2020 - Most comfortable high end headphones under $2k?
Oct 7, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #49 of 53
I have a pair of Audeze LCD-MX4 headphones and absolutely love the sound quality (RME ADI-2 DAC) But I find they clamp too much on my head which affects my TMJ issues if I wear them for extended periods of time. I contacted Audeze support and they said they basically are what they are, they're essentially studio monitors and meant to fit just slightly snug but not too tight. I agree they accomplish this, I just need something with less pinch and near zero pressure on cheek/jaw area in front of my ears.

What are the most comfortable top tier, 'end game' headphones available in 2020?
  • $2000 or less - new or used - less is always preferred
  • Light weight
  • Over ear
  • Open or closed back considered, both have their virtues
Sony MDR-Z1R or Beyerdynamic T1 look like the most comfortable but in my situation I can't really go try them on first, so I'm an internet buyer.
I'd have to say the Audio Technica ADX-ATH5000 takes the cake for comfort, and is pretty much on-par with the Dan Clark Audio Ether 2.

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #50 of 53
Why nobody mentions Grado? They are light as feather. Almost as not wearing anything. (Not the big PS1000e/2000e)

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #51 of 53
Why nobody mentions Grado? They are light as feather. Almost as not wearing anything. (Not the big PS1000e/2000e)

I would have thought so too. I had a pair of Sennheisers in the 1980s that was on ear and I would have thought Grados would have a similar feel. But when I asked around I got a lot of answers saying the pads hurt their ears etc. You just never know, headphone fit is very personal. Eventually I'll get a pair of Grados and find out for myself.

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #52 of 53
It is the earpads, for Grados. They aren't necessarily uncomfortable, the lighter models do alright for shorter periods (1-2hrs). But even those after a while the earpads start to make ones ears a bit sore. You will also find donut pad models to be more comfortable, but not by a large margin.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #53 of 53
Of my high end cans
1: k812
2: t1.2
3: lcd2c
4: hd800s

k812 fit nice! Clamping force is perfect
T1.2 is good but I like the huge earcups of the k812
Lcd2c a little tight but I have a small head. The weight and clamping force don’t bother me much even if worn for hours.
Hd800s very comfortable BUT I have a small so it doesn’t feel “secure” on my head and that’s why it’s 4th for me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back