$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Aug 30, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #212 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep
opened the box. and wonder.. no wires..

do i have to buy the wires seperately?

Yes, you'll need to get some speaker wire. Anything larger than 18ga or so should be fine (Note: 12ga is larger than 14ga, which is larger than 18ga--it's a slightly counterintuitive naming convention).

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #213 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX
Yes, you'll need to get some speaker wire. Anything larger than 18ga or so should be fine (Note: 12ga is larger than 14ga, which is larger than 18ga--it's a slightly counterintuitive naming convention).

tested with 26 ga silver plated copper and it sounds pretty good. i guess ill make a pair of IC asap..

Aug 30, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #214 of 473
It really depends on the power rating of your amp. If you go with 14-18ga, you should be fine for anything. If 26ga is working for you and sounds great, go for it.

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #215 of 473
switched to 3 strands of 26 on each so.. 12 strands, left and right channel, altogether.. it works, it works..

it's pretty late at night so.. i cant really test this.. ill have to wait 'til day to test this thing for real..

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #216 of 473
Damn how could I have missed this thread.
Those speakers look very interesting.
(Not just the shape of the enclosure but like the front cover has a high gloss shine.
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus it uses carbon fiber cone. lol)

After reading all the reviews on these speakers seems like they perform like a $100 shelf speaker but at half the cost.
I'm looking into buying these sometime soon.

Does it acutally have like a 5-way binding post in the back of the speaker or am I forced to use banana plugs?
Also is there any other info I should be noted about these speakers?

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #217 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
After reading all the reviews on these speakers seems like they perform like a $100 shelf speaker but at half the cost.
I'm looking into buying these sometime soon.

Does it acutally have like a 5-way binding post in the back of the speaker or am I forced to use banana plugs?
Also is there any other info I should be noted about these speakers?

They have binding posts. Very nice ones, actually, however, I think the spacing is wrong if you have dual banana plugs. The people I have played these for have guessed the price to be anywhere between $200 and $1000
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #218 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
They have binding posts. Very nice ones, actually, however, I think the spacing is wrong if you have dual banana plugs. The people I have played these for have guessed the price to be anywhere between $200 and $1000
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ok thanks!

hahaha... I do agree these speakers look like some of the "high-end" speakers that you would normally find in an audio hi-fi shop going for like $300.
If I didn't know the brand nor know where you acutally brought it, I would be fooled these are real entry-level speakers just by looking at it.

Sep 7, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #219 of 473
I did a bit of research, but I'm too lazy right now to do extensive searching. Could someone give me a simple answer of whether or not a T-amp would be suitable for these speakers? Thanks.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #220 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
I did a bit of research, but I'm too lazy right now to do extensive searching. Could someone give me a simple answer of whether or not a T-amp would be suitable for these speakers? Thanks.

T-amp should be fine.
I am picking up a pair tomorow for my cousin's rig
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #221 of 473
i actually decided i really like these. go figure. with a sub and active xover they can best a lot of the $300-$400 junk also at cc and bb. that is not saying they are great. it is saying there are worse speakers for 5 times their price. that's all.

music_man

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #222 of 473
Quote:

I'm using them with a t-amp with 8 AA batteries. It clearly does not have enough power, speakers start distorting past 1'oclock on the t-amp knob.

I don't know how others can use them with a regular t

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #223 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
I'm using them with a t-amp with 8 AA batteries. It clearly does not have enough power, speakers start distorting past 1'oclock on the t-amp knob.

I don't know how others can use them with a regular t

What is your source? An iPod? Maybe try using a headphone amp as a preamp if you have one. *edit* IIRC, the T-Amp is a completely different beast with an AC adapter.

Sep 9, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #224 of 473
Just got these speakers today. Man...they sound way better than any of my multimedia speakers -- like way, way better. They're giving me a similar experience to what I hear with my headphones, however, two things: they have quite a lot of midbass, and I keep on wondering where the low bass extension that I've heard on my headphones is. It looks like a subwoofer may be the next thing on my mind.

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #225 of 473
^ I got them as well today.
smily_headphones1.gif

They are not that big in person. (probably because I'm used to big floorstanding tower speakers)

I'm powering them with 100w per channel and they are hooked up with Acoustic Research 16ga wire.

I must say that the sound quality was impressive for the price. They have a bit of a dark tone to them with good highs at the same time.
The mids are held back a bit, Lots of mid-bass too with good impact.
Overall the speakers have a "fast" response.

The bulid quality is stiff and sturdy. The binding post on the back are of good quality as too. You could use banana plugs to connect the wires if you need but not required.

Overall I'm impressed by them. Fun speakers to just well have fun listen to music with!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back