[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Jan 7, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #1,158 of 7,442

No, I don't mean to invest extra $100 just to get 320Ohm earbuds. I'm perfectly happy with all my headphones. Ordered Monks just for testing, but I only said I'd prefer them in higher impedance, but for the same price, if possible.
Also voltage divider is easily made around $2. There are zero benefits for me to shell out this money for Zen.

I don't mean this any bad, I still admire Lee what he has achieved for such price.

I originally wanted to contact him, whether he'd take custom order for higher impedance. Technically it's not more challenging to manufacture, not by much at least. You'll just need thinner wire for coils (I'm guessing 0.012mm) approximately 4 times the original length. Coil mass would stay the same.

But seeing how much trouble would that be, I let it slide and think of a solution myself.
Apart from Fiio X3II all my devices are above 15Ohm in output impedance, which put only 1/2 damping factor on Monks. What's more, TLE2062, low-power op amp in Objective2 handles such impedances with much higher distortion factor (THD+N).
Let's just say I never thought of getting headphones with this kind of impedance.
etysmile.gif

it sounds me that u have everything figured out already.

I wish u the very best luck in making your own 600ohm earbud

to us, impedance serves the sound, not the other way around, and frankly

as powerful as O2 is, k240df require a lot more voltage-swing  to  sound even ok (minimum 6v RMS according to my boy kk)

Cheers 

Lee

p.s. some of our gears, u can consider to upgrade to.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #1,159 of 7,442
  it sounds me that u have everything figured out already.

I wish u the very best luck in making your own 600ohm earbud

to us, impedance serves the sound, not the other way around, and frankly

as powerful as O2 is, k240df require a lot more voltage-swing  to  sound even ok (minimum 6v RMS according to my boy kk)

Cheers 

Lee

I don't need to make 600Ohm earbuds, just got curious if that's physically possible.

To me impedance also serves the sound, more so that high-impedance is less prone to various distortions.
Nearly all amplifiers produce lower distortion figures into high-impedance loads.
Low impedance, on the other hand "stresses" the source with too much load, placing high demands on cable resistance, insulation, plug and the amplifier itself, as total output impedance, in case of Monks cannot be higher than 4 Ohms to keep damping factor of 1:8 (below 1dB difference across audible spectrum), meaning high impedance sources will make Monks underdamped which will cause transducer resonance and higher presence in bass region.
High impedance & high sensitivity headphones are thus the most compatible, as no matter how high the source output impedance is (I haven't seen anything past 80Ohms), they won't sound electrically underdamped

K240DF requires 1 to 1.6 VRMS swing to get to 95dB, sound very much OK to me. In 90% of cases 1V is enough for them. And at that 1.6V it's only about 2mA.
O2 can deliver close to 8 VRMS at reasonable distortion into 600Ohm load, using NE5532.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #1,161 of 7,442
Not necessary offtopic (we're still talking Monks), but could be viewed like that, agreed.
cool.gif

There are some IEMs that are even lower impedance, so Monks in this aspect are still kinda OK.

It's not like this "ranting" is really purposeful anyway.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #1,164 of 7,442
You can leave a message while placing the order. Payment is a separate process done after placing the order, where I waited for the price adjustment from $15 to $5 before paying.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,170 of 7,442

I ordered in the morning around 10 hours ago, in China time 14:40 (6:40 in UTC+1)

Maybe he was taking a nap after the lunch 
tongue.gif

it just passed mid-night in China , it is now 0:02 in the am 

those who have yet ordered the monks , plz don't even boother with it.

like i have said I only have 100units in total ,and I have sold like 20-30 units via paypal already.

and u see this 147 orders is about 300units......so thanks again head-fi.....

the monk is sold out again , I will adjust some of the price before I go to bed, but it won't be many.

like I have said , I promise to have enough monk for the world within this month.

And they are coming, I should have a lot more in 10 days or so.

Once I do , I will have them listed for 5usd and those who wanna fast shipping can wait for my price modification.

I hope those who have ordered can show others the way of ePacket , as IT is freaking fast~!!!!!

Cheers 

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back