2013 Fujiya Porta Event in Nakano, Tokyo
Mar 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 33
What a great write up and impressions, I really enjoyed reading them, thank you for taking the time to take us along with you on your visit!

I really hope you get to have a demo unit of the TU-05 sent to you and it is a match. I also really encourage you to ask him if he has any Mullard tubes that you can listen to it with as I find that those tubes and this amp really do sing together. One can purchase the amp sans tubes and I think if I were doing this again that is what I would do. Not that the stock tubes are bad, just that replacement tubes for this amp are so cheap (in comparison to say tubes for the Schitt or other amps) that it makes sense to get the better tubes. A full set of NOS Mullards including shipping and testing came to less than $40 if memory serves me.

Once again, thanks so much for such a comprehensive and enjoyable report. Next week I will have an HM-801 to go with the amp and hi rez files await!

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:
What a great write up and impressions, I really enjoyed reading them, thank you for taking the time to take us along with you on your visit!

I really hope you get to have a demo unit of the TU-05 sent to you and it is a match. I also really encourage you to ask him if he has any Mullard tubes that you can listen to it with as I find that those tubes and this amp really do sing together. One can purchase the amp sans tubes and I think if I were doing this again that is what I would do. Not that the stock tubes are bad, just that replacement tubes for this amp are so cheap (in comparison to say tubes for the Schitt or other amps) that it makes sense to get the better tubes. A full set of NOS Mullards including shipping and testing came to less than $40 if memory serves me.

Once again, thanks so much for such a comprehensive and enjoyable report. Next week I will have an HM-801 to go with the amp and hi rez files await!

They recommended me the low gain (I told them which headphones I'd be using). Unfortunately they won't be able to send me the amps only until mid-March of which I'm going back to Oz for a holiday so I told them sending me in mid April may be better.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 33
Oh that great, I am glad your going to be getting them at some point. I am really looking forward to your thoughts on them, I think it is important for different perspectives, what I may think wonderful others may not so balance is so useful for folks reading the forums I find, I know I have benefited greatly from looking at many impressions and thus am able to make a balanced decision. If I can be of any more help just let me know.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
A very enjoyable read! The matte finish on the 334s looks nice. Those transportable tube amps look quite fancy, hopefully they end up sounding as nice as they look. Thanks for writing this all out.
beerchug.gif

yea I'd love to get a transportable tube amp WITH it's own hand swen carrying case :O, that's really very awesome!

Turns out the smaller TUR-06 is a hybrid [not that's a huge issue... iTS PORTABLE] non the less it also looks really nice 

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #25 of 33
A very enjoyable read! The matte finish on the 334s looks nice. Those transportable tube amps look quite fancy, hopefully they end up sounding as nice as they look. Thanks for writing this all out. :beerchug:

I own the TU-05 and it does! I have recently found out from the designer also that this amp is even more remarkable in that it is as far as I am aware the worlds smallest and only battery powered Single Ended Triode Class A tube amp.

I am really looking forward to Anaks thoughts on it when he gets hold of a review sample!

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 33
Great read man, there are some products that i didn't know they existed. Interesting. 

Btw, centrance shirt looks cool. Where to get one? 
smile.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
Great read man, there are some products that i didn't know they existed. Interesting. 

Btw, centrance shirt looks cool. Where to get one? 
smile.gif

Pre-order a Hifi-M8... xD

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #30 of 33
I'm not surprised the Aedle headphones disappointed.  They strike me as the Vertu of the headphone world.  Despite their claims of attempting to create "headphones with no compromise between sound quality and design" it's been pretty apparent they truly cared about design far more than sound quality.

Clues:
A)  They make a big deal about being in Paris.  The Paris location is mentioned before they even say "headphone" or "Aedle" in their promo vid.  Paris is many things but it is not a city not known for sound engineering.
B)  Their vids are of artists drawing in rooms decorated with pretty art, craftsmen in pretty open natural light rooms, but zero audio equipment of any kind; no indications of anyone listening to any music at all, nobody listening to headphones, nobody involved with sound equipment in any way other than gazing at individual headphone parts and playing (or pointing) with images of them on a computer.
C)  You can tell they spent days worrying about whether or not to shave for the promo vids; their look screams "we thought a huge amount about how to put together this tousled disheveled unwashed look".
D)  Their pre-production fans talk more about how they look like an Apple product (or would look good with an Apple product) than how they might/should sound.

Give me a video of a designer awkwardly explaining why his audio product sounds good over fancy hipsters burning through money just for the location of their office any day.  Don't get me wrong, these headphones look cool visually but when I look for headphones I think of sound first, comfort second, aesthetics a very very distant third, and design location doesn't even factor in.  Sennheiser and Etyomtics, for example, look hideous to me yet I use them daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back