2359glenn | studio
Aug 28, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #29,387 of 39,986
I don't aware anyone is using cheap equipment here. If one cannot pass these simple tests, I will have trouble to trust his/her recommendations.

BTW, I had tried my best not to recommend anything here.

TTFN.
All right, attmci, I see that I have to take this much more seriously to win your confidence - really just listened a few seconds to the same track three times and not the whole track; not really my kind of taste in music either.....
We'll figure it out......

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #29,388 of 39,986
Have I mentioned that I like 6J5 tubes?

I'm considering an experiment. My theory is that having the triodes in separate tubes is what accounts for the increased separation and soundstage of the 6J5s over the 6SN7s.

Deyan has a pair of 6SN7 to 6J5 adapters on eBay, each adapter from the pair uses a single triode section of a 6SN7 with the 6J5 pinout. So, I could take my matched pairs of 6SN7s and run them each with a single triode in my 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter and see if the increased staging is there relative to running a single tube with both triodes. Pairs I have to test would be Brimar CV1988, RFT 6SN7, Sylvania 6SN7W metal base, along with a few others.

I think it could be an interesting little experiment! Not to mention if my theory is true, I could squeeze a little more performance out of my 6SN7 pairs :)

Also, each adapter uses the opposite triode, so you can switch them back and forth to make sure the sections stay matched in each 6SN7.

You guys are starting to pique my curiosity with this whole 6J5 thing. I have read in other places that getting each triode section into a different piece of glass has benefits. Mostly I suspect it eliminates cross-talk interference between channels. For amps that use two 6SN7 tubes the question really comes down to implementation. Some amps only use one triode section and leave the other one unused, which is pretty silly, where as others parallel both sections together to make for a driver that's a got a bit more oomph to drive a demanding output tube.
Exactly folks, that's what I had felt it was too. The two isolated triodes of two 6J5 can enhance instrument separation vs. two triodes in the same 6SN7 tube - possibly from less cross talk. I also think the larger soundstage may have something to do with double the bottle size when using two, and especially the ST-shaped ones seem to yield an even bigger soundstage. (this was all based off previous amps).

Also @JazzVinyl I agree with you there's nothing wrong with Chinese adapters. They make some extremely solid adapters for example the simple 6SN7 to 6N7 adapters. But IMO their circuit quality takes a step back when it comes to their more complex adapters such as their 6SN7 to dual 6J5 adapters, which you can see uses very thin wires. Not guaranteeing an audible difference will be heard, but I'll be getting one of @Deyan's 6SN7 to dual 6J5 adapters (among others) to compare after getting my amp. I'm very much looking forward to it Glenn!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #29,389 of 39,986
Aug 29, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #29,390 of 39,986
I think the science behind DBT and other such things is fascinating, particularly the psychology behind how our subconscious minds work to distort our perception of things. Over the years I've come to believe two things about this hobby:

1) The hows and whys behind what you hear don't necessarily matter. If whatever it is causes a positive or negative change in your enjoyment of it then it's worthy of attention. Whether or not it's measurable or just in your head. The effect and impact on you is real so there is a "realness" to whatever you are hearing even if science says it's all in your head.

2) The only listening impressions that matter at all and can be trusted are the ones that have been built over a long period of time. I mean leaving everything unchanged for 3-6 months or more. Your subconscious just seems to "know" in a way you can trust when you deviate from this norm once it is this well established. Likewise everytime I've determined that something is off or wrong it has grown out of this feeling of something just feeling "off" that builds and builds until it's impossible to ignore. Without a strong established norm I don't think this could happen.

Great post.

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #29,391 of 39,986
GOTL is still amazing despite the arrival of Studio Six. The black 6sn7gt in it now was given to me by the seller of the Studio Six. I thought it was a Ken Rad 6sn7gt but when I look at it again, the engraved wording at the base says Brimar BVA 6sn7gt. Looks exactly like this tube. https://tubedatabase.co/tubes/brimar-6sn7gt-black-glass

So is it a Ken Rad, Tung Sol or Brimar black glass? I have no clue but it sure sound lovely. As good as my Tung Sol 12SL7GT bgrp and Ken Rad 6sn7gt. What do you think @gibosi ?

IMG-3368.JPG

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #29,392 of 39,986
Aug 29, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #29,393 of 39,986
I've recognized easily 5/6 , exception was Coldplay where I chose the 320kbps MP3. However, I guess this can be easily tricked by chossing the file which has the biggest delay until starting. Normally the uncompressed WAV is much bigger than the 128kbps or 320kbps MP3 so the caching process might take longer.

The context of that NPR site was to prove "you cannot hear the difference between MP3 and Lossless"

You get what they intended, via unknown quality feeds.

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #29,394 of 39,986
Well, in my case they failed. For me it is an audible difference between MP3 and FLAC. More than this, I find some differences between different FLAC encodings. For example yesterday I had to re-enconde via dbPowerAmp my Demons & Wizards remasters. Hard to say why, the same File encoded by EAC or dbPowerAmp has different size and for me the latest sounds better. With that ocassion I was again impressed by the incredible artwork:

Demons-Wizards.jpg

We loose a lot with streaming services or digital media. Nothing pleases better than the good old CD booklets.

Aug 29, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #29,396 of 39,986
Aug 29, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #29,397 of 39,986
Aug 29, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #29,398 of 39,986
Thanks. I had no idea Brimar makes 6sn7gt. This was given to me free. There's no noise and sounds great.

I check ebay and there's one for sale at US$390 and it's not even fully black. :)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRIMAR-...m1eebff71b8:g:ezcAAOSwBG1cybW-&frcectupt=true

There were several versions of the Brimar 6SN7GT.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-6sn7-identification-guide.209782/ (Scroll down a bit more than halfway to the section on European 6SN7)

Those with black glass were the earliest and heat radiators extending above the top mica is another distinguishing feature. Even though I would describe the one you found on eBay as having smoked glass, you can clearly see the heat radiators, so it is an early one. Later tubes, with clear glass, didn't have those heat radiators.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #29,399 of 39,986
There were several versions of the Brimar 6SN7GT.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-6sn7-identification-guide.209782/ (Scroll down a bit more than halfway to the section on European 6SN7)

Those with black glass were the earliest and heat radiators extending above the top mica is another distinguishing feature. Even though I would describe the one you found on eBay as having smoked glass, you can clearly see the heat radiators, so it is an early one. Later tubes, with clear glass, didn't have those heat radiators.

Actually Ken some clear glass Brimar have the heat radiators.

BTW they are not heat radiators but tensioners.

6SN7GTY:CV1988 Brimar (Clear Glass version 1).jpg

6SN7GTY:CV1988 Brimar (Clear Glass version 2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back