2011 College Football Thread
Sep 15, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #136 of 564
I'm looking forward to finding out if the Bruins can make it two in a row against the Longhorns
popcorn.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #138 of 564
FSU for the upset tomorrow night? That would shake things up a bit...

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #140 of 564

Quote:
I'm looking forward to finding out if the Bruins can make it two in a row against the Longhorns
popcorn.gif

I don't think so.  In my opinion, if UT doesn't play the turnover machine Garrett Gilbert, Texas wins.  However, I'm not a fan of Texas and would enjoy another Bruin win.  

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #141 of 564

Quote:
FSU for the upset tomorrow night? That would shake things up a bit...

I think OU wins.  The biggest difference is at QB.  I haven't been impressed with FSU's defense in some time either.

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #142 of 564
Well after Toledo gave OSU a scare they didn't even come close to slowing Boise down.

"Kellen Moore was just about perfect again, throwing for 455 yards and five touchdowns to lead No. 4 Boise State to a 40-15 victory over Toledo on Friday night."

The Broncos are for real once again.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #143 of 564
That reminds me a hearty congratulations are in order to the Boise State Broncos. You did it! You were put on probation. You're truly a football school now. There's only one problem. Where's the BCS trophy? USC, Ohio State, OU, LSU, and god knows who else all got one preceding their recent sanctions. If you're going to do it. Do it right as they say. Okay, you're a mid-major. I let this one slide. No soup for you though Oregon. 

Speaking of probation, why would an Auburn Tiger not root for the Sooners? OU has been sanctioned just as much as Auburn. Where's the kinship? Cheaters, er rule benders for the sensitive feelers out there, have to stick together. I expect better from you too Trojans. Of course, FSU is "free shoes U," so I guess I can give you guys a pass.

Pick time!

I'm on Florida State because God's team just isn't great on the road.
I'm on Auburn for no other reason than that their pros know how to win.
I'm on MSU, 'cause it seems like the Catholics don't.
I'm on Tennessee, because they're under the radar.
I'm on Texas since they have been playing D and now have another McCoy and Shipley.  

And boy do I have an upset special, Run to your bookie now. The Virginia Tech Hokies will defeat mighty Arkansas State.

Book it!

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #144 of 564
You're right on it about Tennessee being under the radar...in fact, that whole GAME is under the radar. Lots of years when Tennessee-Florida was the SHIZ. Now it isn't even getting much discussion on a week that has a few decent match ups but only one that is super-compelling.

Anyway, I grew up in Tennessee, so go Vols!

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #146 of 564

Quote:
Heh, well that post was at halftime, but yeah. Defense has looked real good, especially the front four. But we have struggled so much in run blocking it is hard to not be worried. Our center straight sucks. Our left guard has been pretty bad too. EJ Manuel will probably have all the rushing yards for FSU.

All of this played out. And Fahrenkrug and Stork ruined our chances as expected. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #147 of 564
Sooners looking good this season. Good effort by FSU. I was impressed with both teams.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #148 of 564
I'm very pleased that 'SC is showing a little offense and turned in another W.

It would be great if they could sneak back into the top 25. Wish they were bowl-eligible; I think they will qualify.

Still, beating UCLA seems like a lock. I'm not sure about ND. I was surprised to see them shut down the Spartans today.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #149 of 564
OU and FSU both look great.  Too bad about the Stanford/AZ game.  It started getting interesting when AZ got within 3, but then lost control of the game.  I thought we had kicker problems!  Foles looked phenomenal for the first half, even with the lingering injury.  The way Skov's knee bent looked pretty scary, especially given that the announcers said he was screaming on the sidelines...

Conference realignment judgment day might be next week
very_evil_smiley.gif
  It's nice being in a stable conference and not have the jitters like our friends in the Big 12 do.

I think Stanford looks beatable, but it's still amazing how disciplined the team looks.  I'd imagine Luck has a lot to do with that.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #150 of 564
For a while I thought FSU was going to pull it off, in spite of some pretty weak QB play. Kudos to OU for not panicking whenFSU came back and tied it.

tOSU - also lacking in the good QB play department, and Miami made them pay. The Buckeye D tried to keep them in it, but it didn't happen.

Overall it was a mixed day for the Big Ten. MSU played awful in losing to ND, and PSU struggled with Temple. On the other hand, impressive were ILL's win over ASU, newcomer Nebraska over the Huskies, and Wisco's dominatingperformance against what was supposed to be a good NIU team. And I admire Iowa for coming back from 21 down to beat Pitt. Our loss to Army was predictable. I didn't think we would play the triple option well, and we didn't. Hope we don't slide into the abyss.

Other random thoughts:

Auburn finally got burned after playing with fire too many times.

Florida is still much better than Tennessee, it would seem. That game wasn't as close as the final score made it seem.

I guess mini McCoy is better than Gilbert Grape.

Pretty amazing that in spite of all the conference realignment talk, we still managed to get thrown a complete curve-ball yesterday, although at least the Cuse and Pitt going to the ACC actually makes a little sense, versus having teams from west of the Mississippi in the "Big East". Or having 12 teams in the "Big Ten" :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back