2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jan 24, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #496 of 1,496
I might have to recommend the ADX5000 over the Clear from now on. It's the most comfortable flagship by a large margin.

How did you get the earpads off? Do you just pull them?
Yeah... just pull them but installing dekoni pads was a pita.

Edit: The mod is totally worth it.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #497 of 1,496
How do these Dekoni pads affect the sound? Given that they’re likely a bit more thick my experience with the AD2000/AD2000X with similar ZMF pads is a reduction in bass and unpleasant treble boost. The effect is likely to be more minor on the ADX5000 since the stock pads are a little differently shaped and thicker than the old AD2000 pads.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #498 of 1,496
Got ADX5000 today. It is a very special HP. Tried ZMF Verite, Auteur, Empyrean. They sound veiled to me as compared to adx5000

+1
You are not alone :wink:
I had the same experiences but it seems that the customers/market want headphones with darker sound :cold_sweat:.
The ADX5000 is a great headphone !

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #499 of 1,496
i don't think it's that tbh. totl headphones with dark sound signatures are in the minority ime. it appears to me that the adx5000 just hasn't generated the level of interest/hype here that other flagship releases have.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #500 of 1,496
i don't think it's that tbh. totl headphones with dark sound signatures are in the minority ime. it appears to me that the adx5000 just hasn't generated the level of interest/hype here that other flagship releases have.
ADX5000 are not popular outside east Asia. Just browse through Asian forums..not headfi, etc. They are regarded as the one of the best dynamics till date. I personally know more than 5 people who own ADX5000 and sold their previous cans such as Abyss Phi, Susvaras, Utopia, HD800, HD800s, Beyer T1.

AT is not promoting ADX5000 coz they are already very famous. It's difficult to procure one coz they are always out of stock.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #501 of 1,496
How do these Dekoni pads affect the sound? Given that they’re likely a bit more thick my experience with the AD2000/AD2000X with similar ZMF pads is a reduction in bass and unpleasant treble boost. The effect is likely to be more minor on the ADX5000 since the stock pads are a little differently shaped and thicker than the old AD2000 pads.
So, there is a dip at 2khz in the measurements thats because of the anime music in Japan which has somewhat sharp female vocals.. dekoni pads linearizes (to certain extent ) that sudden dip which is very imp for female vocals which di not have that (anime) sort of character. This observation was not measured but it was A/Bed multiple times. So, my dealer includes dekoni pads in the package itself... they install it as well. The demo version of adx5000 also has one.
Cheers

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #502 of 1,496
ADX5000 are not popular outside east Asia. Just browse through Asian forums..not headfi, etc. They are regarded as the one of the best dynamics till date. I personally know more than 5 people who own ADX5000 and sold their previous cans such as Abyss Phi, Susvaras, Utopia, HD800, HD800s, Beyer T1.

AT is not promoting ADX5000 coz they are already very famous. It's difficult to procure one coz they are always out of stock.
i don't doubt that it is more popular in asia as it is an audio-technica headphone

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #503 of 1,496
So, there is a dip at 2khz in the measurements thats because of the anime music in Japan which has somewhat sharp female vocals.. dekoni pads linearizes (to certain extent ) that sudden dip which is very imp for female vocals which di not have that (anime) sort of character. This observation was not measured but it was A/Bed multiple times. So, my dealer includes dekoni pads in the package itself... they install it as well. The demo version of adx5000 also has one.
Cheers
Is the dip at 2kHz a consistent tuning across all ADX5000 or does it vary from unit to unit? The reason I ask is because the following measurement from reference-audio-analyzer.pro shows a dip at 2kHz in one channel only (you need to click the "Left-Right" button to see this):
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-adx5000.php#rw9

I don't hear a dip at 2kHz in my ADX5000, but I do hear a dip at 400Hz-500Hz which gives a thin sound to vocals (I fix this dip with EQ).

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #504 of 1,496
Is the dip at 2kHz a consistent tuning across all ADX5000 or does it vary from unit to unit? The reason I ask is because the following measurement from reference-audio-analyzer.pro shows a dip at 2kHz in one channel only (you need to click the "Left-Right" button to see this):
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-adx5000.php#rw9

I don't hear a dip at 2kHz in my ADX5000, but I do hear a dip at 400Hz-500Hz which gives a thin sound to vocals (I fix this dip with EQ).
Thanks for the reference. I have not tested them critically yet. Can you share the parametric EQ settings with ADX5000. Also, do you appreciate a sub bass roll off post 100khz ? If yes, do you peq this as well?

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #505 of 1,496
Got ADX5000 today. It is a very special HP. Tried ZMF Verite, Auteur, Empyrean. They sound veiled to me as compared to adx5000
Please consider this HP before buying a TOTL HP(non estat) and donot go by advertisements, paid reviews and hear say.
Bought the balanced cable as well for my v281 amp.
Driving it with AK sp1k and Mass Kobo 424 amp.

It is amp fault These headphones sounded veiled. Violectric is warm amp ofcourse it will pair very good with HD800S, adx5000 or Utopia. I have v280 which is the same amp section as v281.
Because of Coloration it wont sound good with already warm cans as mentioned or with warm dacs.
Your post is very misleading.

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #506 of 1,496
Thanks for the reference. I have not tested them critically yet. Can you share the parametric EQ settings with ADX5000. Also, do you appreciate a sub bass roll off post 100khz ? If yes, do you peq this as well?

Interestingly, the frequency response curve supplied with this pair of ADX5000 definitely shows a dip at 2kHz-3kHz, and also a smaller dip at 400Hz-500Hz. I think I need to go back and listen more critically for the 2kHz dip.

I'm not at my main computer just now so don't have access to my EQ settings, but from memory I think I use a notch filter to apply a +2dB boost centred on 400Hz and a -2dB cut centred on 8kHz. The bass response sounds good to me, fast and clean with decent impact. I don't think I need to tweak the bass much.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #507 of 1,496
It is amp fault These headphones sounded veiled. Violectric is warm amp ofcourse it will pair very good with HD800S, adx5000 or Utopia. I have v280 which is the same amp section as v281.
Because of Coloration it wont sound good with already warm cans as mentioned or with warm dacs.
Your post is very misleading.
I tried all these cans on BENCHMARK DAC3 & HPA4 COMBO / Lotoo Paw Gold touch + Mass Kobo 424 amp/ sp1000copper + mass kobo 424(SS SETUP) & Hugo2 (DAC) + Auris Audio Nirvana Tube amp (Tube setup).
Edit: Dac3/hpa4 (preamp) & auris audio nirvana tube amp combo as well
Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #508 of 1,496
I tried all these cans on BENCHMARK DAC3 & HPA4 COMBO / Lotoo Paw Gold touch + Mass Kobo 424 amp/ sp1000copper + mass kobo 424(SS SETUP) & Hugo2 (DAC) + Auris Audio Nirvana Tube amp (Tube setup).
Edit: Dac3/hpa4 (preamp) & auris audio nirvana tube amp combo as well
Hope it helps.
Its nice gear, but i think These cans need something neutral like Pass Labs HPA 1, HeadAmp GSX MK2... I think on Headphonia Meze Empyrean Review they said it didnt paired well with warm amp like V281. For me V280 sounded very muddy with Arcam Irdac, but splendid with Chord 2qute.
Its all about pairings in many cases

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #509 of 1,496
Greetings to all, Ladies and Gentleman.

I have been enjoying ADX5000 for over a year now and they make me very happy listening to any kind of music. They are very comfortable and you only notice a slight pressure that disappears in long sessions. I use the original balanced cable without weight problems. Alternate between an M2Tech Marley and a Moon 430HA and as a source I use a Linn DS. They can be compared to the HD800 but have a more compact and better scene, as well as deeper and more articulated bass.
Companion / Patricia Barber ... Nothing sssssssss.
Only is my opinion, :grin:

Have a nice listening session!!
C.K.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #510 of 1,496
Its nice gear, but i think These cans need something neutral like Pass Labs HPA 1, HeadAmp GSX MK2... I think on Headphonia Meze Empyrean Review they said it didnt paired well with warm amp like V281. For me V280 sounded very muddy with Arcam Irdac, but splendid with Chord 2qute.
Its all about pairings in many cases
You are right about the synergy. Since, I have v281 I opted for a neutral-brightish HP. I had also tried ADX5000(with other cans) direct from Dave-Blumk2; that is the most transparent sound I have ever listened to(non estat)....never heard such magical & engaging trebles, beautiful airy forward midrange with mind boggling bass resolution...

The HP that I mentioned in the previous posts are excellent HPs without a doubt but only after comparison I came to know that i was missing so many details....

I am not misleading anyone here ...its just that the differences were so easily noticeable.... at first i was also shocked...I can even say that they sound better utopia, hd800, hd800s,T1...may be the best dynamic ever .... many people who own ADX5K have the same opinion... I have personally compared all the HP in a demo shop with adequate time & with probably one of the best HP chain on planet. I am sorry if I have offended anyone but I trust my ears & as always YMMV.

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back