2011 College Football Thread
Aug 25, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #31 of 564
Nah, I don't buy it.. Stanford has holes along the O and D-lines, plus lost Harbaugh, whom was anything but a managerial coach. His schemes and direction were all over the offense.At the end of the day, I don't think they're a top ten team. Luck is a stud though. I challenge you to find anyone to argue with that. Overall, the Pac reminds me a bit of the Acc this year. One possible elite team with a solid middle, which tends to be overlooked when yahoo's debate conference strength. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #32 of 564
I don't even think this year the Buckeyes will beat Michigan, much less get to or win the BT title.  That program is in disarray.  They will struggle this year. 

I also think that the Crimson Elephant is heading down, but not as far down as LSU will be when their starting QB ends up getting kicked off the team and wearing the ball and straps.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #33 of 564
This could be the year the stars align for a non-major conference upstart to take the title, I would love to see that.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #34 of 564
Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't even think this year the Buckeyes will beat Michigan, much less get to or win the BT title.  That program is in disarray.  They will struggle this year. 

They're going to struggle all the way to the B1G champeeeenshp. They play the sisters of the poor early and god knows who Miami will line up. Then they get their boys back (nothing protects against injury like suspension), and get to play the us against the world card. Plus they get Wisconsin at home and have a measure of stability with Fickell.

Mich isn't a bad pick. I'm not as sold on them but considering the Legends doesn't appear that daunting save Nebraska, whom I think isn't as good as they have been made out to be. The Wolverines could pull out of that division with three losses. 

"Going down" for the Tide is kind of nutty. I guess it depends on what your definition of down is. They'll lose one or two. My feeling it is going to be one of those years with a couple teams with black marks in the BCS CCG. To me, it's even more nutty to pick two non-sec teams in the title game. That conference has so much - rightfully so - benefit of the doubt right now where late season polls are concerned. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #35 of 564
I may be nutty but I picked your man to win the Heismann :wink:

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #36 of 564
Heh, good point. You know I'm not sold on Oklahoma yet. They'll be good, but I want to some improvement along both lines with my own eyes, before I start dreaming big. As it stands, I think they'll drop a couple. 

So I'll go with Dan Persa for the Hypeman. NU did start a campaign for him after all. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #37 of 564
Yep, can't blame NU for trying. But at this point it's not clear that he is back 100% from the torn Achilles. Plus, even if he plays like last year where he was awesome, I don't see NU winning more than 8 games, and 6-6 might be a very real possibility. No Heisman winners from 6-6 teams.

But we caught a break when BC's star running back got singed and won't play in our opener against them. That may help us get a decent OOC win.

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #38 of 564
 I didn't know Persa wasn't even cleared yet. I wish for the best for the kid. God's team opens with Tulsa, and I wouldn't be surprised if the game is close in the second half. Check out the poor Golden Hurricane's non con slate: @ OU, OkSU, and @ Boise State ouch!.

Sooooooo where are the other predictions? You know J-Dub and SA Nole have some lined up. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #39 of 564
Oh my, JJ just hired a high profile, high-falutin' defense attorney, and it gets better:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2011/08/lsu-suspends-starting-qb-jordan-jefferson-indefinitely

The curse.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #40 of 564
Ok here goes

ACC- FSU- I think Clemson is capable, but if the ACC lets Dabo Swinney win the league, then the conference should just be ended.
Big East- USF. No stars but solid everywhere, especially defensively.  Pretty bad offensive team last year, but I think BJ Daniels takes a step forward. Just a matter of time until Charlie Strong owns this conference though.
Big 10- Nebraska- I'd buy stock in Bo Pellini. Cue pelliniwasted.jpg
Big 12- Oklahoma- Hard not to pick them after the beatdown they gave us last year. Although I really want to pick fake OSU.
Pac 10- Oregon- With great hesitation.
SEC- LSU- Ok, yeah, there are a million reasons not to pick them, but I think Les luckboxes his way through again after losing to Oregon.

Heisman- Ok, I always like to go a bit off the radar, so I'm going with Justin Blackmon, even knowing it is pretty much impossible for him to win this. But bottom line, I think this is the best player in the country, so I'll just see if the rest works itself out.

Oregon > Oklahoma in MNC game. I'll be honest, I picked this game just because I think it would be the most fun to watch, second only to FSU playing in the game of course.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #41 of 564

A Bama/OU title game would be totally cool and is what I'm rooting for. Not picking it, though. I can see Bama making it, but for a #1 team, OU has a load of problems. Plus there's just way too many people picking them. I'm officially picking Alabama vs. Wisconsin. The Badgers have two or three tough games -- fuskers at home, sweatervestless buckeyes on the road and MSU on the road -- but also have good experienced starters at positions where it counts. I think Alabama wins it.

(Since I like how SweetAdeline did it)
ACC: Va Tech. I'd pick them to go to the national title game if it weren't for last year's upset losses. Hokies have an easy schedule. But they'll lose one somewhere. I think they beat FSU in the conf. title game.
Big East: I think Cincinnati will surprise. Give me WVU to win the conference, though.
Big 10: Wisconsin.
Big 12: OU. Texas AM will probably get the Nebraska treatment as regards penalties. I think OU loses one some place and it's enough to drop the Sooners out of the national championship game. Texas will be good enough this year to compete with OSU, ATM, and Mizzou.
Pac 10: Oregon's the team to beat, yet I'll give the nod to Stanford as these two play @Stanford.
SEC: Bama. I like Georgia in the East.

Heisman: Blackmon is a good pick, I like it. I'm going with Andrew Luck. He's got all the hype. And it seems like everyone is in love with his attitude. If Stanford has a good year I think he gets rewarded for coming back this year.

Last, I think this year has the potential to not work out that perfectly. There are a handful of teams out there that could easily go undefeated. Should be interesting.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #42 of 564
Opening week predictions.

Give me BYU over Ole Miss.
Georgia over BSU.
I think SMU keeps it close with Aggies. I'm not going to pick the upset, but I bet it goes to the 4th quarter.
Curious about the FAU/Go Gata game. Think it could be close but as always it depends on how well Schnelly paces himself.
That LSU/Oregon game is a tough one now. Gut still says LSU.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #43 of 564

Quote:
Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They're going to struggle all the way to the B1G champeeeenshp. They play the sisters of the poor early and god knows who Miami will line up. Then they get their boys back (nothing protects against injury like suspension), and get to play the us against the world card. Plus they get Wisconsin at home and have a measure of stability with Fickell.

Honestly, couldn't disagree more. Ohio State, as a program, is in disarray. Doesn't matter that you are the most talented, we know what happens without proper experience keeping a bunch of young kids on the field in check. The wheels can quickly come off for the most talented team in the world. You are dealing with a room full of teenage headcases. And what has happened to them is going to throw them through a loop. But we will soon find out.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #44 of 564

I had the most wonderful dream last evening. Two Song Girls were in my lap as I chilled in a palatial pad, while Will Ferrel and Snoop Doggy Dogg traded performances for my own private entertainment. Yep you guessed correct. I was a USC Trojan under Pete Carol. Unfortunately, marble reality began cascading back when I awoke and realized that Jordan Jefferson was kicking my cranium in.; bet they didn’t think of that trick in Inception.

In between his club swings, I thought up up some picks. What a crapshoot that.. It’s the first **** week after all. Unless, it’s football U against *insert paycheck school here*, one just doesn’t know what to expect. That is the mystery of the NFL minor league, or college football as some prefer to call it.. Save the rarest examples, most schools are counting on new guys, that we haven’t seen a whole lot of yet. Sure, we get the usual hubris from coach and recruiting rankings can help guide us. But what do we really know until the lights go on?

With that chicken **** preface, here are my picks

Michigan State shall forge a hard fought win over Murray State.
A last second FG will benefit Alabama as they slide past past Kent State
Nebraska will prevail a fierce battle with Chattaooga
Things heat up in sunshine state as Florida shall trip up scrappy Florida Atlantic.
Stanford will chalk a W by holding off a late San Jose State rally.

Book it! 

Oh plus give me LSU and BSU in a couple of other minor games. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #45 of 564
Song Girls?

Storytime.

One time, at Band Camp, the kegs ran dry and two Song Girls invited me and a couple friends back to their suite to continue drinking. Well, OK. :D

I ended up on the sofa with one of them sharing a bottle of MD 20/20. I don't remember what happened next, but when I came to she was passed out over me.

My two friends were up in the loft room with panties on their heads, while throwing panties and bras into the ceiling fan, which was turning slowly with various undergarments on it. The other Song Girl was sort of crawling across the floor begging them to stop.

I don't really remember how it all came to an end.

But the Song Girls were cool. They came to a lot of the Band parties and several often went out with us tuba players during away game trips. They had 16-20 of the biggest guys who would not let anything happen to them.

Good times. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back