2359glenn | studio
May 7, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #38,821 of 39,986

Must be a doctor selling this one:
1620407784448.png

The seller did not want to open up the factory sealed box.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333955932905?hash=item4dc15322e9:g:thQAAOSwJz5gc5sP
Must admit that I have never seen this before....
Here is the patient on the X-ray table:
1620407985281.png

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #38,822 of 39,986
Must be a doctor selling this one:
1620407784448.png
The seller did not want to open up the factory sealed box.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333955932905?hash=item4dc15322e9:g:thQAAOSwJz5gc5sP
Must admit that I have never seen this before....
Here is the patient on the X-ray table:
1620407985281.png

Ok, I'm sorry but that almost deserves to be bought just to reward the guy for the awesome picture. That's too freaking cool. I would literally pay to have X-ray negatives made of my favorite tubes. Perfect artwork for the listening area. Imagine framing it and backlighting...

May 7, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #38,823 of 39,986
Ok, I'm sorry but that almost deserves to be bought just to reward the guy for the awesome picture. That's too freaking cool. I would literally pay to have X-ray negatives made of my favorite tubes. Perfect artwork for the listening area. Imagine framing it and backlighting...
Maybe overlay the X-ray with the tube glow?

May 7, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #38,824 of 39,986
Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #38,825 of 39,986
Apparently it is not so simple to take an X-ray picture of a tube:
https://blog.thetubestore.com/getting-closer-look-x-rays-vacuum-tubes/

"few people who know how hard it is to get a crisp x-ray of a vacuum tube. For starters, the object has very little mass to absorb the radiation. And because the edges of the tube curve away from the film, the x-rays get scattered about, causing distortion. So Veasey shot this tube in a series of 10-second bursts. The succession of blasts builds up the energy necessary to capture the fine details, while their short duration keeps background radiation from clouding the picture.”

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #38,826 of 39,986

Yeah...would be awesome pics for a listening room!

May 7, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #38,827 of 39,986
Apparently it is not so simple to take an X-ray picture of a tube:
https://blog.thetubestore.com/getting-closer-look-x-rays-vacuum-tubes/

"few people who know how hard it is to get a crisp x-ray of a vacuum tube. For starters, the object has very little mass to absorb the radiation. And because the edges of the tube curve away from the film, the x-rays get scattered about, causing distortion. So Veasey shot this tube in a series of 10-second bursts. The succession of blasts builds up the energy necessary to capture the fine details, while their short duration keeps background radiation from clouding the picture.”
Come to think of it, we need an MRI image.

May 7, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #38,828 of 39,986
Come to think of it, we need an MRI image.
LOL!

Wouldn't it suck to open up the box and find the getter flash was all powdery white? X-Ray won't show that, maybe an MRI would? :stuck_out_tongue:

May 8, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #38,829 of 39,986
I have not bought any tubes for months now...I have been able to let the urge pass and I have saved some cash.

I had a small relapse last week, but nothing drastic. I have wanted to add this to my rectifier collection for some time, just because I seem to really like Mullard tubes in general.

DSC05613.JPG
DSC05612.JPG
DSC05621.JPG

May 9, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #38,830 of 39,986
I have not bought any tubes for months now...I have been able to let the urge pass and I have saved some cash.

I had a small relapse last week, but nothing drastic. I have wanted to add this to my rectifier collection for some time, just because I seem to really like Mullard tubes in general.

DSC05613.JPG
DSC05612.JPG
DSC05621.JPG
It looks new - no discolouration anywhere...!

May 9, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #38,831 of 39,986
Some fun with power tubes the last few days: this pair of Chathams arrived recently as part of a bulk lot mixed in with very similar looking RCA 6AS7s. There were meant to be 3 of them, but unfortunately one broke in transit :frowning2: The left tube is a bit funky looking on an angle! Early impressions are very good- I find them a little more different than the 5998 than I was expecting in terms of overall weight and slam. The warmth and airy treble presentation is definitely still there though!

1620567019645.png

Given the recent talk about reviving tubes, and my own attempts with a few very beat up GEC 6080s, I remembered this pair of A1834 tubes I had bought a while ago untested and stashed away when they didn't light up. Even the seller himself had put a big X sticker on one of the tubes to indicate its heaters were dead. With some sandpaper and pulling it in and out of a socket saver a dozen times, I got heater continuity again! Running them on the tester, they are showing pretty close to reject, but in the amp tonight, they are still making beautiful music- not to mention the brilliant GEC glow :) Absolutely magical midrange tone and stellar bass response, paired with some Hivac 6C4 tubes.

1620567120389.png

May 13, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #38,833 of 39,986
I've had the Abyss headphones for a week now. I've never had a set of headphones with so many different possible adjustments, but after watching some very good YouTube videos I think I've found the sweet spot for my listening. Amazing how you can adjust the bass, soundstage, position of vocals, etc by small adjustment to the headphones. Anyway, I usually go mountain biking on a Wednesday evening, but after finding my "sweet spot" adjustment wise I ended up listening with the Glenn 300B until midnight...

Not sure how many 300B owners still follow the thread, but this SET 300B amp is a great match for these low impedance 47 ohms and low sensitivity 88 dB/mW planars. Thanks again @2359glenn

Abyss.jpg

May 14, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #38,834 of 39,986
I've had the Abyss headphones for a week now. I've never had a set of headphones with so many different possible adjustments, but after watching some very good YouTube videos I think I've found the sweet spot for my listening. Amazing how you can adjust the bass, soundstage, position of vocals, etc by small adjustment to the headphones. Anyway, I usually go mountain biking on a Wednesday evening, but after finding my "sweet spot" adjustment wise I ended up listening with the Glenn 300B until midnight...

Not sure how many 300B owners still follow the thread, but this SET 300B amp is a great match for these low impedance 47 ohms and low sensitivity 88 dB/mW planars. Thanks again @2359glenn

Very Nice!! Enjoy the good life :)

Beautiful amp..it is cool to see those expensive 300B tubes and just beside them those $5 damper diodes.
I love they lay-out of this amp.
SET amps do indeed go very well with low sensitivity planars.

Enjoy that set-up...that is killer.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #38,835 of 39,986

Abyss.jpg

I still follow the thread but I haven’t had my 300B for over 18 months now. :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back