2359glenn | studio
Mar 4, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #35,641 of 39,986
Well I am done with buying expensive GEC6AS7s. Had one fail got a replacement now the replacement failed.
Went with a loud pop then hum. I was worried that it blew my Vrite phones but it didn't.
Now using a pair of NEC6AS7s that sound almost as good.
We buy these expensive tubes as NOS but who knows?
You just had bad luck with expensive tubes. 5998, now GEC. I haven't touched my power tube for close to a year.

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #35,642 of 39,986
Switched out the metal KR 6N7 for a Visseaux 6N7 in glass envelope. Using with the 6J7’s adapted to C3g sockets and have in Quad of 6080...

Also super nice sounding!! Hard pressed which 6N7 is better.

Sound stage is rich and engaging when using the 6J7 pair...

:)

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #35,643 of 39,986
Well I am done with buying expensive GEC6AS7s. Had one fail got a replacement now the replacement failed.
Went with a loud pop then hum. I was worried that it blew my Vrite phones but it didn't.

Maybe you should switch to using 6BX7 / 6BL7? But I suspect that this would not be a trivial modification....

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #35,644 of 39,986
These tubes are super old. Amazing most of them still even work. Like you said, in well designed amps like yours and Mischa's, you don't need to be using the super expensive tubes. I'm mainly running used Mullard 6080's that I got for a good price from Billington, and if they blow... well I have plenty more. The GEC power tubes are fun to bring out once in a while, but mostly sit in my "collectors corner" and will be sold when I retire. They are now such old and rare antiques that it almost pains me to use them.

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #35,645 of 39,986
Sorry to hear that Glenn. My Haltron branded A1834 tubes have been living in my Darna for months now and luckily I had no problem so far (knock on wood.) These are very lovely sounding tubes.

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #35,646 of 39,986
These tubes are super old. Amazing most of them still even work. Like you said, in well designed amps like yours and Mischa's, you don't need to be using the super expensive tubes. I'm mainly running used Mullard 6080's that I got for a good price from Billington, and if they blow... well I have plenty more. The GEC power tubes are fun to bring out once in a while, but mostly sit in my "collectors corner" and will be sold when I retire. They are now such old and rare antiques that it almost pains me to use them.

You intend to sell them when you retire? Hmmm... I'm retired... maybe I should sell mine? Nah... I'm going to keep them. :)

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #35,647 of 39,986
The trick is to swap them out, spread it around, then no one tube gets overworked. At least that's what I tell myself. Today it is WE 421A, tomorrow Tung-Sol 6BX7, the next day GEC 6AS7G, and so on. I suppose this is the advantage of a tube rolling amp, with others you just have to have a back stock :)

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #35,648 of 39,986
I think you are in for a real treat, Greg!!

Tried a tube very similar to the the 6J7 - the 6K7. I am endeavoring to understand the differences between the 6J7 and 6K7 from the spec sheets but I don't understand what the minor differences mean. So back to the the most sensitive instrument that we possess: the human ear.
The 6K7 sounds very good with a natural timbre and very good detail but less musical than the 6J7. Now, the differences are there, but I cannot make an apples to apples comparison since I have mainly RCA 6J7 and GE and K-R 6K7.
If you want to try them I would suggest the 6J7.
Switched out the metal KR 6N7 for a Visseaux 6N7 in glass envelope. Using with the 6J7’s adapted to C3g sockets and have in Quad of 6080...

Also super nice sounding!! Hard pressed which 6N7 is better.

Sound stage is rich and engaging when using the 6J7 pair...

Visseaux 6N7G or 6N7GT?

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #35,649 of 39,986
In case anyone was on the fence about adding a VC to compliment your Glenn,ZMF is releasing stabilized wood series. I might have to upgrade...these blow my mind!
They have a tighter faster decay than the mokeypod and other softer woods.

11196310.jpg

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #35,650 of 39,986
Tried a tube very similar to the the 6J7 - the 6K7. I am endeavoring to understand the differences between the 6J7 and 6K7 from the spec sheets but I don't understand what the minor differences mean. So back to the the most sensitive instrument that we possess: the human ear.
The 6K7 sounds very good with a natural timbre and very good detail but less musical than the 6J7. Now, the differences are there, but I cannot make an apples to apples comparison since I have mainly RCA 6J7 and GE and K-R 6K7.

I've been anxiously awaiting this report. I think you said the 6J7 tubes took some time to break in before they sounded good. Is it possible the 6K7 needs more time, or have you already ruled out that question?

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #35,651 of 39,986
In case anyone was on the fence about adding a VC to compliment your Glenn,ZMF is releasing stabilized wood series. I might have to upgrade...these blow my mind!
They have a tighter faster decay than the mokeypod and other softer woods.

11196310.jpg

damnnnnn

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #35,652 of 39,986

Sorry to hear, glad your headphones are ok.
Need to build you an amp using EL34 tube...you can spend a lot for older ones but the newer ones are plentiful and cheap.

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #35,653 of 39,986
I've been anxiously awaiting this report. I think you said the 6J7 tubes took some time to break in before they sounded good. Is it possible the 6K7 needs more time, or have you already ruled out that question?
I did not have the 6K7 in more than around 10 hours, but there was a certain harshness to the sound that made me switch back to the 6J7. In addition, whereas the 6J7 sounded better with the K-R 6N7, it did not improve the sound of the 6K7. The sound of the 6K7 may change with time....don't know.
Just put in another 6N7G tube - a 1946 National Union. Sounds very good but a bit of hum R channel. Switched to a 1957 Visseaux 6N7G - better. Just like JV, can't decide which is better - the K-R or the Visseaux; both are excellent.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #35,654 of 39,986

Hopefully you were not wearing the headphones at the time? That's the scariest aspect of it IMO.

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #35,655 of 39,986
If you want to try them I would suggest the 6J7.

Visseaux 6N7G or 6N7GT?

I have both, but am using the GT currently. Plan to stay with this a week before trying the ST (coke bottle) Visseaux 6N7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back