Quote:
I'll be decommissioning the Mac

eek.gif
confused.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #17 of 39,986

Quote:

Say it ain't so, Silent One! 
wink.gif
 Yup, we're going "commercial" with the SB Touch. I simply wanted something new to go along with the new amp. But I'm not gaining anything, really. Since I'm looking for cash this weekend, I should return it unopened for a refund.

The Mac is already tweaked and isolated. The PC already has a Linux network music server/client setup (MPD/GMPC). I have 'til Tuesday to rethink things. Currently, I'm selling a few things to either return the amp for Glenn to mod for the 5998 tubes; buy new tubes for the amp; buy a Pilot Falcon Metal soft fine nib fountain pen.

If I weren't congested and able to enjoy the music this weekend, I'd go with the mod on Monday without a doubt! 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 39,986

Quote:
No rack, just the corner of the computer desk.  This place isn't big enough for racks, though I will have to figure out something for the next amp.  That thing will probably weigh twice what this one does with all the chokes and output trannies, it might break the glass.

It will break the glass! Leaving us with disturbing images in our minds even if we never see evidence of the crash... 
eek.gif
 the horror. I know you'll arrive at something both stylish and functional.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 39,986

Quote:
It will break the glass! Leaving us with disturbing images in our minds even if we never see evidence of the crash... 
eek.gif
 the horror. I know you'll arrive at something both stylish and functional.

I'll likely arrive at the cheapest piece of furniture I can find that is the proper height and has a thick enough top board. 
tongue_smile.gif
  I would like to "go nice" in all things, but without the means I like to think I put the bulk of the money in the right places and cut corners where it matters the least.  The amp will look that much nicer atop something non-decorative anyway, by way of contrast. 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #20 of 39,986

Quote:
I'll likely arrive at the cheapest piece of furniture I can find that is the proper height and has a thick enough top board. 
tongue_smile.gif
  I would like to "go nice" in all things, but without the means I like to think I put the bulk of the money in the right places and cut corners where it matters the least.  The amp will look that much nicer atop something non-decorative anyway, by way of contrast. 
rolleyes.gif

This too, is my view. Usually, when I cast my wary eye on something decorative, I study to see if the creator had the wisdom to leave something out. Can't wait to see your ensemble... I know I'm not the only one. Without peeking behind the curtains (we wouldn't dare to such a thing to you! 
rolleyes.gif
 ), can you project a time it's likely to be in your listening room?

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #22 of 39,986

Quote:
We're deliberately taking our time right now.  Probably a couple of months still, but no set date really.

The next couple of months inside my listening room is crucial - I want to upgrade. Honestly, what's greed got to do with it? Don't answer that! Anyway, I remain a bit hesitant over the expense of the "X" mod, knowing full well I want another build - 2359glenn spec! 
wink.gif
 That appx $175 could wisely go to the new build, while I raise funds through May. Could I really go without Glass for a couple of months? 
blink.gif

I need to review some of Glenn's notes on possible builds for my recently "reported missing" wallet.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 39,986
So, how does one go about acquiring one of 2359Glenn's creations?  Also, does Glenn to repairs and hotrodding to existing amps?  Like, say, fix and hotrod a sick WA3?

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #24 of 39,986

Quote:
The next couple of months inside my listening room is crucial - I want to upgrade. Honestly, what's greed got to do with it? Don't answer that! Anyway, I remain a bit hesitant over the expense of the "X" mod, knowing full well I want another build - 2359glenn spec! 
wink.gif
 That appx $175 could wisely go to the new build, while I raise funds through May. Could I really go without Glass for a couple of months? 
blink.gif

I need to review some of Glenn's notes on possible builds for my recently "reported missing" wallet.

Well, based on what you told me your priorities for the result are, I do think it would be worth it.  The improvement was more than just subtle, I was honestly quite surprised by it.  Or look at it this way...... I spent the same amount of money and honestly had no idea what to expect when I did since I was the first.  It's a shame the 5998 gets used in so many 6080 circuits and never sees its potential because it is starved of plate current.  It's really a superior tube to the 6AS7 and 6080 if you ask me, more than many folks know.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #26 of 39,986

Quote:
So, how does one go about acquiring one of 2359Glenn's creations?  Also, does Glenn to repairs and hotrodding to existing amps?  Like, say, fix and hotrod a sick WA3?

smiley_thumb.gif
  I'm trying to foster a place for the very questions you asked. A virtual cafe, if you would... come on by and talk to Glenn.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #27 of 39,986

Quote:
Well, based on what you told me your priorities for the result are, I do think it would be worth it.  The improvement was more than just subtle, I was honestly quite surprised by it.  Or look at it this way...... I spent the same amount of money and honestly had no idea what to expect when I did since I was the first.  It's a shame the 5998 gets used in so many 6080 circuits and never sees its potential because it is starved of plate current.  It's really a superior tube to the 6AS7 and 6080 if you ask me, more than many folks know.

Absolutely! I think your creative thinking paid off BIG time! What I'm suggesting is upgrading to a 2A3 based amp now as opposed to investing in an amp that will be moved right away. Hope that lends a bit more clarity. if I'm unable to make the move now and upgrade, I'll do the mod now instead...

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 39,986
I don't have any amp made by Glenn, but I bought a pair of tube adapters some time ago. Great work, very happy with my purchase :wink:

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #29 of 39,986

Quote:

Absolutely! I think your creative thinking paid off BIG time! What I'm suggesting is upgrading to a 2A3 based amp now as opposed to investing in an amp that will be moved right away. Hope that lends a bit more clarity. if I'm unable to make the move now and upgrade, I'll do the mod now instead...

You probably already know this, but my 45 amp project is also a 2A3 amp.  It will be mode switchable, no compromise on the operating point of either tube. 

My interest is primarily in the 45, it is considered the superior tube, but it is nice to have the high power option there.  Honestly, though, a 45 is good for 1.6W even at its more modest 250V plate voltage.  It's a pretty crazy world where that isn't considered enough power for a headphone now.  I suppose the HE6 would certainly benefit from the 3.5W of a 2A3 tube, but my target is LCD-2/3 personally which I'm sure will sound good with either tube.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #30 of 39,986

Quote:
You probably already know this, but my 45 amp project is also a 2A3 amp.  It will be mode switchable, no compromise on the operating point of either tube. 

My interest is primarily in the 45, it is considered the superior tube, but it is nice to have the high power option there.  Honestly, though, a 45 is good for 1.6W even at its more modest 250V plate voltage.  It's a pretty crazy world where that isn't considered enough power for a headphone now.  I suppose the HE6 would certainly benefit from the 3.5W of a 2A3 tube, but my target is LCD-2/3 personally which I'm sure will sound good with either tube.

I like the path you're on! Funny how headphone design has turned listening on its ear! Prices... objectives... performance. Although I understand the Free Market, Adam Smith and Retail Electronics, I still think some pricing in the industry is just ludicrous! This type of thing normally gets reigned in with sanity, competition and the economy. But the industry is riding a wave of growth and prosperity in personal listening and head-fi experiences.

I'm slowly approaching 100 hours on the OTL and already growing restless. I wanna make a move while the amp is till new, still young and still fresh. I got eyes on the 2A3... slow walkin' it down like a Louisiana Bloodhound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back