[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Apr 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #3,181 of 7,442

so with an iPhone it does not sound that good?

definitely just like the Havi B3, both of them are source dependent

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo that was the best part about the monk. Iphone was enough for it.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #3,182 of 7,442
Is there a comparison anywhere either on this thread or somewhere else on the head-fi portable forum that puts these Monk Plus Earbuds up against Blox's BE3 and M2C. I own both, but I'm waiting on the Monk + from Aliexpress and while waiting, I'm curious to know where the Monks are on the food chain in comparison to the M2C's and BE3's and if there's anything on the VE lineup that can get to the sound quality of Blox's legendary TM7 which obviously are no longer available. I've owned the Yuin PK1's and know that an amp is the only way to get them to shine, so anything that's high impedance, I'd use with my FIIO's E12A Mont Blanc portable amp, so my question is how much of a step up are the Monk+ earbuds to the Zen 2.0 when used with an AMP. Sorry if this has been part of the discussion, but this thread is up to Page 213 and a search didn't produce any results.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #3,183 of 7,442
so with an iPhone it does not sound that good?

APOLOGIES! I am referring to the original Monk, not the +. Serves me right for not reading the rest of the thread...:cold_sweat:

I have no problems with my iPhone 6+, and the Monk. They sound wonderful together. Full, good sound. Very detailed, too. The details of the Monk through the iPhone are quite good. It is a wonderful set up.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #3,184 of 7,442
  nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo that was the best part about the monk. Iphone was enough for it.

With due respect to some of the other posters - I have the Monk+, my iPhone 5S, and an X1 + HVA (hybrid valve amp) in front of me.

Playing same track - iPhone is at around 40-45% for comfortable listening volume.  The two combos sound a bit different.  The Tube amp brings out maybe a little more low end - but it is slight - not night and day - and is simply because it is the signature of that particular amp. Both set-ups sound fantastic with the Monk+.  My preference for overall tonality would be the X1 + HVA => but that is preference only.

The Monk+ doesn't sound the slightest bit under-driven with the iPhone 5s.

For a portable and brilliant sounding combo - the iPhone is fine with the Monk+.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #3,185 of 7,442
definitely just like the Havi B3, both of them are source dependent

No Monk is not like Havi when it comes to be driven by a phone. You can drive them fine through a phone. No need to amp like Havi B3!

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #3,188 of 7,442

They run absolutely fine from a phone.

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #3,190 of 7,442
In the morning, the Monk sounds like a good cup of coffee, and in the evening like a good glass of red wine. Oh man....  
normal_smile .gif

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #3,192 of 7,442
Little off-topic. I was listening to Monk and Monk+ connected to my honor 3c and nexus 7. The difference between these sources was marginal to me. Now I got MusicMaker Tomahawk that is valued as higher-middle class in sound quality and is also 32 ohm. Unfortunately Tomahawk seems to be a little under-powered with honor 3c. Is more neutral than monk1 but also lacks crisp, fun and soundstage I was expecting. On the other hand the nexus can drive it quite easily and is able to get more from Tomahawk. I am wondering whether there is any comparison thread or website that having info about what headphone output do mobile phones have. Any advice? (Other than "buy better DAC" :)

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #3,194 of 7,442
disagree. Impedance is high for phone. Cant power it :p

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #3,195 of 7,442
Morning Sun is shining through my window. Nothing to do. Nothing on my mind. Listening to Miles Davis "Blue in Green" through the X7 and the Monk. This the perfect moment, folks....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back