2013 SF Bay Area (Changfest?) Meet Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #166 of 225
Quote:

The modded T5P had a lot of bass. And by that, I really mean a "lot" more than anything else I heard at the meet, including a D7000. And that was directly out of a recorder without any amplification.

It makes me wonder if it is the mod that gave it 'ALOT" of bass. According many reviews...T5p actually LACK of bass... o.O 

Now I really want to try out a stock t5p. If anyone had experience with a stock t5p may you give some inputs them?

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #167 of 225
Quote:
Quote:
aamefford, It is much more.

Take the T5P you heard and multiply the soundstage width and depth by 2x. Then take away the rumbling bass, leave just the refined parts behind. Push the mid and treble presentation slightly back, but leave the little nuances behind, and smooth things out a bit more.

I disagree with so much of this. Starting from where you talk about taking away the bass.

Also is there a reason why this is not on the front page? I was under the impression this was major meet (I almost got bought a plane ticket.. even though I am on the east coast..).

Wait up a sec, are we talking about the same cans?

I'm pretty sure Bill-P is referring to a very specific pair of modded T5p at the meet.  I just want to make sure that's clear, because you seem to indicate that you couldn't make it ("almost got bought a plane ticket"), so I'm not sure if you had a chance to audition the rather special one at the meet last week.  Just checkin'. 
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #168 of 225
The Project Sunrise is a  really interesting kit. I also found out there is a "Project Horizon", which is supposed to be geared towards higher impedance headphones ( 300 ohms and above).
Probably build one of them.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #169 of 225
Well, maybe next time/meet, if they are available :) 
In a different note, I saw one very small Fostex amp/dac (HP-P1) which seemed very portable. I did not try it. Seems like it uses a  32-bit word[size=x-small] AKM4480 [/size]DAC, but not sure what output stage configuration is. Does anyone has listening experience with it?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #170 of 225
aamefford, It is much more.

Take the T5P you heard and multiply the soundstage width and depth by 2x. Then take away the rumbling bass, leave just the refined parts behind. Push the mid and treble presentation slightly back, but leave the little nuances behind, and smooth things out a bit more.

That's the TH900. I don't think it's an overpriced D7000 at all. In fact, it didn't sound anything like a D7000. It sounded more like a HD800 with more refinements... and some magic to prevent it from leaking sound in and out.

About the only thing it was lacking is the midrange of the W3000ANV in my opinions. It was lacking some soul in the mid.

Heavy sigh, I missed that T5P also... I am particularly bummed about the TH 900 though. I've never had an elite tier closed back headphone to lust after. Top of the heap was the d7000 and it wasn't perfect. I really enjoyed it, though my mad dogs are at least 90% of the D7000, if not more, at least to my ears! I'll have to make a point to hear the TH900.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #171 of 225
I knew I missed some stuff, but it looks like I missed a lot of brilliant stuff.  Definitely have to make next years as well...

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #172 of 225
Is it just me, or is 6 hours like not enough time?

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #173 of 225
Quote:
Heavy sigh, I missed that T5P also... I am particularly bummed about the TH 900 though. I've never had an elite tier closed back headphone to lust after. Top of the heap was the d7000 and it wasn't perfect. I really enjoyed it, though my mad dogs are at least 90% of the D7000, if not more, at least to my ears! I'll have to make a point to hear the TH900.

Oops, sorry. I sort of assumed you were in the room at the time. I guess you weren't after all.

And yeah, the TH900 is very special. I'm not sure if it was because of the environment that scaled back all of the open-backed headphones, but the TH900 had a larger soundstage than I could hear out of any other headphone at the time. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that it got a helping hand from Donald's amp...

Is it just me, or is 6 hours like not enough time?

I'd agree. Time flew by. I was out of time when I looked up.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #174 of 225
Quote:

Oops, sorry. I sort of assumed you were in the room at the time. I guess you weren't after all.

I don't wanna start room wars or anything, but that room was special.  It was way off in the back, all out of sight, and it was all odd and low-key.  One table remained empty throughout the entire meet, so we had plenty of room to eat lunch.  And it held the distinction of only having one tube amp (but like four O2s
blink.gif
).  Only the bravest craziest most bored people went back there.  It was freakin' awesome. 
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #175 of 225
If I knew there would be people who like to hear "new" sound, I would have begged my dad to let me lug along his vintage Pioneer SE-50...

Maybe next time. Plus I'm recabling my ES10 now after hearing that T5P. The modding bug really bit me hard after that one.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #176 of 225
Quote:

X2.  We needed to tie that guy to a chair.  I also got a glimpse of an ATH-A900X that I've always wanted to try, that also disappeared after I looked up again.    

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #177 of 225
Quote:

X2.  We needed to tie that guy to a chair.  I also got a glimpse of an ATH-A900X that I've always wanted to try, that also disappeared after I looked up again.    

XD I think that was my 900x, sorry.... =[ didn't think anyone wanted to try it, I had it on the table for a while and no one seem interested so I put it back in my backpack and took it around with me

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #179 of 225
Oh man.  I guess the table that I set up does represent my gear...

Got a deal that I could not pass up and now have a Balancing Act on the way.  
redface.gif

(Will also run with KR PX4 tubes and the driver tube that was in the BA at the meet was mine. So should sound the same!)

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #180 of 225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back