2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Dec 27, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #166 of 1,496
Did you check the serial number? Mine is 02xx. If that set was an earlier set, it could’ve been just a prior abuse issue?

Hmmm... I didn't check the serial number. Now the unit already returned back to Audio-Technica.

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #168 of 1,496
sad.... adx5000 isn't pure hard dome, just coated metal... which means not the most advanced tech...

I'm sure Audio Technica tried it during testing and moved away from it for a good reason; just because its "the most advanced tech on the market" doesn't mean its actually the best thing out there or even equal in performance to other lesser technologies.

The earfonia review is exactly what i was hoping to hear! hopefully a few more reviews will be posted soon

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #170 of 1,496
Where is the best place to purchase these in the (us) states?
Hopefully early Jan.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #171 of 1,496
@earfonia thanks for your great review! one thing that i wonder though, the soundstage.
I know it's pretty obvious that ADX5000 soundstage is narrower than HD800/S, but how about ADX5000 vs Utopia? Are they similar in width?
You also mentioned that ADX5000 is pretty close to Utopia characteristics, do you think it will be redundant to get it if you already own an Utopia?

Btw, any idea how much it's going to cost here in Singapore?

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #172 of 1,496
Is it possible to buy high quality leather earpads for ADX5000?
Also there are not many aftermarket cables yet.I have to admit that at 270 gr without cables this is the king of headphones for comfort. Will this be the best dynamic headphone so far? Time will tell. Happy New year to all Headfi members.

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #174 of 1,496
Good to hear some HD 800 impressions, I just got one! I have to say I kinda dig the more "natural" sound of the HD 800 as it really is kinda slower than fast... the PS2KE made that really obvious. Detail wise though with the SDR mod it's pretty stellar.

Still here's to hoping we can get a US tour for this bad boi started! More precise, more detailed and more aggressive than the HD 800 and a bit more wide and equally deep as the Utopia isn't a bad spot for them to be in this market. Though that $2k price might hold them back, still I'm sure the second hand price might compete well again'st the HD 800 and certianly the Utopia, but the "creaky" build is a little... un sastifactory

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #175 of 1,496
@earfonia thanks for your great review! one thing that i wonder though, the soundstage.
I know it's pretty obvious that ADX5000 soundstage is narrower than HD800/S, but how about ADX5000 vs Utopia? Are they similar in width?
You also mentioned that ADX5000 is pretty close to Utopia characteristics, do you think it will be redundant to get it if you already own an Utopia?

Btw, any idea how much it's going to cost here in Singapore?

Hi! I didn't focus my attention on soundstage when comparing ADX5000 with Utopia, so I cannot give definite answer. Most probably soundstage wise they are comparable. ADX5000 is more analytical than Utopia, so tonality wise they are different, and I won't call it redundant to get ADX5000 if you already have Utopia. They are quite different in sonic signature. For recordings that sound best with analytical headphones, probably sounds better on ADX5000.

Jan 1, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #177 of 1,496
I know it's pretty obvious that ADX5000 soundstage is narrower than HD800/S

It's not THAT obvious... if you spend time with one or the other, you'd be forgiven if you thought one was the other. You really have the AB them and listen carefully to hear some differences in soundstage. The ADX5000 is pretty wide in it's own right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back