2017-18 Harman IEM Target
Mar 3, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #16 of 38
Sean Olive on the lower-mids dip in the Harman Target curve:

I found and participated in an interesting twitter thread. Thought I'd repost and summarize here for discussion purpose:

@dealuxmusic:
The worst part of the Harman IE target is the bass by far. The way the low shelf is achieved makes no sense. The result is a headphone that can sound too bassy and bass light at the same time, sometimes even in the same song.

@seanolive:
It's based on science, not the arbitrary opinion of an audiophile. We did controlled listening experiments where 10 trained listeners could adjust the level and frequency of a 2nd order LF shelving filter. The IE Harman Target was defined from that study. We validated the Harman IE Target by testing it against 30 other IE headphones with 71 listeners. It was preferred over the other headphones. You don't have to like it. But we have some hard unbiased data that many people do. And one of those 30 headphones in the test included your favorite IE headphone and I'm sorry to say that listeners preferred the Harman Target over that too.

@dealuxmusic:
The mids and highs are perfect because in-ears can typically achieve a much smoother response (perhaps with multiple drivers) but there are many people in this hobby who feel that the sub bass is excessive relative to the 100-300 Hz region. The way it feels to me subjectively is like a hollowness in the 100-300 Hz region preceded by a very resonant sub bass region (that muddies up the texture/timbre of bass sounds). I was unable to achieve such an effect with EQ on over-ear headphones by following the OE target.

@seanolive:
Your taste in bass below 100 Hz is very personal and depends on quality of the reocording, age, training, hearing loss. That's why we have filters included with the N5005 and EQs in our apps. Personalization of sound will become a more common feature in the future. It may sound hollow to you because 90% of all IE headphones have too much energy between 200-500 hz. So you are accustomed to that excessive bloom or coloration. When listeners had that option they preferred the lower mids to be flat to 125-200 Hz with a rise below that.

@dealuxmusic:
I think the shelf would be fine as it is at +6 db. +10 to me creates too much contrast between sub and the region where kick drum punch comes from in a lot of music. So it can feel like listening to speakers in a room where the sub is out of control.

Me:
Absolutely agree with OP on this very criticism. I sold my N5005 after about a month after I realized this gimmick in tuning. It gives a clean powerful bass not bleeding into the midrange at first listen. However, when you (rightfully) leave the midrange flat and (rightfully) only boost the bass, the lower-mids *will* be relatively quiter. The "correct" design choices inevitably lead to a hollowed-out lower-mids if the overall SPL is constant. This is common sense. How could it be when you were scientific? Well, my guess is that in your listener's test, the listeners were given the option to boost the bass, without controlling for overall SPL, hence they didn't hear the hollowness in the lower-mids, only the excitement from the extra bass.

@seanolive:
We did a bass adjustment study where we compared adjustments made with and without loudness normalization. Negligible effect.

Original thread: https://twitter.com/dealuxmusic/status/1351162757245239298

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 38
With headphones, bass is a wild card. Different kinds of cans handle bass differently. I can picture pushing sub bass in a set of headphones that might not favor those frequencies might cancel out mid bass an octave above.

I suspect these people’s problem might be more a matter of mechanics than the Harman curve. They might find deviating from Harman to find a compromise that works for their particular cans might be the best approach.

Audiophiles can tend to be absolutist. The Harman curve isn’t a destination. It’s a baseline starting point.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 38
Sean Olive on the lower-mids dip in the Harman Target curve:

I found and participated in an interesting twitter thread. Thought I'd repost and summarize here for discussion purpose:

@dealuxmusic:
The worst part of the Harman IE target is the bass by far. The way the low shelf is achieved makes no sense. The result is a headphone that can sound too bassy and bass light at the same time, sometimes even in the same song.

@seanolive:
It's based on science, not the arbitrary opinion of an audiophile. We did controlled listening experiments where 10 trained listeners could adjust the level and frequency of a 2nd order LF shelving filter. The IE Harman Target was defined from that study. We validated the Harman IE Target by testing it against 30 other IE headphones with 71 listeners. It was preferred over the other headphones. You don't have to like it. But we have some hard unbiased data that many people do. And one of those 30 headphones in the test included your favorite IE headphone and I'm sorry to say that listeners preferred the Harman Target over that too.

@dealuxmusic:
The mids and highs are perfect because in-ears can typically achieve a much smoother response (perhaps with multiple drivers) but there are many people in this hobby who feel that the sub bass is excessive relative to the 100-300 Hz region. The way it feels to me subjectively is like a hollowness in the 100-300 Hz region preceded by a very resonant sub bass region (that muddies up the texture/timbre of bass sounds). I was unable to achieve such an effect with EQ on over-ear headphones by following the OE target.

@seanolive:
Your taste in bass below 100 Hz is very personal and depends on quality of the reocording, age, training, hearing loss. That's why we have filters included with the N5005 and EQs in our apps. Personalization of sound will become a more common feature in the future. It may sound hollow to you because 90% of all IE headphones have too much energy between 200-500 hz. So you are accustomed to that excessive bloom or coloration. When listeners had that option they preferred the lower mids to be flat to 125-200 Hz with a rise below that.

@dealuxmusic:
I think the shelf would be fine as it is at +6 db. +10 to me creates too much contrast between sub and the region where kick drum punch comes from in a lot of music. So it can feel like listening to speakers in a room where the sub is out of control.

Me:
Absolutely agree with OP on this very criticism. I sold my N5005 after about a month after I realized this gimmick in tuning. It gives a clean powerful bass not bleeding into the midrange at first listen. However, when you (rightfully) leave the midrange flat and (rightfully) only boost the bass, the lower-mids *will* be relatively quiter. The "correct" design choices inevitably lead to a hollowed-out lower-mids if the overall SPL is constant. This is common sense. How could it be when you were scientific? Well, my guess is that in your listener's test, the listeners were given the option to boost the bass, without controlling for overall SPL, hence they didn't hear the hollowness in the lower-mids, only the excitement from the extra bass.

@seanolive:
We did a bass adjustment study where we compared adjustments made with and without loudness normalization. Negligible effect.

Original thread: https://twitter.com/dealuxmusic/status/1351162757245239298
The bass amount and shelf is given because of what we call a room gain effect in speaker.
Room gain happens at 300Hz, harman or to be specific , sean olive chose 250Hz to keep it clean

A room gain is mostly 8dB in controlled environment, but I think 10dB is used because of what people preferred while testing.
The dip is created for two things.
Humans don't hear single frequency at a time but a relative ratio from one another.
So having a small dip there at bass shelf may create a sense of attack even though In general, it won't do much if you dial it up.

2017 official was a graph to extreme points that if touched in wrong way on EQ can collapse the whole sound

2019 Harman unofficial is far better graph which fixes shoutiness, raises 250Hz dip a little bit and control the bass rise for cleaner presentation. But it's still going through validation I believe.

Keith Howard from IF just announced the new IEM target response: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response

I am generally not a big fan of the Harman target. I think it started off great and it was based on research and logic. However, their "method of adjustment (MOA)" makes it relatively useless for us. Effectively, it's tuned by mass consumers including damaged and untrained ears.
The whole approach to "high-fidelity" seems to have gone amiss.

I vectorized the target and put it in a more common scale.

I think the bass quantity is very high. It is also pulled down far into the sub-bass. Either this is what people thought would give the best physical impact or it is an MOA error. Users could adjust bass and treble, but not freely. The anchors were set by Harman. So if somebody was lacking warmth, he might have exaggerated with the bass switch and turned it higher yet not achieving the result he actually wanted.

Same goes for treble. It looks very bright. It is hard to believe that all of the users had healthy hearing. Also, I do believe that the volume was set by Harman and not user-adjustable. It looks a lot like if some users wanted to boost the volume by boosting lows and treble.

I have overlaid the target on some decent measurements (industry standard IEC 711 coupler).

Here's the beloved Andromeda. In comparison it is super warm. Not just a bit warm, but like really, really warm. By Harman standards the Andromeda sounds full and muddy. The upper midrange and lower treble is lacking up to 10 dB. Overall, it doesn't quite match user reviews. (Well, it kinda matches my perception, though not that severe.)

Here's the InEar ProPhile 8, seriously one of the most balanced and neutral sounding IEMs I ever heard. Subjectively, this is the closest I've experienced to the tuning of studio monitors. Well the PP8 does have a +3 dB bass switch which puts it closer to the target, but I actually think the boosted bass is distracting and fatiguing. I prefer the neutral setting. I find it interesting that some people even claim the midrange were too forward and even "shouty". I really can't agree there, but if it were in accordance with Harman, the vocal presence could be pulled forward quite a bit more.

Here's another TOTL in-ear which recently starts to gain in popularity. The qdc Gemini is considered fairly neutral. In my review I described them as mildly warm for a bit more enjoyment when compared to studio sound. I was referring to the lower treble and a slightly early cut at 3k. Yet some users describe them as bright. The Gemini also have a bass switch which would bring the lower pressure closer to the target. Again, too much for my taste unless I'm in a loud environment.

Of course it's difficult to compare the target if the used equipment is not exactly the same. I am not sure which coupler was used to create the target but it shouldn't be too far off. I've already thrown my salt into it; now I'm interested in what you have to say.
Andro is muddy and hazy for me. 2020 andro is good but old one were abomination

PP8 is a different Frequency target all together
Gemini is a safe V- U shape tuning with nice pinnae gain and then a dip in lower treble creating a diffuse presentation and a gentle bass rise. It sounds big and diffuse(in a good way)

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #19 of 38
i hate the harman curve in headphones.

makes your heaphones sound like speakers in a big room with sub woofer.

terrible i think

i dont want my headphones to sound like that. mids that have no clarity and this booming bass

i love the natural forward csystal clear mids that headphones are supposed to have by having a speaker close to your ear

i hate the hollow mids sound. with muddy bass. gives me an instant headache

and finding neutral headphones these days is a nightmare with all this harman crap everywhere

and i hate having to EQ the harman curve out.

i rather listen to a studio monitor. but many of them come with pads that are too small and cords that are too long etc... (over ear headphones)

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #20 of 38
Oh damn! I love the way balanced speakers in a good room sound. I have headphones that are close to the Harman target and they sound OK. But nowhere near as enveloping and dimensional as speakers. You can sit in a chair between the two speakers and point them right at your ears and get something like headphones. But headphones can't ever match speakers, because headphones can't do true soundstage.

May 4, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #21 of 38
Oh damn! I love the way balanced speakers in a good room sound. I have headphones that are close to the Harman target and they sound OK. But nowhere near as enveloping and dimensional as speakers. You can sit in a chair between the two speakers and point them right at your ears and get something like headphones. But headphones can't ever match speakers, because headphones can't do true soundstage.

ya but closed back headphones can offer a crystal clarity and detail in the mids that speakers cant give

speakers spread the sound out too much and you loose that precise detail

maybe nobody knows what im talking about anymore because everyone is listening to harman curve headphones and the mids are hollowed out to try and give you a fake bigger soundstage and thumpier bass

i had to sell my vmoda m100 for this. and right now im selling some audio technica sr50 for the same reason

i can raise mids a bit with eq but dont want to

May 5, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 38
I don't think you have a good speaker system. If you did, you'd know. I have great speakers and great headphones. I know what each excel at. Headphones are less expensive, require no dedicated room, are portable and don't disturb the neighbors. But when it comes to sound quality, a multichannel speaker system in a good room blows headphones out of the water.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #23 of 38
I don't think you have a good speaker system. If you did, you'd know. I have great speakers and great headphones. I know what each excel at. Headphones are less expensive, require no dedicated room, are portable and don't disturb the neighbors. But when it comes to sound quality, a multichannel speaker system in a good room blows headphones out of the water.

or maybe u have those crappy harman curve V shape headphones every idiot is using these days

so you forgot what good mids are lol

May 5, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #24 of 38
I guess you're right. Or not. Or whatever.

May 5, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #25 of 38
I guess you're right. Or not. Or whatever.

remember this things?

image.png

best sound ever

no other headphone speaker ever needed to be designed after this

put some bigger pads and shorter cable on this and you have the only over ear headphones that ever needed to exist

everything else after this was just V shaped garbage

May 5, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #26 of 38
yeh. yeh, yeh.

May 5, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #27 of 38
remember this things?

image.png

best sound ever

no other headphone speaker ever needed to be designed after this

put some bigger pads and shorter cable on this and you have the only over ear headphones that ever needed to exist

everything else after this was just V shaped garbage
Well, ironically, mdr-7506 has some quite excessive bass...

May 5, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #28 of 38
best music ever

no other music ever needed to be designed after this

put some bass and drums and electric guitar on this and you have the only music that ever needed to exist

everything else after this was just power chord garbage

Attachments

• js-bach-1344852402-view-0.jpg
    js-bach-1344852402-view-0.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
May 5, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #29 of 38
i hate the harman curve in headphones.

makes your heaphones sound like speakers in a big room with sub woofer.

terrible i think

i dont want my headphones to sound like that. mids that have no clarity and this booming bass

i love the natural forward csystal clear mids that headphones are supposed to have by having a speaker close to your ear

i hate the hollow mids sound. with muddy bass. gives me an instant headache

and finding neutral headphones these days is a nightmare with all this harman crap everywhere

and i hate having to EQ the harman curve out.

i rather listen to a studio monitor. but many of them come with pads that are too small and cords that are too long etc... (over ear headphones)
Studio monitors....

Harman is fine, you need a better headphone to perfectly play the bass, that's all..

Hollow mids is due to over the top uppermid and it's better to tame uppermid and bass a bit to preference. After minor tweak to preference, it can sound really amazing, far better than linear Diffuse feild target headphones

Just try not to follow the graph to the core as it's a response taked from a lot of a people and then averaged out.. try to fix just a bit of uppermids and bass and it's seriously nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back