2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #198 of 1,496
Since you are there, can you please ask about leather earpads and shorter cables?
Thank you.

I'm afraid I won't be attending. But I did ask about this in Japan, and they said there were no plans for these. I too found the use of the A2DC and the 3m cable to be senseless.

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #199 of 1,496
Can you compare it to SE-M1 if possible? Many thanks.
Reading all the impressions about the SE-M1 peaked my interest. Very polarizing opinions about this headphone it seems.

The SE-M1 seems to have both the colored mids and tight thunderous bass sufficient to satisfy bassheads.
While the forward and colored mids attracts me, the bass heavy, and maybe not as extended treble qualities makes me hesitate.
I feel the ATH-ADX5000 maybe slightly more balanced (punchy bass, slightly forward mids and extended airy treble).
Nevertheless, if I had the money, I would probably want both. I'm a sucker for headphones with colored and euphonic mids.

Hope someone can do a comparison of the two. That would be great. And throw in PS2000e into the mix would make it even better. :)

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #200 of 1,496
Reading all the impressions about the SE-M1 peaked my interest. Very polarizing opinions about this headphone it seems.

The SE-M1 seems to have both the colored mids and tight thunderous bass sufficient to satisfy bassheads.
While the forward and colored mids attracts me, the bass heavy, and maybe not as extended treble qualities makes me hesitate.
I feel the ATH-ADX5000 maybe slightly more balanced (punchy bass, slightly forward mids and extended airy treble).
Nevertheless, if I had the money, I would probably want both. I'm a sucker for headphones with colored and euphonic mids.

Hope someone can do a comparison of the two. That would be great. And throw in PS2000e into the mix would make it even better. :)

I'm curious too, since I've come across a review of the SEM1 that's drastically different: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...oneer-se-master1-headphones-audiophile-review

That flat bass FR? bassy? And then there's that treble FR which does look scary to me too. That's why I'm very keen to see what the FR chart for the ADX5000 would look like. See if it corresponds to what I'm hearing. (yes yes, I know FR charts aren't always the best representation. just being curious)

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #202 of 1,496
The ADX5000 is more expensive than the Focal Clear but still curious as to how they would compare. The Clear is all the rage at the moment. I don't have a good sense of the ADX5000 sound signature just yet. They seem to be extremely resolving and/or bright. However, if the bass still has some oomph to it, it would be very intriguing. I am just not interested in a treble monster headphone like an HD800 or some of the Beyerdynamic models.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #203 of 1,496
Jan 10, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #205 of 1,496
Yup, saw that earlier.
I am torn between this and the new HD820, which is the same price as HDV820 amp. And it will cost about 3600 SGD here...
Yeah... I'm waiting for the 820 too. Pricey though...

But did you go and try the ADX5000?

Jan 12, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #207 of 1,496
The ADX5000 is more expensive than the Focal Clear but still curious as to how they would compare. The Clear is all the rage at the moment. I don't have a good sense of the ADX5000 sound signature just yet. They seem to be extremely resolving and/or bright. However, if the bass still has some oomph to it, it would be very intriguing. I am just not interested in a treble monster headphone like an HD800 or some of the Beyerdynamic models.

Good question, hopefully some one with some input can chime in as these two may be more likely competitors than the Utopia or HD 800 are to the ADX5000

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #208 of 1,496

Resolving? since when? not as far as I understand the term. These are unforgiving. Very unforgiving. No issues with the bass. it can deliver the subbass impacts very well. I've not heard the Clear, but based on what I heard from the Elear and the Utopia, these are significantly different. I'd wager to say that these were made to go after the HD800S. Not the HD800.

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #209 of 1,496
Resolving, derived from “resolution”: The ability of a component to reveal the subtle information that is fundamental to high fidelity sound.

From the Head Fi dictionary, but maybe I am confusing concepts. The above is what I meant though.

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #210 of 1,496
They certainly are unforgiving, which means the accompanying electronics will be playing an important part, not only in quality, but how well the amplification can drive/control them. I got a very different sound between a Moon headphone amp and the headphone output of a Classé pre-amplifier, which to me, shows that you’re listening more to the electronics than you are the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back