2017-18 Harman IEM Target
May 5, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #31 of 38
It isn’t about Harman. It’s about Sony. Sony is God to him. He doesn’t even know how Harman sounds.

May 5, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #33 of 38
CD900ST with Yaxi stpad2 is again going back to harman target like response and is praised by many to be a better monitor compared to stock V6, 7506 and 900st stock
CD900ST with Yaxi 2 has less bass than Harman iirc. Been so many years since I last heard it. I do get your point though.

May 5, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #34 of 38
Which Harman? There are two Harman curves. The original one had less bass than the newer one.

May 5, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #35 of 38
CD900ST with Yaxi 2 has less bass than Harman iirc. Been so many years since I last heard it. I do get your point though.
I mean harman like

Which Harman? There are two Harman curves. The original one had less bass than the newer one.
There is one official(2017) and one unofficial or community edited (2019)
The orignal one and new one has same bass . It's actually the slight dip at bass shelf, which is filled
In relative hearing, old one has more bass, as the bass from shelf rises agressively making a contrast difference from mids to bass(but it lean to colder side)

The unofficial one is with filled in dip and slight (very slight raise).. keeps mids slightly more bodied but.. decreases the impact of subbass.

Major difference is actually in uppermid. I like the new harman uppermid and old one bass shelf, but slightly on neutral rather than dipping one

May 5, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #36 of 38
if a speaker is small and very close to your ear it can increase the mids, so boosting the bass can help even out the sound, but its gone way to far these days. and now alot of headphones have horrible hollowed out mids that give me an instant headache.

and this crap sound has become the accepted norm now. wow.

if you dont agree then go buy some dre beats and see how much EQ you need to make it sound good. and have fun when that eq processing drains the batteries faster

corporations follow the money and the money comes from the masses of morons in society who all copy each other. just look at religion lol

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #37 of 38
There is one official(2017) and one unofficial or community edited (2019)
The orignal one and new one has same bass . It's actually the slight dip at bass shelf, which is filled
In relative hearing, old one has more bass, as the bass from shelf rises agressively making a contrast difference from mids to bass(but it lean to colder side)

Ah! I was working with equalizing Harman on my new AirPods Max and I was googling and I think we are talking about different Harman curves. I'm not very familiar with the IEM curve. I was thinking of the headphone curve, which started out with about -4dB under 100Hz compared to the later one. I also found where our friend got the 15% love thick heavy bass and goosed upper treble. They're mostly young and male, which I was when I liked sound like that. I grew out of it. The AirPods Max aren't terribly far off from Harman. A little touch up EQ fixes them up really well. My personal taste in headphones is pretty close to Harman, perhaps with a hair of attenuation around 4-5kHz. But not more than a couple of dB.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #38 of 38
if a speaker is small and very close to your ear it can increase the mids, so boosting the bass can help even out the sound, but its gone way to far these days. and now alot of headphones have horrible hollowed out mids that give me an instant headache.

and this crap sound has become the accepted norm now. wow.

if you dont agree then go buy some dre beats and see how much EQ you need to make it sound good. and have fun when that eq processing drains the batteries faster

corporations follow the money and the money comes from the masses of morons in society who all copy each other. just look at religion lol
There's no one right FR curve for everybody

That's just physiological fact

And I don't mind EQing every one of my headphones

There is no headphone I wouldn't EQ

For those of us who EQ for our own sound, why not just choose headphones based on comfort rating?

I guess you can't yet EQ from an arbitrary starting point to your defined response curve and hence the frustration?

SineGen and realtime systemwide parametric EQ (2 of them, one fixed one to flatten your ears' response curve, one variable one to EQ your earphones) are your friends.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back