2015 CanJam @ RMAF Impressions thread - (October 2-4, 2015)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #197 of 269
  Hello!

I've just made it back to the UK after chilling for a few days in Denver and wanted to stop by and say a HUGE thanks to everyone for coming to say hey at the weekend! It was great to catch up with everyone and meeting some new faces!

Another HUGE thanks to Jude, Warren, Stef and everyone who helped out with organising this year. Another sterling effort this year in getting everything to run smoothly (and putting up with several complaints about the air conditioning).

We'll be sending out the discount code to those who signed up to the mailing list at the show very soon! Drop me a PM if you missed out on the sign up.

See you in So Cal?

Great to see you again Iain! Nice to meet Emma as well. Great job on the T20i and other projects!

Eric

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #199 of 269
Wow... this is my first post. Not sure why I waited so long but here it goes. 

I attended my very first ever CanJam and RMAF event and it was not without splendor and excitement! I come out of the pro audio world so normally I attend NAMM,NAB and MusicMesse for business. I am used to testing signals, noise, distortion and time-domain issues in my lab for a major semiconductor company. I never get to attend events like CanJam and RMAF just to suffice my audiophile needs. This wasn't really different but I was able to spend a day just sampling everything I had my eye on. More on that in a second. 

What struck me about the event though was the camaraderie. I have read and heard about it, but to truly experience it was amazing. Met Jude, Dr. Chesky, Bob Stuart and Paul Barton, which was sort of the highlight...but connecting with some new folks and building relationships in this community just made this event one of the best events I have ever attended in my 20 years covering audio trade shows.

I am the proud owner of Wilson Audio Sabrina's being driven by a Macintosh 275 Amp and never found the reason to change any of that. (I used to be a dealer of Wilson). What I really wanted was to build on was a collection of Head-Fi gear that would support my rather far and wide taste in music. I already own several beyerdynamic cans and a few Senny's and a couple of Grados but I needed to expand my collection. That included checking out new D to A converters and amps. I am Schitt fan boy! I own others too. As a DIY guy I love my Bottlehead Crack! I blame Jude for his videos and this site for creating a monster! I won't give you in depth details about each product because I need to get some sleep.

I won't do full reviews yet but here were my favorite exhibitors:

Schiit
Aster&Kern
Noble Audio
Woo Audio
Beyerdynamic
Fostex
PSB
Ultimate Ears

Audeze - Yes I did try out the LCD-4 and holy!!! If I could get away with buying at set of cans at $4K I would have them already!

Soekris - * The had a proto of their soon to be released USB Headphone DAC/Amp called the dam1021. This thing is sleek and slim and is built off their discrete R-2R DAC. The sound was very clean. I connected a set of HD-800s to them and the imaging was great. Sound was bright and not over driven or under driven by the amp. It was..dare I say it...better than my Cypherlabs 720. I can't wait to get this bad boy.

What did I buy?

- Foster T50s
- PSB M4U-2
- Aurender FLOW (I really liked the sound and the design. Could take it with me anywhere)
- Ultimate Ears UE5 Pro (for on Stage when I play the drums but will listen to music with them too).

What I will buy before the year is up:
- Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pros
- Woo WA7 Fireflies (Power and Amp)

All in all I think I have become a CanJam addict! See you at the next one!

Thanks.
Raj

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #200 of 269
^ BEST FIRST POST EVAR!  
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #201 of 269
Wow... this is my first post...

What struck me about the event though was the camaraderie. I have read and heard about it, but to truly experience it was amazing. Met Jude, Dr. Chesky, Bob Stuart and Paul Barton, which was sort of the highlight...but connecting with some new folks and building relationships in this community just made this event one of the best events. Thanks.

Raj

Hey, I recognize that name. I think we talked for a bit.
Welcome to the family. :D
Sorry about your wallet.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #202 of 269
  ^ BEST FIRST POST EVAR!  
smile.gif

Hear, hear! (or is it here, here?) 
wink_face.gif

Glad you enjoyed it rcphawk and welcome to the Head-Fi family. 

Cheers 

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #206 of 269
  Hi all, I wanted to post to say thank you to everyone who made my 2nd CanJam (ever!) very memorable and pleasant. You guys are amazing!

Cheers to everyone and see you guys at the next CanJam!

Was fun Steph! Cheers 

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #207 of 269
  Hi all, I wanted to post to say thank you to everyone who made my 2nd CanJam (ever!) very memorable and pleasant. You guys are amazing!

Great seeing you there Steph! Good times with great people!

Eric

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #208 of 269
So I'm back to New York City and while at work finally have some time to write my impressions
I only spent part of the first day at Canjam ,my first one by the way, since I was interested In some headphones only and have no interest in IEMs.
First I stopped by Beyerdynamic in order to try new T1 version and I really like it but since it's soundstage is not as wide as HD800 (which is well known fact) so I didn't spend much time with them.
Next I stopped by Audeze so I can try new LCD4 and while they really sound great they still heavy like any previous model plus cost $4k so let hardcore fans have them.
Next I approached Hifiman so I can try HE-X and I like how they sound and was told they will cost way cheaper than HE1K
While searching for Mr Speakers I ran into Cavali Audio booth where I was greeted by very friendly Alex Cavali and discovered that I can compare HE1K and Ether on his great amps against my modded HD800. First I used Liquid Crimson my favorite amp. As I already knew from my previous attempt at NYC meet in CT I really enjoyed Ether over my HD800 and even switching Draug2 cable to Hemdail didn't change my mind. When trying HE1K they sounded much better than I heard at NYC meet . So I repeated same procedure with Liquid Gold amp but my opinion didn't change since I heard nothing that would encourage me to spend twice more money for HE1K. Seeing how I enjoyed Ether Alex encouraged me to try them with Liquid Carbon amp and again I prefer Ether over HD800 so I decided I have to buy Ether so that I can do proper comparison on my own setup after proper burnin and while it's not complete I really enjoying any music I try.
So after trying Ether with new Leto amp at Dan's table I purchased the Ether while few pairs were still available and want to thank Dan for patience during the transaction process. I also tried Ether with WA5 and while they sound much better than at NYC meet but still not as good as with Liquid Crimson .
I also tried headphones made by Lyrus Audio and like dark colored pair which is more neutral than much brighter light colored and should compete against Ether, HE1K, HE-X and LCD4 since while they are on the heavy side they still way lighter than LCD4 and look very similar to HE1K

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #209 of 269

Steph it was a blast and really enjoyed hanging with you there. Hope to see you in the spring.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #210 of 269

Nice to meet'cha too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back