[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 8, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #6,766 of 7,442
Greetings you Monk fanatics.  Newly active me on HeadFi (Schiit Freya thread, mainly) but stumbled across this interesting earbud thread.  Enjoying reading it the last few nights.  

Have a well-used pair of Yuin PK2s that I greatly enjoy.  Very comfortable wearing to sleep.  The enthusiasm for the Monk earbuds and their bargain pricing persuaded me to try a pair.  Ordered Espressos from the VE site and just got confirmation on shipping.  Looking forward to trying them out and comparing to the Yuins.  

Have a question about something else I saw on the VE site: The EX Pack.  Can that be ordered as a standalone item without the Smoke earbuds?  just get the various foams and silicone bits??  Didn't see it that way on the site.  

Please advise.  Thanks.  

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #6,767 of 7,442
Feb 8, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #6,768 of 7,442
Greetings you Monk fanatics.  Newly active me on HeadFi (Schiit Freya thread, mainly) but stumbled across this interesting earbud thread.  Enjoying reading it the last few nights.  

Have a well-used pair of Yuin PK2s that I greatly enjoy.  Very comfortable wearing to sleep.  The enthusiasm for the Monk earbuds and their bargain pricing persuaded me to try a pair.  Ordered Espressos from the VE site and just got confirmation on shipping.  Looking forward to trying them out and comparing to the Yuins.  

Have a question about something else I saw on the VE site: The EX Pack.  Can that be ordered as a standalone item without the Smoke earbuds?  just get the various foams and silicone bits??  Didn't see it that way on the site.  

Please advise.  Thanks.  

They actually can be purchased directly from their website

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #6,769 of 7,442
Thanks LaughMore - had not checked the AliExpress site.  

Yacobx - just not seeing it on the VE site apart the package with the Smoke Monk +.

After the Espressos arrive, will see how they are and maybe spend a Hamilton for the Smoke to get those other pieces.

The Espresso SQ is the same as the other Monk + colors? 

Thanks again to both of you.

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #6,770 of 7,442
Thanks LaughMore - had not checked the AliExpress site.  

Yacobx - just not seeing it on the VE site apart the package with the Smoke Monk +.

After the Espressos arrive, will see how they are and maybe spend a Hamilton for the Smoke to get those other pieces.

The Espresso SQ is the same as the other Monk + colors? 

Thanks again to both of you.

I found the espresso to have a bit more extension and clarity to the treble. But only by 5% difference.

Oh weird I can't find it by itself either

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #6,771 of 7,442
I found the espresso to have a bit more extension and clarity to the treble. But only by 5% difference.

Oh weird I can't find it by itself either

I think any differences are pretty subtle, my ears can't really detect much difference but I don't doubt the better connectors etc might improve the sound a bit.

The ExPack could never be bought on its own until really recently, it's an option on their AliExpress site when you pick from the various Monk options it's somewhere in the middle. I preferred when it came with the Monk+ as effectively you paid one set of postage and got a spare Monk+ cheaply, but some people (me) will always find something to moan about :-D (especially as I have about 8 spare Monk+ now)

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #6,772 of 7,442
Yaco & Flames - Thanks for the further comments.  I've read others reporting on different audio applications that braiding can make a sonic difference.  Don't know that my ears are good enough to hear any difference but it sounds like the there might be more to the Espressos than cosmetics.  $10 for a spare Monk+ and the accessories from the VE site is a good option.  

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #6,773 of 7,442
A few eye-candy shots of @zhibli06 little Espresso Special Edition:

Btw, it's not a coincidence I featured Aune M1s DAP with a balanced terminated Monk since I found this pair up to have a great synergy.  Of course, no surprises here since Lee and his team were helping Aune in fine tuning of this cool little DAP
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #6,775 of 7,442
  Btw, it's not a coincidence I featured Aune M1s DAP with a balanced terminated Monk since I found this pair up to have a great synergy.  Of course, no surprises here since Lee and his team were helping Aune in fine tuning of this cool little DAP
wink.gif

Is the Aune worth than $250 price tag? What was the sound difference between the balanced and non-balanced jacks? Very interesting innovation.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #6,776 of 7,442
can i find the black version of monk+, i am looking for the pitch black with 1 button mic and ex-pack.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #6,777 of 7,442
The Darth Monk has come and gone my friend.  You might find someone willing to part with theirs, but I for one got lucky and have a balanced Darth and will hold onto it quite close.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #6,778 of 7,442
Man.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #6,779 of 7,442
  A few eye-candy shots of @zhibli06 little Espresso Special Edition:

wink.gif

Is it an improvement of the current Monk+ or it is the same with different color?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back