2016 Autumn Tokyo Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival October 22-23
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #32 of 50
  Had a great day today and tried quite a bit of interesting gear, including a surprising number of electrostats. 

I hope everyone that was too shy to say hello today will come and say hi tomorrow.

Amos, did you have a chance to check out Lotoo's PICO?  We started to talk about it in PAW Gold thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/744346/introducing-lotoo-paw-gold/2535#post_12953933 but so far it's only based on a few pictures and some translation from a Japanese blog, thus it's more of speculation rather than a list of features and description of how it works.  If you get a chance, would be great to find out more about it.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #33 of 50
@ExpatinJapan  Thanks for all the pics!

especially this one:

IMG_4858.JPG

Amp at bottom of pic has a Korg Nutube.

Thanks to anyone who posts pics/info about anything else at the show using the Nutube. Oriolus is supposed to have a balanced portable amp using it as well.

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #34 of 50
Apex Audio has had the Sangaku out for a while with it: http://www.apexhifi.com/Sangaku.htm

Pete Millet, by lucky chance, had arranged to travel to Japan at the same time as the show and he brought one with him.

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #35 of 50
Thanks for the reports so far!
Between the school event yesterday and wife having fever today chances of me showing up are getting slimmer :frowning2:
Would like to hear more about the stats, esp with the sr009 as reference (@anakchan ?)
Arnaud

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #36 of 50
Thanks for the reports so far!
Between the school event yesterday and wife having fever today chances of me showing up are getting slimmer :frowning2:
Would like to hear more about the stats, esp with the sr009 as reference (@anakchan ?)
Arnaud

I spent quite a bit of time with both the Shangri La (pre-show) and Sonoma so far. 

The Shangri La was fed by a Chord Dave and was magnificent, and is apparently capable of better according to Fang, as are going to be some changes in final production -- itself the result of many years of work. It has a super spacious sound that presents the music very accurately.  I tested mostly high-quality recordings, including a fair bit of binaural where it was obviously most suited.  

The Sonoma rig with built-in DAC was fantastic too, capable of bass going down to 10 Hz, with the -3dB mark at 15 Hz. It was light and airy-sounding regardless. I didn't have any complaints about the DAC either. This was the end result of 8 years of university research, with no particular target until they decided to use it to make headphones. I could see it as a single-purchase end-game rig for some people. 

MrSpeakers 'stats sounded like, more-or-less, a 'stat version of the Ether Flow. The rig was, in contrast to the others, very good with techno and electronica, having a darker tuning than the others, and fed by a Liquid Lightning. With a Blue Hawaii they are supposed to sound a bit more lively, which is something I would have like to have heard.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #37 of 50
  Apex Audio has had the Sangaku out for a while with it: http://www.apexhifi.com/Sangaku.htm

Pete Millet, by lucky chance, had arranged to travel to Japan at the same time as the show and he brought one with him.

Yeah, I read about the Sangaku when the TTVJ loaner program was announced. That was the first time I'd heard of the Nutube.

Design should make it perfect for portables but only impression I've read is in the Sangaku announcement thread where, so far, it sounds like a SET amp.

Would love to read some more sound impressions.

Oct 23, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #38 of 50
Nice pics, I love Tokyo!!

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #39 of 50

​

These caught my eye. Did some googling and learned that they're made by KuraDa. Seems to be a made-to-order model, and costs ¥480,000, or US$4600+ based on today's rate. Yikes!!
Were they doing demos, or was it just for display? If I remember correctly, these are the same chaps who made that squared wooden headphone with floral patterns on it, right?

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #43 of 50
Great pics, tks

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #44 of 50
  No new Stax? :frowning2:

No, not yet. The main engineer was there and I talked to him briefly. Plenty of other 'stats there though. 

I'm still writing up my report. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back