2011 College Football Thread
Aug 17, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #16 of 564
Quote:
SEC fans are just the most annoying I have ever run in to.

well, maybe when you run into them you should say "excuse me." 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 564
Another thing I really look forward to are the juicy early non matchups, and it seems we are blessed with more than usual this year. First up, kudos to LSU and Oregon for their Texas opening weekend tilt. Both recruit the Longhorn state (and have been investigated by the NCAA), so they have motive, but still to line up against quality that early is gutsy for even those two brave scheduling schools. The Tigers also travel to Morgantown. Plus they play in the friggin' SEC West. Could they make the title game again with two losses? Their SOS certainly won't hurt.

Other good ones buzzed about are Bamar at Happy Valley, and OU/FSU. But considering recent confessions, one particular matchup has shot to the top of the list. Perhaps, no single spotlighted game can more perfectly represent the state of major college athletics. And perhaps even more fittingly, said game will be played in a city that was built by the illegal drug trade. Of course I am speaking of Ohio State at Miami. It has already been referred to as the ineligbowl. 

In its wisdom, the city of Miami has decided to host a football booster convention to coincide with anticipated tilt. And here first with exclusive info from anonymous sources, I will share some of the guest speakers,

Cecil Newton, Terrelle Pryor, and Will Lyles will moderate a special panel to discuss how to maximize profits in amateur athletics.

Jim Tressel will be in a separate room pumping every one up with his “image is everything” sweater vest chat.

Mike Garrett is scheduled to read from his new book, “hey, there have been more unscrupulous USC heisman winners than me you know."

Butch Davis  will host a an important skills seminar for the preparation of  young men for rigorous academic testing.

That just the beginning. Other notable confirmed attendees include the state of Alabama, Barry Switzer, and Tom Lemming.

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #18 of 564
They're lucky to have Kiffin, if anyone can recruit good new talent there during the sanctions it's him.
Kiffin does recruit well, but credit also goes to Orgeron and others on staff. The alumni help a lot, too. USC has a cult-like following among grads - we're fanatical. That's why the sanctions don't bother me too much. We're nuts about the school and the "Trojan Family" will pull through. I don't have many hard-line beliefs, but make an exception for USC. :)

Skylab, I disagree about Colorado. I think UCLA will be the Pac-12 doormat this year. After Neuheisel apoligized for their stinky spring practices, I don't see them going anywhere. Am also very much looking forward to Neuheisel and Guerreo being shown the door in December. They really should have kept Dorrell. He wouldn't have won championships, but he is a good man, ran a clean program and would have kept them above .500. It'll take four or five years to recover from Neuheisel, assuming they can get a decent coach.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #19 of 564
Viro, you are in mid-season form already I see. ROFL at your awesome post.

Erik it's hard to argue about UCLA sucking, but are you sure that's not a little bit of the Trojan fan talking there? :wink:

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #20 of 564
Oregon will continue to rule the West, followed by Stanford. UCLA, whom I favor will continue to suck under Neuheisel I'm afraid. USC is probably looking at 8-4, 9-3 if they're lucky but they will contend for the Pac-12 South against Arizona State. Look for Boise and Utah to continue their upstart ways, along with Nevada. Just my opinion of course.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #22 of 564
Good or sad, I can't determine which. Here are some CF joke for ya'll. Don't read if you take too seriously what a bunch of 18-22's from your alma-mater (or the school you bought a t-shirt for), do on a patch of grass.

Q: What is big and slow in the Big Ten?
A: Everything

Q: What do you get when you cross the Acc with the Big East?
A: A basketball conference either way.

Q: What is the new slogan for the Big 12.
A. There are better offers elsewhere.

Q:: Take USC from the Pac 12 and what do you get?
A: The WAC. 

Q. Who is paid more - SEC coaches or players?
A: Push. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #24 of 564
Good ones, Viro!

I forgot that Russell Wilson had "transferred" from NC State to Wisconsin.  I was trying to figure that one out, and it was explained to me in the paper.  If you graduate, and have one year of eligibility left, you can enroll at grad school at another FBS school and play right away - no need to sit out a year.  Fascinating.  Never knew that.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #25 of 564

Quote:
Good ones, Viro!

I forgot that Russell Wilson had "transferred" from NC State to Wisconsin.  I was trying to figure that one out, and it was explained to me in the paper.  If you graduate, and have one year of eligibility left, you can enroll at grad school at another FBS school and play right away - no need to sit out a year.  Fascinating.  Never knew that.

But the graduate program at Wisco has to be something not offered at NC STate. Also the rule won't work in the SEC anymore because Jeremiah Masoli caused bad pub, at least this is what I read a while back.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #27 of 564
I'm picking Wisconsin to win the Big Ten by beating Michigan in the first title game. Oregon and Oklahoma Win their respective conferences without losing and play for the title, and it goes to Oregon this time. Landry Jones wins the Heismann but loses the title game. No team in the SEC wins more than 10 games going into the SC CG, same in the Big Ten. South Carolina beats LSU in the SEC CG.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 564
^ I like it, the SEC beats the cr@p out of each other and Oregon sneaks in for the title!

If they can get by Stanford (and don't overlook Cal) again.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #29 of 564
Heh

The University of Oregon - 2011 National Champions*

*The SEC beat the crap out of each other.

--

Here are my official - until I change my mind - preseason BCS conference prognostications.

Acc:  Florida State – The Noles are either there or close to scary good.
Big 12: Oklahoma – I'm biased. 
Big East: West Virginia – Default pick.
Big Ten: Ohio State – Don’t let Wiscy buzz fool you. Bucks still most talented team in the B!G.
Pac 12:: Oregon – Will their interior lines be improved enough to compete with the really big boys? 
SEC: Alabama – No. 1 rated recruiting class by at least one service three out of the last four years.

National Champ: Alabama - One thing about the Tide has stuck with me all offseason. It was the memory of their performance in the Capital One Bowl. MSU wasn’t an elite squad, but they were a solid veteran outfit. Nicky Satan and his boys, toyed with them like chum. This year, their whole D is back and has the chance to be one of the great defenses of the last twenty five years. There are potential draft picks on all three levels; at least two on the line, one in the LB corp, and two in the secondary. What is even more scary, is that a bunch of their youngsters haven't seasoned yet. 

Bamar's main obstacle will be themselves, because talent wise it ain’t even close folks. LSU might make a claim, but I get a bad feeling from the mojo in Baton Rouge. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 564
Viro, I think Stanford would have handily picked up the title if they had gotten by Oregon. Which is why I'll pick Stanford to go all the way this year. New coach, yes, but they are going to be the Pac-12 team to beat. Luck is amazing and I like that kid. I've always (grudgingly) liked Stanford. It would be great if they could pick up a Heisman and a championship this year.

I will pick 'SC for winning the Pac-12 South, as much as they are allowed to win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back