2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Jan 21, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #347 of 430
  Hey, so how does this compare to the Oppo HA-2? Is it more powerful?

Based on the specs, and how they wrote them, that's unclear to me.

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/headphone-amplifier-HA-2-Features.aspx

http://www.sony-asia.com/local/product/pha-1a

@ 300 Ohms, the sony spec sheet says 16.4+16.4 mW where Oppo says 30mW.  So not clear to me if that's 30mW per channel, or total. 

Further, there is another sony document that has a different spec (26+26mW).  I assume that all these power numbers into some impedance are frequency dependent and I have no idea of there's some standard way that everyone agrees on to do it, or if they just pick whatever makes their specs look better

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/pdfs/PHA-1A_SpecSheet.pdf

In any case, I just received my Oppo HA-2 in the mail today and it's charging right now.  I will compare them with my Sony MDR-1a  (26 Ohm), Grado SR80e and SR325e (32 Ohm) and will stop by my local shop where they have a pair of HD600, HD650, and HD800 for people to test.  

If either of these amps blow me away when listening to the HD600 or HD650, I might buy one of them, but I'd be hard pressed to get the 800s.  

For my birthday this year, I'll be getting a Schiit Stack which isn't mobile but should drive the bigger cans better, so then I'll start comparing GS1000, PS1000, and HD800...... and then my bank account will be empty.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #348 of 430
Well, it showed up and is charged. Will give a good listen with the phones I have and then will try them out with some hard to drive ones. Some people have reported they like the ha-2 with even the hd800s

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #349 of 430
Well, it showed up and is charged. Will give a good listen with the phones I have and then will try them out with some hard to drive ones. Some people have reported they like the ha-2 with even the hd800s

Could you please also share your comparisons of Walkman->Headphone to Walkman->PHA1A->Headphones?

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #350 of 430

Could you please also share your comparisons of Walkman->Headphone to Walkman->PHA1A->Headphones?

Well, in brief, I'd say that with the MDR-1a, I can't tell much difference between A17->1a and A17->pha->1a.  The only think I'd say is that the bass may be a bit too much IMHO when using the PHA-1a and the MDR-1a

On the other hand, with the SR325e, the amp makes all the difference and if I listen to any digital source with the PHA-1A and the SR325e it sounds great.  But the sound can be a bit thin and underpowered with the A17 direct to the grados.

The jury's still out on the PHA-1A vs the HA-2 with the Grados.  The problem I had with the PHA-1A had nothing to do with sound quality, but rather to do with its lack of ability to play gapless albums with stuff I'd either purchases from iTunes or had matched to AAC 256 with iTunes Match.  The sound with the PHA-1A and SR325e is great if you can put up with that hitch between tracks.  

I didn't like the PHA-1A with my iPod Classic 7G because I seemed to get random pops and clicks on quiet passages of music using that combo that didn't appear using either the A17-PHA1A combo or the iPod alone.  Seemed it was some digital error in the transfer to the DAC.  It didn't even go away when I bought the $120 VentureCraft cable between the iPod and PHA-1a.  Nice cable though...

With the HA-2 and iPod, I don't get those same random clicks, so now my comparison is down to the A17-PHA1A and iPod-HA2.  Don't have a cable from the A17 to the HA-2

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWEHSQY

Maybe someday but probably not.  More likely to start chasing Sennheisers and even higher end Grados

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #351 of 430
  Well, in brief, I'd say that with the MDR-1a, I can't tell much difference between A17->1a and A17->pha->1a.  The only think I'd say is that the bass may be a bit too much IMHO when using the PHA-1a and the MDR-1a

On the other hand, with the SR325e, the amp makes all the difference and if I listen to any digital source with the PHA-1A and the SR325e it sounds great.  But the sound can be a bit thin and underpowered with the A17 direct to the grados.

The jury's still out on the PHA-1A vs the HA-2 with the Grados.  The problem I had with the PHA-1A had nothing to do with sound quality, but rather to do with its lack of ability to play gapless albums with stuff I'd either purchases from iTunes or had matched to AAC 256 with iTunes Match.  The sound with the PHA-1A and SR325e is great if you can put up with that hitch between tracks.  

I didn't like the PHA-1A with my iPod Classic 7G because I seemed to get random pops and clicks on quiet passages of music using that combo that didn't appear using either the A17-PHA1A combo or the iPod alone.  Seemed it was some digital error in the transfer to the DAC.  It didn't even go away when I bought the $120 VentureCraft cable between the iPod and PHA-1a.  Nice cable though...

With the HA-2 and iPod, I don't get those same random clicks, so now my comparison is down to the A17-PHA1A and iPod-HA2.  Don't have a cable from the A17 to the HA-2

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWEHSQY

Maybe someday but probably not.  More likely to start chasing Sennheisers and even higher end Grados

Thank you for your observations. It seems from what you said that the PHA-1A wouldn't really benefit my setup. Saving money is always good! 

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #352 of 430
A comparison with ha2 in chinese: http://articles.imp3.net/67488.html
Pha 1a sounds soft but fuller perhaps due to high impedance. Good thing as I couldnt get used to the thin sounding fiio x3 so probably wouldnt have liked the sound of ha2 aswell. An improvement on my z3c as sound feels more complete and rigid with tighter deeper bass. Benefit not much noticeable in quick A-B but is there after longer listening.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #355 of 430

The ha-2 is much tinner and also good, also feel heavy
beerchug.gif

Are these silicone belts (or bands) available for sale anywhere?  Thanks...

Are the original with the Oppo HA-2

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #356 of 430
hi guys, anyone use this with iphone 6p? does pha-1a has better dac from i6p? usually i use nwz-a15 which in my ears produces better sound for my rha t20 than i6p, but now iam fond to apple music which force me to use my i6p again everyday. im also curious about k1 and q1 but it seems pha-1a is better? so if i use pha-1a with my i6p will it sounds better or even surpass my nwz-a15? and also can pha-1a be used for laptop usb dac? thank you.

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #357 of 430
hi guys, anyone use this with iphone 6p? does pha-1a has better dac from i6p? usually i use nwz-a15 which in my ears produces better sound for my rha t20 than i6p, but now iam fond to apple music which force me to use my i6p again everyday. im also curious about k1 and q1 but it seems pha-1a is better? so if i use pha-1a with my i6p will it sounds better or even surpass my nwz-a15? and also can pha-1a be used for laptop usb dac? thank you.

don't have a 6p, but have used both the pha-1a and the oppo ha-2 with my iphone 5s.  I prefer the oppo for use with my iphone and use the pha-1a with my nwz-a17.  Not because I prefer the sound from one particularly over the other, but because the ha-2 works well as a battery bank with my 5s and the pha-1a works well with the a17 in that both devices can be charged together with one cable, while listening.

Also, the pha-1a can be used for a laptop usb dac.  not sure about whether windows drivers are needed, but on my macbook air, it is plug and play.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #358 of 430
don't have a 6p, but have used both the pha-1a and the oppo ha-2 with my iphone 5s.  I prefer the oppo for use with my iphone and use the pha-1a with my nwz-a17.  Not because I prefer the sound from one particularly over the other, but because the ha-2 works well as a battery bank with my 5s and the pha-1a works well with the a17 in that both devices can be charged together with one cable, while listening.

Also, the pha-1a can be used for a laptop usb dac.  not sure about whether windows drivers are needed, but on my macbook air, it is plug and play.
when you use a17 with pha-1a, does it sounds better from a17 alone? this means a17 bypass it own dac and use pha-1a dac right? if it does i will take pha-1a considering a15/17 is already better than my i6p.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #359 of 430
when you use a17 with pha-1a, does it sounds better from a17 alone? this means a17 bypass it own dac and use pha-1a dac right? if it does i will take pha-1a considering a15/17 is already better than my i6p.

Yes, I'd say with either my Grado SR-80e, SR-325e, or Phillips SHS4700, it sounds better with the PHA-1A than with the A17 alone.  on the Sony MDR-1a or the Bose QC-25, I'd be hard pressed to find a difference.  But the Grado are my favorite phones when open back are appropriate, and I use the Phillips to wear as a fall asleep.  I just leave the PHA-1a plugged in on the nightstand as I fall asleep and the amp and player both stay charged even if I fall asleep with the amp still on.

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #360 of 430

Yes. IMO, way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back