2359glenn | studio
Jan 18, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #35,146 of 39,986
@paramesh is the new lucky owner,and yes I agree,he basically got the amp for free w/ all those tubes thrown in.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #35,147 of 39,986
Nice! Congrats on the new Glenn OTL @paramesh

Enjoy that amp to the fullest, especially with that tube horde. Going to be some fun times ahead of you tube rolling the heck out of that amp.

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #35,148 of 39,986
I have just been enjoying listening to my music, and not worrying about much else :)
No worries - I got too many tubes already!! Just never heard of EL37 before, so was a little curious... :wink:

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #35,149 of 39,986
Congrats to @paramesh and I hope you will be a regular on the Glenn thread. UT was very welcoming to me when I got the GOTL from @Phantaminum last year, so I look forward to welcoming another new owner of a GOTL. I'm still having a blast with mine. Even though I got a huge tube stash from Phantaminum in the sale with the GOTL, I think I have still doubled that collection since then. Tube buying addiction is for reals :).

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #35,150 of 39,986
No worries - I got too many tubes already!! Just never heard of EL37 before, so was a little curious... :wink:
It's a great tube. Another similar one is the EL35. The earliest versions have a large ST/bulbous shape (like the earliest KT66), but can be expensive (like the earliest KT66...). Lamberto had a few of the EL37 ST NOS for sale a while ago. You can sometimes pick them up for cheaper tho if you don't mind the faded print, 90% test results and in singles rather than pairs (which is what I've done). As is typical with most tube manufacturers, there are multiple slightly different construction versions (getters, etc).

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #35,151 of 39,986
I just got word from Glenn that my amp is next, after @Zachik . I think we met at SoCal CanJam, where are you at out of curiosity? And @carlman14 let me know when you get yours. And I guess you'll see me next weekend at the small Seattle cafe headphone meet I've set up.

He's also including 2-way cathode bias switch with one setting for EL34, EL12 and EL39, and another for the rest such as EL3N, EL12 Spez, KT66, KT88, etc. That's awesome he's figured out those settings for me! Anyone know, what if I mistakenly use the wrong bias switch settings - I'm assuming that won't cause any major issues? Maybe it will even sound better, HaHa.

Has anyone else around here gotten a Glenn SET amp? It seems like I'm the only one, save for a few GEL3N amps a long time back.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #35,152 of 39,986
Also for the rectifier I will have a plugin-in Hexfred and and "5 volt rectifier tubes and the 3.3 volt 3DG4. Plus 4 volt rectifiers with a B4 to 3DG4 adapter like GEC U18/20". I have no idea where to begin on this. @mordy do you have a cheap good one? And @UntilThen maybe you have an extra one since you won't be needing those with your current setup.

And does anyone have an adapter?
And advice on which one sounds best? I like transparent organic sounds, also maybe another with good rhythm / slam.
thanks

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #35,153 of 39,986
Sorry DL I don't have adapters for 4 volt rectifiers. I only have 3 rectifiers - GEC U52, Cossor 53ku and Mullard GZ34 blackburn. These are use direct into Studio Six and Woo Audio WA22.

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #35,154 of 39,986
I confirmed an order with Glenn for a "basic OTL" with some upgrades - Lundahl transformer, two 6AS7 type output tubes, two 6J5 drivers instead of a 6SN7, and a rectifier tube, Gold Point stepped attenuator, Jupiter coupling capacitors, and XLR input/outputs. (Ha, just read what I typed and think it actually sounded like I knew what I was talking about! I don't, I'm just following the suggestions of others with Glenn's advice.)

Be awhile of course, but still, exciting to know I'll be getting it. I'm enjoying the Auteur with my current set up, so I'm looking forward to hearing them with a Glenn.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #35,155 of 39,986
Jan 19, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #35,156 of 39,986
Jan 19, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #35,157 of 39,986
It was almost worth buying just for the tubes! Let alone the amp. Best way to kick the addition... sell the amp. I'm almost 3 weeks into my new years resolution of not buying any more tubes... but it's tough lol.

Haha yeah I am done with tube rolling. It's a beautiful amp though in tip top condition. @paramesh is very excited even though he already has a Teton and some serious stats gear.

Enjoy Para !

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #35,158 of 39,986
I just got word from Glenn that my amp is next, after @Zachik . I think we met at SoCal CanJam, where are you at out of curiosity? And @carlman14 let me know when you get yours. And I guess you'll see me next weekend at the small Seattle cafe headphone meet I've set up.

He's also including 2-way cathode bias switch with one setting for EL34, EL12 and EL39, and another for the rest such as EL3N, EL12 Spez, KT66, KT88, etc. That's awesome he's figured out those settings for me! Anyone know, what if I mistakenly use the wrong bias switch settings - I'm assuming that won't cause any major issues? Maybe it will even sound better, HaHa.

Has anyone else around here gotten a Glenn SET amp? It seems like I'm the only one, save for a few GEL3N amps a long time back.

I put in an order back in Sep. Just waiting patiently for that next PM! When did you put your order in?

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #35,160 of 39,986
Also for the rectifier I will have a plugin-in Hexfred and and "5 volt rectifier tubes and the 3.3 volt 3DG4. Plus 4 volt rectifiers with a B4 to 3DG4 adapter like GEC U18/20". I have no idea where to begin on this. @mordy do you have a cheap good one? And @UntilThen maybe you have an extra one since you won't be needing those with your current setup.

And does anyone have an adapter?
And advice on which one sounds best? I like transparent organic sounds, also maybe another with good rhythm / slam.
thanks
Hi DL,
My GOTL has a built in Hexfred and no rectifier socket. You can contact Deyan for any adapters you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back