[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Mar 5, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #2,041 of 7,442
I´m just listening to Santana´s "Caravanserai" in 24/96, atm. One of my favorite albums of all time. This is really such a beautiful experience with the monks...

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,042 of 7,442
  That was my rig he posted :) I went from Fiio X5 gen1 to Fiio X7 and it is a pretty darn big upgrade. Soundstage is massive and all the VE buds seem to play excellent from the X7. I don´t know what it is about the Monks but I feel they scales exceptionally well with gear.

+1
Got my Fiio X7 today. Plugged in the monks. Audio nirvana, here I come!  :)

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #2,046 of 7,442
3 more arrived in the mail today I ordered for my friend and his gf. I hope they enjoy as much as I do. I cannot get over how much enjoyment these provide with all genres of music- they allow me to feel the music. :)

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #2,048 of 7,442
So now comes the "bacon question" (actually that is how you say it in dutch): should I buy a spare Monk, or is it better to save up a bit? Earphones like Knowledge Zenith ones will still be available in years but the Monks...? There's always something better when you spend more but how much must I spend more to get the same or better sq? Not wanting to get a spare that will only see daylight after 5 years of Monk use and it didn't break .

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #2,049 of 7,442
So now comes the "bacon question" (actually that is how you say it in dutch): should I buy a spare Monk, or is it better to save up a bit? Earphones like Knowledge Zenith ones will still be available in years but the Monks...? There's always something better when you spend more but how much must I spend more to get the same or better sq? Not wanting to get a spare that will only see daylight after 5 years of Monk use and it didn't break .

I think you should. What if Lee decides to stop the production of the Monk one day and your pair breaks?

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #2,053 of 7,442
try Edifier h101,185, Suvov s10,20.. Cheap buds with good sound, IMHO
http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up-update-april-25th-2015

Thanks golov17 for the items and the link. Couldn't find the Suvov models, but the other ones are:

Edifier H101: AliExpress-link ~ 11$ incl. shipping
Edifier H185: AliExpress-link ~ 10,5$ incl. shipping

But have no intentions to buy new ones before testing the others which are still on their way :)

The PAA-1 was what drew me into earbuds and my first earphone as well. Its bass is waaay far away from neutral though, so you definitely won't find the same sound in the Monk. Around the same price range, the Awei ES10, Dasetn MC5, and Edifier H180/H185 will have similar bass quantity, but not as good bass extension. PAA-1's pretty much unbeatable if you want deep, emphasized bass. The Monk and E100 will have better quality bass, but will be more flat down there. If you're willing to pay, the Zen 2.0 with foams will have similar quantities of bass and far, far superior sound overall.

Thanks rymd for your input! Always nice to read from someone who has listened to the same gear. Couldn't find the Dasetn MC5, but read that its build quality is questionable from ClieOS's overview. Why did he not add the VE Monk into the listing? Its placement would be valuable info! :)

Could find the Awei ES10: AliExpress-link ~ 4,6$ incl. shiping
Also the Hisoundaudio PAA-1: AliExpress-link ~ 20$ incl. shipping

The Zen 2.0 may be interesting, but with an additional amp, the whole package gets really expensive and I'm not shure if it will beat the Superlux HD681 Evo in regards to full-frequency coverage. Most probably not and that headphone does cost 30 Euros including shipping without the requirement of an amp and sounds very nice.

Will deliver a review when the other monks :)P), the Edifier H180 and the E100 earbells arrive :)

Thanks so far and greetings to the music lovers! (=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back