2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #631 of 1,504
I’m finding that the ADX has better bass quantity than quality. Everything sounds a bit one note in the bass.

Is anyone having a similar experience?
Hmmm i think the bass quality in adx5k is quite good, and enough quantity. To what are you comparing?

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #633 of 1,504
The Ether 2, HD 800 and LCD2C
adx5k defo has more bass quantity than HD800S, I haven't heard the Ethear 2 nor the LCD2C, what would be an accurate bass reproduction for you? And how the 3 headphones you mention compare to ADX5K in bass quality? You deem them more accurate or?

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #634 of 1,504
I'm very content with the ADX5000 with no EQ personally. I did find it a little sharp at first. Must have gotten used to it. I'm somewhat interested in pad swaps, but I think the headphones sound great as is. No need to swap unless I see hard evidence of some alternative offering something I might like even more.

As for cables, I bought a cable for aesthetics and shorter length hoping it would also be less microphonic. I don't put much stock in drastic sound changes via cable swap. Maybe there's a tiny difference. Maybe not. Not something I really want to debate, honestly. :smile_phones:
Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 Measurements:
(MiniDSP EARS. Purr1n's compensation. 1/12 smoothing)

500Hz 84dB normalized: Default Alcantara Pads (red) VS ZMF Aeolus Pads (blue)
ADX.jpg

4kHz Peak normalized: Default Alcantara Pads (red) VS ZMF Aeolus Pads (blue)
ADX2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #635 of 1,504
Sep 15, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #636 of 1,504
Which amp do you guys use to run the ADX 5000? I find that I need to be on the highest gain on the Violectric V100. I'm looking to find an amplifier that will give me more head room. Any suggestions around the $500 range?
Hello
I recently upgraded to benchmark hpa4 from v281. I have not tried many amps with my DAC but hpa4 is leagues ahead of v281. The driver control is unbelievable. The bass control, timing, layering & both quality & quantity have increased. ADX5k are rumblin'. HPA4 has no signature of its own so its basically amplifying the upstream gear. Other than the bass performance the mids are full bodied, life like, transparent & airy. The timbre is spot on. The trebles are neither harsh nor sibilant but more natural, extended without any loss of detail. There is no background noise which translates into more realistic sound & more plankton retrieval. The transient attack & decay have a near perfect balance & are bodied...never thin. There is no FATIGUE on prolonged listening. The texture across the frequency is TOTL imo. Its like listening to a very refined high end tube amp.
In short I am describing my DAC instead of the amp.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #637 of 1,504
Hi, also own at adx5000 with deconi not fenestrated sheepskin earpads-really superb upgrade which improves the bass to more fullness, mids just superb. I was deciding between them and HD800s..to me HD800s has totally unreal soundstage like putting the head into a fish tank. I was comparing the sound signature even with Meze Empyrean, still prefer Adx5000 a bit. But hands up Meze really is superb product. If we come to pairing it is interesting that at 420 ohms Am quite happy with Dragon fly red, Dragonfly Cobalt sound even better, Mojo is great match on to go, Hugo2 is real portable reference. Finally the best desktop dac/amps pairing for me is with At Ha5050h. Beautifully balanced, extraordinary symmetry between ss and tube amping, signature touch on the sweet side with great detail and punch.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #638 of 1,504
I’m starting to think that my pair really is a demo pair. Like someone else said earlier, they felt like the demo pair was less sibilant which is what I’m experiencing. But maybe this is a blessing.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #639 of 1,504
What does demo pair even mean? Why would it have different tuning?
The only thing i know about pre production models (which i think you mean?) are they have frames that makes a lot of creaking noise.

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #640 of 1,504
Dec 6, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #641 of 1,504
Does anyone use some custom cable for these headphones? Looks like these connectors are so unpopular that even big cable makers doesn’t provide an option on their sites...

I tried to order some a2dc connectors on aliexpress but the connectors I got don’t fit, looks like they sent me something else :)

I also contacted russian cable maker who said that adx5000 are not “normal” a2dc and he cound’t find fitting connectors.

Dec 6, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #642 of 1,504
What does that mean? Has anyone that got AT's IEM (E, LS and CKS) cant plug theirs in? Doesnt they also use the same connector on their L5000 and AP2000Ti? Are theirs different too?

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #644 of 1,504
There are two types of A2DC connectors. Headphones use a recessed connector with a longer stem than IEMs. There are a few listings on Aliexpress with headphone type connectors, like:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32992096354.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976297825.html

Some of the custom cable makers can do them too, try:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2184195
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/5003206
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3879013

If you go that route, you need to make sure that the seller gets the right type of A2DC connectors. It took a couple of tries to get the right cables made for my SR9, which meant a lot of waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back