[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #6,796 of 7,442
  Greetings all, 
I've been enjoying this thread.  As a result of reading here have recently ordered:  Monk Plus Espresso, Phillips SHE3800 & TY Hi-Z HP-32.  Have had for years now a pair of Yuin PK-2.  

I'm planning to get a DAP/MP3 player for use during walks playing ALAC files of ripped CDs.  Leaning towards an Apple iPod Nano though I've spent considerable time searching threads on Head-Fi and did note the great price and praise for the FiiO X-1 Gen 2.  But I'm a little concerned about the recent Amazon reviews for the X-1 and what seems like glitchy firmware.  So thinking iPod Nano.  Might not deliver top of the line sound quality but outdoors walking, possibly not noticeable.  Plus in my experience, Apple stuff just works out of the box.

I realize this is NOT a DAP/MP3 player thread but am curious which DAPs might have been successful with the Monk (or any of the others listed above).  If there's a more appropriate thread to follow, please point me to it.  Search engine results on Head-Fi are a little bewildering to me (keywords & filters don't seem to focus the results as much as I'd expect).

Thanks in advance for your input and help.    

If you can give an estimated price range, suggestions can certainly be made in order to help.  As you were looking at the Fiio X1 ii, perhaps the Shanling M1 is also within your price range?  It's a remarkable little dap that I've enjoyed using the various Monks I own with.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #6,797 of 7,442
Golov 17 (re Benje S5) and Saoshyant (re Shanling M1) Thank you both for the input.  

Budget is less than $200 and preferably less than $150.  (the DAP won't be my main source for headphone listening so no sense overspending).  

Late evenings I'm using Hard Drive>>MacBook Air>>Dragonfly v1.2 DAC>>Asgard2>>AKG K550 Senn HD600 or Sony MDR V6.  Also listen to Spotify or Tidal this way.

Ability to play ALAC (Apple Lossless) files is important to me.  Not sure if the Benje or Shanling can.  Certainly will double-check.

When I reviewed those 2 previously, I was concerned about what seemed like sketchy documentation and/or reliability issues (along with inability to do ALAC - if I recall that correctly).

I will give them another look, however.

Thanks again.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #6,798 of 7,442
  Golov 17 (re Benje S5) and Saoshyant (re Shanling M1) Thank you both for the input.  

Budget is less than $200 and preferably less than $150.  (the DAP won't be my main source for headphone listening so no sense overspending).  

Late evenings I'm using Hard Drive>>MacBook Air>>Dragonfly v1.2 DAC>>Asgard2>>AKG K550 Senn HD600 or Sony MDR V6.  Also listen to Spotify or Tidal this way.

Ability to play ALAC (Apple Lossless) files is important to me.  Not sure if the Benje or Shanling can.  Certainly will double-check.

When I reviewed those 2 previously, I was concerned about what seemed like sketchy documentation and/or reliability issues (along with inability to do ALAC - if I recall that correctly).

Thanks again.

I'd say xDuoo X10

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #6,799 of 7,442

I'd say xDuoo X10

Thanks AT.  

Say, I really don't want to continue sidetracking this thread into a budget DAP discussion.  I see a "Best Budget DAP for a Beginner" thread but it is only 2 pages and not ongoing (last post May 2016).  If there's an active thread on the topic that someone can point to, it would be appreciated.  I'll keep looking too.  Thanks again.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #6,802 of 7,442

Thanks again.

I got a xDuoo X3 for use at work (meaning it was cheap enough that I won't be devastated if it gets broken or stolen at work) from Gearbest.  I like that it has dual microSD card slots.   The UI is clunky so I have Rockbox installed; the downside to that is that it will downsample, but you can boot to the original OS.  The beauty of the Monk+ is that it will scale to the source.  They can be easily driven by the xDuoo, and if you are willing to deal with the original UI it will do your high res files justice.  I have not bought stuff in ALAC so I don't know if it is supported.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #6,804 of 7,442
Greetings all, 
I've been enjoying this thread.  As a result of reading here have recently ordered:  Monk Plus Espresso, Phillips SHE3800 & TY Hi-Z HP-32.  Have had for years now a pair of Yuin PK-2.  

I'm planning to get a DAP/MP3 player for use during walks playing ALAC files of ripped CDs.  Leaning towards an Apple iPod Nano though I've spent considerable time searching threads on Head-Fi and did note the great price and praise for the FiiO X-1 Gen 2.  But I'm a little concerned about the recent Amazon reviews for the X-1 and what seems like glitchy firmware.  So thinking iPod Nano.  Might not deliver top of the line sound quality but outdoors walking, possibly not noticeable.  Plus in my experience, Apple stuff just works out of the box.

I realize this is NOT a DAP/MP3 player thread but am curious which DAPs might have been successful with the Monk (or any of the others listed above).  If there's a more appropriate thread to follow, please point me to it.  Search engine results on Head-Fi are a little bewildering to me (keywords & filters don't seem to focus the results as much as I'd expect).

Thanks in advance for your input and help.    

I have found that 1st Gen iPod Shuffle pairs great with Monk+. That said, the shuffle only supports up to 320kbps bit rate. I have ripped my CD collection to 320kbps AAC VBR and it sounds really really good. I got the shuffle for $10. While it may not meet your needs exactly and storage is limited, for the cost and sound I think it is tough to beat.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #6,805 of 7,442
@doggiemom
 - Thanks for taking time to reply.  I will look at the xDuoo X3 a bit more.  Know nothing about Rockbox though have seen it referenced often since visiting these HeadFi threads.  

@barondla
 - Thinking the Pono is over my budget.  But  thanks for the input.  
maybe http://www.head-fi.org/t/833932/coming-soon-cayin-n3-hi-res-dap-with-akm4490-dac-apt-x-bluetooth-and-line-usb-coax-out-for-under-200 ?

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #6,807 of 7,442
@thamasha69

@golov17

Thanks for the suggestions.  Amazon reviews are sure a mixed bag.  Look at enough of those and a person wouldn't buy ANYTHING!  

I don't want to struggle with whatever device I get.  That is one major attraction to getting something Apple.  

Great price on that 1st gen Shuffle, Masha69.  Hopefully, same good results with the Monks will be heard with current Apple products

2gb on a Shuffle is pretty tight on space given the latest can now handle ALAC.

I'm estimating 30-40 albums in Apple Lossless format will fit on a 16 gb Nano.  

Not the entire library but enough for good variety. 

That Cayin N3 certainly LOOKS impressive, features-wise.  Nice looks too.  Will read more about it if I can.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #6,808 of 7,442
I have tried Monk+ on iPhone 6S and it wasn't bad... But something was lacking. Though when I'm out and about with other background noises it's not much of an issue. The 1st Gen Shuffle apparently uses a Sigmatel SOC (the only Apple device with this implementation) and it does a better job than the iPhone IMHO. Can't say I've tried a newer nano or shuffle though.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #6,809 of 7,442
The 1st Gen Shuffle apparently uses a Sigmatel SOC (the only Apple device with this..) IMHO
really? Only Apple? :grinning:
12973578_1039336482827497_3261071232944741279_o.jpg
promoGeneralFunky.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back