2359glenn | studio
Dec 26, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #37,861 of 39,986
:o2smile: btw that stereo tube amp you build for yourself and you showed me, is very beautiful. You're getting the aesthetics right. I've no doubt it sounded beautiful too.

Well thank you sir - I document all of my DIY antics on the thread in my signature, have a few builds coming up that I think will be very purdy :)

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #37,862 of 39,986
Enjoying these 1950s Fivre 6C5Gs & Melz outputs.

I noticed that the middle (at least right, perhaps also left - not sure?) output socket is a bit staticy. I thought for weeks it was these Melz outputs. I put some 6080s into the middle row and noticed they had static too. They are always dead silent. As it happens just avoiding that row, these Melz outputs are silent. I'll need to sort out why the socket is staticy, but for now - I'm happy to just avoid and listen.

I hope you are all very well in the wild world. At least we have tubes to keep us company whilst we navigate !

20201227_195026.jpg

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #37,863 of 39,986

I noticed that the middle (at least right, perhaps also left - not sure?) output socket is a bit staticy. I thought for weeks it was these Melz outputs. I put some 6080s into the middle row and noticed they had static too. They are always dead silent. As it happens just avoiding that row, these Melz outputs are silent. I'll need to sort out why the socket is staticy, but for now - I'm happy to just avoid and listen.

I hope you are all very well in the wild world. At least we have tubes to keep us company whilst we navigate !

20201227_195026.jpg
Perhaps the socket got a little dirty inside the pin holes. I did not try this myself but I read that people use pipe cleaners or very small cosmetic brushes with a little rubbing isopropyl alcohol to clean out the socket holes.
Alternatively, perhaps one pin hole isn't tight enough and you would have to tighten it up by pushing on the sides with a thin probe.
Possibly other causes of the static as well.

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #37,864 of 39,986

20201227_195026.jpg

I had the same static/noise problem with one of the sockets on the GOTL. I thought it was a 6BX7 but then I switched to 5998's and it was still there, on the same side. Like @mordy mentioned, I used some pipe cleaners with isopropyl alcohol on all the sockets. While I was at it, I did all the adapters, then blew everything out with compressed air. Haven't had that noise problem since then.

These are the pipe cleaners, recommended by @bcowen on another thread, bought from Amazon:
IMG_2990.JPG

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #37,865 of 39,986
These are the pipe cleaners, recommended by @bcowen on another thread, bought from Amazon:
Can you please share an amazon link for those?
I might as well order some for having around...

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #37,866 of 39,986
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #37,867 of 39,986
I had the same static/noise problem with one of the sockets on the GOTL. I thought it was a 6BX7 but then I switched to 5998's and it was still there, on the same side. Like @mordy mentioned, I used some pipe cleaners with isopropyl alcohol on all the sockets. While I was at it, I did all the adapters, then blew everything out with compressed air. Haven't had that noise problem since then.

IMG_2990.JPG
BTW, they are also great for cleaning pipes :) . And like your using them to clean sockets, they come in handy for all sorts of things.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #37,868 of 39,986
I haven't reached the stage yet where I use different tubes for different types of music - if I find something I like it has to be good for everything.
In general I found the Mullard 6080 very warm sounding, but like everything else it is the synergy between the tubes that counts. The ECC32 is beyond my budget but I have an ECC31 that is supposed to sound similar. Perhaps you have been able to compare the two?
Most of the combination are good for all type of musics and are ok for mixing many kind of tracks.
In fact i use some tube combination for long (>2h) listening session when i choose a majority of track with same type or when i decide to listen complete opera. I do not switch and warm when i change track :wink: It is just that i like warmer sound with most of my blues,jazz, pop and soul listening but prefer a more analytical listening with opera when lot of voice and large orchestra need to be reproduced with a lot of dynamics.

I only have one ECC32 and a pair of ecc31 remaining. You are completely right ECC32 and ECC31 have the same sound signature i also have fdd20 which is a cousin for my ears but i do not use it anymore due to 12V heating.

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #37,869 of 39,986

Indeed tubes will keep us company in wild weather. That's what happen in Sydney yesterday. Thunder so loud I thought the sky fell. Enjoy your music. Tubes look good on GOTL.

Dec 29, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #37,870 of 39,986
Most of the combination are good for all type of musics and are ok for mixing many kind of tracks.
In fact i use some tube combination for long (>2h) listening session when i choose a majority of track with same type or when i decide to listen complete opera. I do not switch and warm when i change track :wink: It is just that i like warmer sound with most of my blues,jazz, pop and soul listening but prefer a more analytical listening with opera when lot of voice and large orchestra need to be reproduced with a lot of dynamics.

I only have one ECC32 and a pair of ecc31 remaining. You are completely right ECC32 and ECC31 have the same sound signature i also have fdd20 which is a cousin for my ears but i do not use it anymore due to 12V heating.
The FDD20 is an Italian Philips 12V tube. From my Little Dot days I have one that was modded from side contact to octal base and wired for external power. Oddly enough, the amp I now have can use 12V tubes but since the FDD20 is wired for external power it will not work unless I set up the external power supply.
Too much trouble - I don't use it anymore. Actually, I tried it once but it did not sound that good although in the Little Dot it complemented the ECC31 well.

LOL - We just have to keep the secret that the ECC31/NR73 sounds similar to the ECC32 at a much lower price (requires an inexpensive adapter).
If you buy this lot of 5 the ECC31/NR73 will cost around $50 each:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-NR73-t...475513?hash=item3ff1313cb9:g:d7UAAOSwMS1fPhCk

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #37,871 of 39,986
Sorry if this is common knowledge, but there are too many pages to go through to figure it out. I have heard some conflicting information, is Glenn still taking orders for amps? Was curious and was interested in possibly grabbing one.

Thanks anybody for the information!

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #37,873 of 39,986
The FDD20 is an Italian Philips 12V tube. From my Little Dot days I have one that was modded from side contact to octal base and wired for external power. Oddly enough, the amp I now have can use 12V tubes but since the FDD20 is wired for external power it will not work unless I set up the external power supply.
Too much trouble - I don't use it anymore. Actually, I tried it once but it did not sound that good although in the Little Dot it complemented the ECC31 well.

LOL - We just have to keep the secret that the ECC31/NR73 sounds similar to the ECC32 at a much lower price (requires an inexpensive adapter).
If you buy this lot of 5 the ECC31/NR73 will cost around $50 each:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-NR73-t...475513?hash=item3ff1313cb9:g:d7UAAOSwMS1fPhCk

Anybody that owns one of Glenns amps should have one of these.....maybe someone will get a group buy going....I don't need any...but for $50 each, that is a great deal on a wonderful tube.

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #37,875 of 39,986

Users who are viewing this thread

Back