[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Feb 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #6,813 of 7,442

FiiO X5iii running OTG from a Note 4 Totally ghetto...totally awesome! Balanced Monks on the hook
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #6,817 of 7,442
@thamasha69

@golov17

Thanks for the suggestions.  Amazon reviews are sure a mixed bag.  Look at enough of those and a person wouldn't buy ANYTHING!  

I don't want to struggle with whatever device I get.  That is one major attraction to getting something Apple.  

Great price on that 1st gen Shuffle, Masha69.  Hopefully, same good results with the Monks will be heard with current Apple products

2gb on a Shuffle is pretty tight on space given the latest can now handle ALAC.

I'm estimating 30-40 albums in Apple Lossless format will fit on a 16 gb Nano.  

Not the entire library but enough for good variety. 

That Cayin N3 certainly LOOKS impressive, features-wise.  Nice looks too.  Will read more about it if I can.

Look at Fiio X3 second gen, does all you need, works well and can find via Amazon for 139ish. Been running one for a year done,my X1 screen died

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #6,818 of 7,442
Check the thread title, people!
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #6,820 of 7,442
I'm pretty new to the world of Earbuds, Any one care to explain what is this "Balanced TRRS" option is see on VE? It should work with everything correct? Desktop AMP, MP3 Player e.g Sansa Clip Zip, Mobile Phone? etc... Do they provide better sound? & in what situation should I consider it?

Thanks 

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #6,821 of 7,442
I video game with my Monks all the time(I found them great for playing on the xboxOne.)  Has anyone used the mic'd versions for gaming?  I have the monk+ and haven't ordered any pairs since Lee introduced the mic'd versions.  Just wonder if anyone has any experience with gaming on them.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #6,822 of 7,442
I'm pretty new to the world of Earbuds, Any one care to explain what is this "Balanced TRRS" option is see on VE? It should work with everything correct? Desktop AMP, MP3 Player e.g Sansa Clip Zip, Mobile Phone? etc... Do they provide better sound? & in what situation should I consider it?

Thanks 

TRRS refers to a 4 pole jack where the standard TRS refers to a 3 pole jack. A standard TRS will share a ground for both left and right channels while the balanced TRRS has seperate left and right grounds. The other TRRS would use a mic as one of the poles.

Due to the balanced design, it requires a specific jack in order to work. 3.5 TRRS is typically used by Hifiman where the 2.5mm TRRS is more prevalent as far as I'm aware and is used by Fiio, Astell & Kern, Opus etc.

The simple benefit of balanced is many daps provide more power to their balanced output than their standard output. Past that, there is some debate whether balanced provides more soundstage, clarity, etc

As I just woke up, something might have been misremembered or forgotten, so apologies for anything I'm off on

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #6,824 of 7,442
Just a quick note to say thanks to those that started and kept this thread going.  Ordered Monk+ Espressos on Feb 7.  They arrived today.  Wish domestic/US sellers were as fast.  Started listening within minutes of their arrival.  They sound really good out of the box.  Not even using foams...don't sound too bright to these ears.  Very nice package.  Great value for $20 bucks.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #6,825 of 7,442
So, after a long time lurking on this thread and having the Monks in my basket on Ali for ages, I finally succumbed. They arrrived a few days ago, the coffee gold version, and I've been wearing them with the thin VE sponges and a thicker doughnout sponge around the rim.
Colour me impressed, for an earbud. Especially for a £4 earbud. The bass is much more impressive than I imagined. The mids and treble are a little grainy and dark, but sing nicely with a little juice and hell, these sound great :)
I can see why these have garnered such a following.
Tried them today with the tiny C&C BH2 amp, and the SF (sound field, cross feed) switch on. Sounded fantastic, and I disappeared into my listening sofa for over 3 hours. It would have been longer but my daughter needed some help with something and I prematurely found myself back in the land of the living.
Just wish I had a balanced source to justify getting the balanced version.
Oh well, Mr Wallet might just have to let loose.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back