2020 - Most comfortable high end headphones under $2k?
May 21, 2020 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Keyboarder

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Audeze LCD-MX4 headphones and absolutely love the sound quality (RME ADI-2 DAC) But I find they clamp too much on my head which affects my TMJ issues if I wear them for extended periods of time. I contacted Audeze support and they said they basically are what they are, they're essentially studio monitors and meant to fit just slightly snug but not too tight. I agree they accomplish this, I just need something with less pinch and near zero pressure on cheek/jaw area in front of my ears.

What are the most comfortable top tier, 'end game' headphones available in 2020?
  • $2000 or less - new or used - less is always preferred
  • Light weight
  • Over ear
  • Open or closed back considered, both have their virtues
Sony MDR-Z1R or Beyerdynamic T1 look like the most comfortable but in my situation I can't really go try them on first, so I'm an internet buyer.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 53
Sennheiser 800 is considered by many to be the most comfortable. I can't say I agree though they are very light and don't clamp much. I'm pretty comfortable with the Audeze but many people are not. Not because of the clamp, which is rather low, but because of the weight.

Maybe a different pad material or shape, or some other adjustment would help. Might be good to post in one of the Audeze threads.

May 21, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 53
I have the Beyerdynamic T5p and the headband is the most comfortable. The earpads might differ for everyone. But also Amiron Home/Wireless, DT880 and Meze 99C are damn comfortable.

Just because the prices, it doesn't mean the headphones are truely top tier. If you really enjoy your headphones, it doesn't matter wether it's 2000$ or 200$.

May 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 53
Sennheiser 800 is considered by many to be the most comfortable. I can't say I agree though they are very light and don't clamp much. I'm pretty comfortable with the Audeze but many people are not. Not because of the clamp, which is rather low, but because of the weight.

Maybe a different pad material or shape, or some other adjustment would help. Might be good to post in one of the Audeze threads.
They do clamp pretty decent amount that it would depend on OP's TMJ points. HD800 is unique that the headphone isn't shape to seal the head shape a good as headphones uses pads to seal. It's more like it adhere's to you head in certain spots with shallow padding around the rim. Reason for bass response variance among folks. The way 800 adhere's with it's shallow padding makes it bogus that HD800 are that comfortable. There's something that's unsatifying in the way it adheres to the head and the thin padding that causes pressure points. In order to alleviate pressure of various points, there should be a much greater area the pressure is distributed.

Maybe the solution is to go with headphones that do not adhere to your head at all.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 53
Audeze support said the only thing I could try is a steel headband instead of carbon fiber, but they didn't sound too hopeful that it would help.

Silverears, that's a relly good point on the HD800's and varied fit affecting their performance. Interestingly, Sennheiser has reduced the price of HD 800 S on their website to $1399 which is less than they are going for on ebay. Though I don't see shops updating their prices just yet.

Thanks for the recommendations. It sounds like there is not a clear winner on comfort but multiple options. This is a good thing, though I did hope everyone would just say it was one specific model to make things easy. :)

May 21, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 53
I'd like share my experience. As some knows I have the Amiron Wireless Copper version and that one is 400g, the heaviest of all my headphones and I'm really impressed I don't feel them at all on my head. No need to take them off when not using them. The way how Meze did and Hifiman to Arya are mostly comfortable too.

LCD MX4 being 600g and LCD-X 635g... pffff

May 21, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 53

Yes I agree, the 800S I just sold were very comfortable. I just didn't care for the sound signature.

May 21, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 53
I'd like share my experience. As some knows I have the Amiron Wireless Copper version and that one is 400g, the heaviest of all my headphones and I'm really impressed I don't feel them at all on my head. No need to take them off when not using them. The way how Meze did and Hifiman to Arya are mostly comfortable too.

LCD MX4 being 600g and LCD-X 635g... pffff
I find my audeze's to be manageable, but they are rather weighty.

May 21, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 53
I find my audeze's to be manageable, but they are rather weighty.
Yeah, more than half kg :O You can't have them on for hours? Won't it cause fatigue?

May 21, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 53
I wear them for hours because the sound is so non-fatiguing so I don't mind the weight.
Ah yes, just like me with my current heapdones.

I once experienced a serious pain from a headphone and it was so sever, I couldn't test the sound. Very unfortunate.

May 21, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 53
Wow that is unfortunate.
Indeed, the first time I requested a return within one hour :/ I'm really impressed how they can make that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back