2359glenn | studio
Nov 9, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #34,141 of 39,986
According the web site they are using the engine 53 or something similar for TRP? Is that D/S?
Yes. As I said,if I had known prior to taking in the loaner that it was a delta sigma I'd probably not even wanted to hear it. DS DACs in my experience are harsh,etched,digital sounding,whereas R2R DACs are typically warmer,more analogue sounding.

I was shocked by what the TRP sounded like,being a D/S design...in a good way.

Nov 9, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #34,142 of 39,986
Yes. As I said,if I had known prior to taking in the loaner that it was a delta sigma I'd probably not even wanted to hear it. DS DACs in my experience are harsh,etched,digital sounding,whereas R2R DACs are typically warmer,more analogue sounding.

I was shocked by what the TRP sounded like,being a D/S design...in a good way.

Gotcha.

As I said, going from an R2R to the engine 53 in my Big 7 was a significant upgrade.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #34,143 of 39,986
Gotcha.

As I said, going from an R2R to the engine 53 in my Big 7 was a significant upgrade.
Yeah,I havent heard any of the R2R Lampis yet,but the TRP is stupid good. Can you comment on the KT66 question I posted above?

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #34,144 of 39,986
... DS DACs in my experience are harsh,etched,digital sounding,whereas R2R DACs are typically warmer,more analogue sounding...

+1.

NOS (Non-oversampling) DACs are a subset of R2R. They tend to be even more relaxed and analogue sounding than the typical R2R DAC.If that sound signature is your thing, then I would recommend trying a NOS R2R DAC.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #34,145 of 39,986
For anyone who has the GEC KT66s or knows about them....

I was talking to Andy over at Vintage Tube Services and he has a matched pair with the original factory tape on the boxes saying theyre identical as well. Smoked glass,wants $560.00 for the pair,thing is theyre branded Genalex. He claims theyre made by Osram/Marconi. I asked for photos but he said he couldnt provide them until next week.

Is what he is saying correct,or is he blowing smoke up my rear?

It is definitely possible that they were made by Osram/Marconi. I have seen something similar for other tube types.

$560 seems a little pricey. I don't use KTXX in my Big 7 but I use KT88s in my Zesto BIA120 amp and I bought a quad of GEC for 8-900.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #34,146 of 39,986
On the subject of NOS R2R, a few years ago, I was very interested in trying a DAC from MHDT Labs, NOS R2R with a 2C51 tube output buffer. I am thinking of trying to demo one before making any final DAC decisions, I have read good things about the Pagoda.

Anyone heard one of these? They seem to have something of a following.

pagoda-top.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #34,147 of 39,986
$560 is a little high, but not too far off the going price for a pair of genuine NOS black base smoked glass KT66.

KT88 are about $400+ each for genuine NOS - if they ever appear for sale. I too paid about $800 for a quad of KT88 for my Mac amps. They tested as NOS, but were lightly used. Most of the ones on eBay have been heavily used - the getter flashing (brown color, or lack of) gives them away. For example, here's a GEC/Genalex that you want to totally avoid as most of the side getter flashings have disappeared.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genalex-KT88-Circa-Mid-Century/193119393657

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #34,148 of 39,986
Yes, having tubes amplifying the analog signal rather than an opamp is what I think gives tube DAC's their distinctive signature. Lampizator is also doing some sort of magic with the conversion from ones and zeros to analog in their DAC engine.
Interesting, I would presume the tube buffer (if this is the right term) may contribute to the reason this D/S DAC is said to sound so analogue. Does anyone know which D/S chip it uses, for example Sabre 9038, etc.? Personally I've preferred Wolfson chips over Sabre. But I also prefer multibit, so far anyway.

I used to brew beer when I was a graduate student, then I moved to Portland, OR after I graduated. This was in 2003. My own personal brewing stopped when I got there, because I could easily get to more microbreweries than I could possibly deal with, with lots of good IPAs. Too many beers, too little time (kind of like tubes).
Wow finally someone who's younger than me here. I graduated in '97. (H.S.)

Honestly, first time I have heard an unmistakable difference in a DAC. In the past, it has been too close to call, with the Amber 3 it slaps you right in the face, a very warm and mellow, and satisfying slap :) the DACs I have been comparing it to sound very bright and harsh by comparison. I was skeptical, but I am glad I was wrong. I only wish the chassis had a smaller footprint, but it doesn't sound like that is going to be an option.
But what if you're in the mood for a bright and detailed sound, or want to counter a dark recording? Is the Lamp 3 in general on the darker side of linear? For me, linearity is utmost importance otherwise it throws my whole system and track selection off balance.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #34,149 of 39,986
But what if you're in the mood for a bright and detailed sound, or want to counter a dark recording? Is the Lamp 3 in general on the darker side of linear? For me, linearity is utmost importance otherwise it throws my whole system and track selection off balance.

I would say the Amber 3 is warmer than the solid-state DACs I have been using, but not super gooey, overly warm, just warm of neutral, very smooth and non-fatiguing. I'm certain I could make changes in the GOTL to brighten things up if I needed to, my secret weapon in this department is the Tung-Sol 7802. Changing tubes in the DAC may also affect the perceived frequency response.

Wow finally someone who's younger than me here. I graduated in '97. (H.S.)

I'm pretty certain I'm the youngest regular here, but I will leave my age up to the imagination :)

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #34,150 of 39,986
Hi leftside,
How does the lack of getter flashing affect the tube and the sound?
I thought that the getter flash was a one time event to remove oxygen and impurities from the gas in the tube in order to improve the vacuum.
The only way I know of how to visually identify a heavily used tube is to look for anode boil off (deposits) inside the top of the glass on a cleartop tube - does not work if the top is covered by the getter flash.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #34,151 of 39,986

My DAC journey went from a Chord Mojo to a AGD R2R-11 to a EAD DSP 7000 Mk lll(legendary vintage R2R DAC) to a Vinshine R2R Ref 1(which is for sale BTW).
The Vinshine was the airiest,most spacious,brightest of the lot,but in comparison to the TRP it sounds like a warm blanket.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #34,152 of 39,986
$560 is a little high, but not too far off the going price for a pair of genuine NOS black base smoked glass KT66.

KT88 are about $400+ each for genuine NOS - if they ever appear for sale. I too paid about $800 for a quad of KT88 for my Mac amps. They tested as NOS, but were lightly used. Most of the ones on eBay have been heavily used - the getter flashing (brown color, or lack of) gives them away. For example, here's a GEC/Genalex that you want to totally avoid as most of the side getter flashings have disappeared.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genalex-KT88-Circa-Mid-Century/193119393657

Apparently the KT66s in question still have the "matched pair" factory tape on the boxes and measure identical across the board,so it might be worth the extra $$$. I will get the date codes tomorrow.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #34,154 of 39,986
Hi leftside,
How does the lack of getter flashing affect the tube and the sound?
I thought that the getter flash was a one time event to remove oxygen and impurities from the gas in the tube in order to improve the vacuum.
The only way I know of how to visually identify a heavily used tube is to look for anode boil off (deposits) inside the top of the glass on a cleartop tube - does not work if the top is covered by the getter flash.
With the KT88, you can spot the less well used ones if they have large/shiny silver getter flashings on the sides. The earlier KT88 just have a top getter, so this doesn't apply here. The more these tubes are used, the getter flashing starts to shrink and go brown. Might be particular to the KT88 - not sure.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #34,155 of 39,986
Those of us on a budget...
Have a 'Muse' DAC that is NOS and uses a quad of 1543 DAC chips. Sounds really nice, very natural, laid back / different from the edgy and aggressive DAC's sound spoken about here....

That goes into an ECC88 Tube buffer and on to amplification...

It is very satisfactory, and I wonder how it would compare to some of the tube buffer/dacs, mentioned here...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back