2359glenn | studio
Sep 3, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #29,671 of 39,986
The sub bass on the VC is noticeably more visceral vs. VO. The VC is still slightly brighter as well.

Sylvania 12sn7/ GEC 6as7g /Mullard GZ34

This roll is okay,nothing spectacular for the VC. It really likes 6bx7s( sorry about your wallet @UntilThen )

Im beginning to think I like the VC more than the VO!

Mr Monster, I've just swapped out Goldie for Basset Hound. If you like bass and warm, you have to listen to the Sansui AU-717 driving Verite Open or LCD-3f. This is the Hercules of bass.

IMG-3385.JPG

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #29,672 of 39,986
@UntilThen ...Matt you are going to need to customize that rack...you will get tired of pulling those heavy amps out to change tubes....can you some how raise the shelve's

You wish is my command. Goldie is taken off the rack. GOTL is still in an awkward position at the bottom. I would have to invest in a proper HiFi rack. Could have taken my home rack but I wanted to leave that at home. Home meaning Sydney.

The rack at home.
IMG-2585.JPG

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #29,674 of 39,986
Just did an a/b on the VO vs VC for sub bass. Using Auteur leather pads on VC,and Universe leather perf pads on VO(my two preferred pads respectively)

Used this track.

The sub bass on the VC is noticeably more visceral vs. VO. The VC is still slightly brighter as well.

Sylvania 12sn7/ GEC 6as7g /Mullard GZ34

This roll is okay,nothing spectacular for the VC. It really likes 6bx7s( sorry about your wallet @UntilThen )

Im beginning to think I like the VC more than the VO!

Thanks much for this Monster. In my mind my thought was more visceral in the closed can...seems to hold true most of the time.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #29,675 of 39,986
Might as well face the inevitable. You're going to end up with a GOTL, GEL3N (or GEL34) and a 300B. You could spend your money on far, far worse things and these things should at least hold their value.

You make me smile with this statement but you're right about spending money on far, far worst things. Several years ago I was crazy about car audio. Not the doof doof boom boom kind. Ones that do Eva Cassidy justice. I blew 11k on 2 professional car installs just so I can take part in the car audio comp and I did win a rookie of the year trophy. :ksc75smile:

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #29,676 of 39,986
Speaking of Eva Cassidy. A talent gone too soon. Just listen to her rendition of 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' with Verite. I had to hug a pillow. Not even Art Garfunkel comes close. :)

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #29,677 of 39,986
I heard Eva Cassidy sing 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' on Studio Six and Verite Open. Studio Six has my best tubes. Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, 2 x Brimar CV511 (6V6 equivalent), Raytheon Ob2, GEC U52. In this rendition, I hug the pillow.

Then I switch over to GOTL and it has Mullard ECC33 with Tung Sol and RCA 6 x 6BX7gt. In this rendition, I hug the amp.

Secretly I wanted Studio Six to sound better because it cost me more and the quality of construction is first class. Make no mistake, it's a great sounding amp. Probably the best I've heard. However each time I swapped over to GOTL, my jaws dropped. How can the GOTL sound better on Verite. Don't make no sense. Well it makes a lot of sense. If you have a GOTL with sextet 6BL7, it's a very unpretentious OTL amp but the sound, my word !!!

Sep 3, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #29,678 of 39,986
After working the holiday weekend, it's time to kick back and relax on this Tuesday morning...NOT. There is more work to be done....my decade-long student life is coming to an end in three months, it cannot come any sooner.

While I sit here and study, I've decided I need a break from the hyper-detailed and aggressive sound of the Tung-Sol 7802. I need something more laid-back, a little more lush. The Visseaux 6N7G and Bendix 6080WB are doing it for me right now with the Auteur. Listening to Jon Hopkins - Singularity.

DSCF5444-2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #29,679 of 39,986
Thanks for the recommendation, will consider it. Would it sound just as well driven by an 8-ohm load, or would it be better to get a specific 12-ohm output on my amp for these? But then would a 12 ohm load drive most other 8 ohm speakers well also?

Consider Omega loudspeakers as well. I got some customized CAM monitors from him recently and am quite pleased overall. They are less forward than Zu speakers are and are a true single driver design..... no supertweeter.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #29,680 of 39,986
And to come back to topic - my favorite tube picture: A C3g without the metal shield run at a plate voltage of 425V:
They look cool but I'm convinced that removing the cans screws up the way these tubes sound. Yamamoto Soundcraft does it to the tubes they send stock with their amps, so maybe I'm crazy who knows, but I hear what I hear.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #29,681 of 39,986
After working the holiday weekend, it's time to kick back and relax on this Tuesday morning...NOT. There is more work to be done....my decade-long student life is coming to an end in three months, it cannot come any sooner.

While I sit here and study, I've decided I need a break from the hyper-detailed and aggressive sound of the Tung-Sol 7802. I need something more laid-back, a little more lush. The Visseaux 6N7G and Bendix 6080WB are doing it for me right now with the Auteur. Listening to Jon Hopkins - Singularity.

I’m so missing my GOTL right now. I’ve lent it to a friend/audiophile so he can listen to it and review it. It’s been out for two weeks and I won’t be getting it back this week but these pictures are making it hurt more, lol.

It’s good timing though. I don’t have space for it and the other amps I currently have in the room. Once I send back the Toolshed Amp then my baby will be back in my arms.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #29,682 of 39,986
They look cool but I'm convinced that removing the cans screws up the way these tubes sound. Yamamoto Soundcraft does it to the tubes they send stock with their amps, so maybe I'm crazy who knows, but I hear what I hear.
Hi X255,
Tube glow sells! That’s why I can still pick up all metal 6N7 tubes for less than $3.
We once had a salesman for high end hi fi on the Elise thread and he said that you cannot sell very expensive tube amps (in Europe) if they don’t have a strong tube glow (to impress your friends).....
All my ten C3g tubes wear the shield of honor except for one that I dissected after the fragile glass cracked.
8508711_l.jpg

I think that this is an enhanced light from more sources than the tube.

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #29,683 of 39,986
I’m so missing my GOTL right now. I’ve lent it to a friend/audiophile so he can listen to it and review it. It’s been out for two weeks and I won’t be getting it back this week but these pictures are making it hurt more, lol.

It’s good timing though. I don’t have space for it and the other amps I currently have in the room. Once I send back the Toolshed Amp then my baby will be back in my arms.
Hi Phantaminum,
Isn't it amazing how attached you get to your equipment? And when something breaks or doesn't work right, it is a horrible feeling.....

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #29,684 of 39,986
Hi X255,
Tube glow sells! That’s why I can still pick up all metal 6N7 tubes for less than $3.
We once had a salesman for high end hi fi on the Elise thread and he said that you cannot sell very expensive tube amps (in Europe) if they don’t have a strong tube glow (to impress your friends).....
All my ten C3g tubes wear the shield of honor except for one that I dissected after the fragile glass cracked.

I think that this is an enhanced light from more sources than the tube.

Hi Mordy, what brand C3g tubes do you have and any major audio difference between them that you can tell? My GOTL build will have the C3g sockets but I have not sourced any C3g tubes yet.

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #29,685 of 39,986
Hi Phantaminum,
Isn't it amazing how attached you get to your equipment? And when something breaks or doesn't work right, it is a horrible feeling.....

No kidding. I thought I was a strong but I just want to sit down with the GOTL and say, “Ah, that’s the stuff right there”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back