2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Nov 28, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #481 of 1,496
Thanks lithiumnk, nice read.

Can't wait to get a chance to try them. Listening to classical music exclusively, HD800 was always my 1st choice. Never heard top end Stax, although Lambadas are telling me they are not for me anyway. After many 'flagships' appearing throughout the years I wasn't impressed with any of them but these ATs certainly caught my attention not just because they are mainly described as an enhanced HD800s but foremost for its remarkable 270g weight. Even if they are same sounding as HD800 I would considered them for its 100g less weigh.

Its very strange, this thread is almost dead yet 500+ grams headphones threads are constantly visited. Whenever I hear most frequent mantra these years '..but its is evenly distributed on your head' I want to puke.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #482 of 1,496
To be fair it's not that easy to find an ADX5000 to even try around here. Maybe if A-T sent them out for review in the west or did loaner tours there would be more talk in this thread.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #483 of 1,496
Thanks lithiumnk, nice read.

Can't wait to get a chance to try them. Listening to classical music exclusively, HD800 was always my 1st choice. Never heard top end Stax, although Lambadas are telling me they are not for me anyway. After many 'flagships' appearing throughout the years I wasn't impressed with any of them but these ATs certainly caught my attention not just because they are mainly described as an enhanced HD800s but foremost for its remarkable 270g weight. Even if they are same sounding as HD800 I would considered them for its 100g less weigh.

Its very strange, this thread is almost dead yet 500+ grams headphones threads are constantly visited. Whenever I hear most frequent mantra these years '..but its is evenly distributed on your head' I want to puke.
You're welcome.
I will buy adx5000 in Jan. The biggest problem is acquiring a good balanced cable. The balanced cable offered by AT is quite heavy.

They are very light.... feather weight. I had tried them at an event after listening to HE-1. They are more comfortable than HE1 and sit very well on my head without any pressure point. They just disappear and have a decent clamping force.

Looking forward to the most underrated can in 2018.

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #484 of 1,496

I agree with a lot of what he writes in his review, but I disagree with him saying the HD800S is less resolving and more sibilant than the ADX5000 in the treble, if anything I hear the opposite. I find the HD800S is more fluid and easier to listen to, but still crystal clear. The ADX5000 by comparison sounds slightly drier and more etched.

It would be great if we could combine the attributes of the HD800S and ADX5000 into one headphone, then you would probably have the perfect headphone! IMO the perfect combination would be: ADX5000 headband/earcups/earpads + ADX5000 lower and mid bass + HD800S upper bass and lower midrange + ADX5000 upper midrange + HD800S treble.

PS - Since my last post, I returned my ADX5000 to Audio-Technica UK to be tested, because I did not enjoy its sound as much as the one I was sent to review a few months earlier. A-T UK were very helpful and agreed there was difference in tonal balance between the two pairs. They kindly offered to send me the pair I originally reviewed and I accepted their offer. FWIW - This is not the first time I have experienced differences between the same model of headphone, it's more common than you might think. Most people don't notice because most people aren't crazy enough to buy multiple pairs of the same headphone! There are three pairs of HD600 in my family and they all sound slightly different. In fact I once purchased two HD600 new from Amazon at the same time to test my theory, and I ended up returning one for a refund because the upper mids were much louder and coarser than normal and the soundstage was extremely flat and claustrophobic!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #485 of 1,496
Man, the 3 headphones on your sig truly shows your preferred tuning, anyway, just want to say that, enjoy your new gear :)

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #487 of 1,496
Assuming that was addressed to me, please tell me more about my preferred tuning, I'm curious to know if you're correct. :)

Probably meant that you like broght and detailed over neutrality. The 3 headphones that guess is based on are all neutral yes, but they are still on the brighter side of neutral .

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #488 of 1,496
Probably meant that you like broght and detailed over neutrality. The 3 headphones that guess is based on are all neutral yes, but they are still on the brighter side of neutral .
The ADX5000 and HD800S are definitely on the brighter and crisper side of neutral (emphasised treble), but I'd classify the HD600 and Utopia as essentially neutral but with forward mids. Of all the headphones I own, the Utopia has the thickest/fullest tone with the softest high frequencies (I have however read reports of Utopia having bright treble so maybe my pair received a different tuning?!)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #489 of 1,496
The ADX5000 and HD800S are definitely on the brighter and crisper side of neutral (emphasised treble), but I'd classify the HD600 and Utopia as essentially neutral but with forward mids. Of all the headphones I own, the Utopia has the thickest/fullest tone with the softest high frequencies (I have however read reports of Utopia having bright treble so maybe my pair received a different tuning?!)

I don't particularly like the utopias but people are way too quick to throw around the word defect. Yes it's possible, but focal is not hifiman. The utopia is less bright than the hd800 and you probably are used to that as comparison.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #490 of 1,496
i also own the utopia and have auditioned two other models. they all sounded the same to me and match your description.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #491 of 1,496
Guys, i have the combo IFI Micro Black Label and Adx 5000, how can i improve my gear with a new headphone amplifier? I will get a dramatic improve of quality of sound from Adx 5000? If Yes, which is a good choice around 1000€.
Thanks

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #492 of 1,496
Got ADX5000 today. It is a very special HP. Tried ZMF Verite, Auteur, Empyrean. They sound veiled to me as compared to adx5000
Please consider this HP before buying a TOTL HP(non estat) and donot go by advertisements, paid reviews and hear say.
Bought the balanced cable as well for my v281 amp.
Driving it with AK sp1k and Mass Kobo 424 amp.

IMG-20190124-WA0039.jpeg

20190125_005024.jpg

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #493 of 1,496
Got ADX5000 today. It is a very special HP. Tried ZMF Verite, Auteur, Empyrean. They sound veiled to me as compared to adx5000
Please consider this HP before buying a TOTL HP(non estat) and donot go by advertisements, paid reviews and hear say.
Bought the balanced cable as well for my v281 amp.
Driving it with AK sp1k and Mass Kobo 424 amp.

Congrats! I got mine a couple of days ago. I agree that it's a special headphone. Not quite as good as the Utopia but way more comfortable. It has me thinking of selling the Focal and I never thought I'd say that!

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #494 of 1,496
Congrats! I got mine a couple of days ago. I agree that it's a special headphone. Not quite as good as the Utopia but way more comfortable. It has me thinking of selling the Focal and I never thought I'd say that!
I love the SQ on utopia but the comfort and fit is a serious issue for me.(price as well) ... adx5k is a steal at this price.... the resolution, micro details , speed, texture and definition across the spectrum is epic.
They are super comfortable and disappear over my head. I have installed dekoni sheepskin fenestrated pads for zmf.

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #495 of 1,496
I love the SQ on utopia but the comfort and fit is a serious issue for me.(price as well) ... adx5k is a steal at this price.... the resolution, micro details , speed, texture and definition across the spectrum is epic.
They are super comfortable and disappear over my head. I have installed dekoni sheepskin fenestrated pads for zmf.
I might have to recommend the ADX5000 over the Clear from now on. It's the most comfortable flagship by a large margin.

How did you get the earpads off? Do you just pull them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back