[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 11, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #7,232 of 7,442
I'm not a huge fan of the rough feeling of the foams on my ear, but I can appreciate the audio improvements from the better 'seal'. Also, I find the foams fall off too easily, they hold on to muck/are hard to keep clean, and they aren't very durable.

Is there such thing as a silicone (or similar) 'foam' for this kind of earphone? I'm thinking of the material used commonly for the tips of the 'earbud' style of earphones. It would give a slightly better seal without having to use 'foams'. I'm imagining something shaped more like a ring, as it wouldn't cover the front like the foams - instead it would just fit around the edge.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #7,233 of 7,442
I'm not a huge fan of the rough feeling of the foams on my ear, but I can appreciate the audio improvements from the better 'seal'. Also, I find the foams fall off too easily, they hold on to muck/are hard to keep clean, and they aren't very durable.

Is there such thing as a silicone (or similar) 'foam' for this kind of earphone? I'm thinking of the material used commonly for the tips of the 'earbud' style of earphones. It would give a slightly better seal without having to use 'foams'. I'm imagining something shaped more like a ring, as it wouldn't cover the front like the foams - instead it would just fit around the edge.
The expansion pack comes with rings that fit around the bud shells, as well as earhooks.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #7,236 of 7,442
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #7,237 of 7,442
Thanks. I've never used this site, anyone know how they are at getting items to the UK? It's quite frustrating that I can't seem to find anything like this being sold on a UK site, even on eBay.
I’m in the US, but in the same boat...... many earbuds and earbud accessories aren’t available locally, so have to buy through Ali. I’d say that 95% of my experiences have been positive, though it does take a long time to get things.

You should check with @mbwilson111, who is also in the UK.

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #7,238 of 7,442
Thanks. I've never used this site, anyone know how they are at getting items to the UK? It's quite frustrating that I can't seem to find anything like this being sold on a UK site, even on eBay.

My husband (also a headfier) and I get things from aliexpress all the time...constant flow of little packages from China:). It is kind of like a Chinese Amazon. Various sellers within it...some faster than others. I have had things take a week...and I have had them take 6 weeks. If you use the mobile app you often get a better price. There are coupons as well. Most of the venders really want to please their customers. They do not want to lose their selling privileges with Ali.

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #7,239 of 7,442
I’m in the US, but in the same boat...... many earbuds and earbud accessories aren’t available locally, so have to buy through Ali. I’d say that 95% of my experiences have been positive, though it does take a long time to get things.

My husband (also a headfier) and I get things from aliexpress all the time...constant flow of little packages from China:). It is kind of like a Chinese Amazon. Various sellers within it...some faster than others. I have had things take a week...and I have had them take 6 weeks. If you use the mobile app you often get a better price. There are coupons as well. Most of the venders really want to please their customers. They do not want to lose their selling privileges with Ali.
Thanks to you both! I'll give it a try. :)

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #7,240 of 7,442
I'm thinking of modding the monk drivers onto a bluetooth headset. Anyone done anything like this? The problem seems to be that in most of the bluetooth headseats the battery seems to be placed in the driver casing which means I can't just cut them off and replace them with the monk drivers - unless I can find a bluetooth ime that has the battery in the control unit. I've had a look at some bluetooth stand-alone adaptors but their doesn't seem to be many to choose from and they all look a bit on the bulky side.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #7,241 of 7,442
I'm thinking of modding the monk drivers onto a bluetooth headset. Anyone done anything like this? The problem seems to be that in most of the bluetooth headseats the battery seems to be placed in the driver casing which means I can't just cut them off and replace them with the monk drivers - unless I can find a bluetooth ime that has the battery in the control unit. I've had a look at some bluetooth adaptors but their doesn't seem to be many to choose from and they all look a bit on the bulky side.
Try the Bluewave GET

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #7,243 of 7,442
I just got a pair of Monk Plus. HOLY MOLY!!! I can't tell you guys how long I've been looking for a cheap pair of portable headphones that would sound half way decent. These don't just sound decent, they sound GOOD! Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. I've been away from Head-Fi for so long, I've forgotten what a great community this is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back