ourselves and we know the difference isn’t audible. If you can consistently hear a difference, the world of digital audio would be interested in studying you and finding out why your ability to hear exceeds the rest of the human race.

Conduct the test fairly and have fun. You will almost certainly be surprised by the results.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #5,228 of 7,175
Ok help me it’s installed. Wish me luck lol. Why food bar anyway ? I assume I use foo st to down sample ?

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #5,229 of 7,175
Ok question how do you select the output device I’m using a Lampi need amanaro right now it’s using windows it’s horrible help me. It’s been years since foobar. Help me baby steps remember ima n idiot so need help lol.

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #5,230 of 7,175
Ok must have a few bad tracks now playing from internal d drive sounds pretty good
But why are some tracks louder then others of same album ? It’s albums I dod some format conversions on. ? Wav , aiff and stock pcm cd rip.
? Any ideas ? the wav seems to have much more body
Ok since I’m getting crickets I’ll do the high def and down sample too and report does it matter for what format I use it will be the same for both

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #5,231 of 7,175
Outline the steps you took clearly.

how did you prepare your two files?

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #5,232 of 7,175
Need dB power amp guys unless you can share how down sample in foobar. J river only lets me lower the bit depth not rate
Help help lol. And yes I’ll say exactly how it’s done

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #5,233 of 7,175
Short question (sorry if this has been answered with the 349 pages):
Why for over a decade now 24 bit vs 16 bit is discussed here, when this is something that is usually not changed independent from the sampling rate?
24/96 is a way more common format than 24/44(48), personally I have seen this with amazon ultra HD.
So why not discussing 16/44 vs 24/96?
Thanks!

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #5,234 of 7,175
It’s why I’m sampling now I found a way to use foobar to down convert from 24/96 to 16/44.1 now playing samples now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back