2010 College Football Thread
Sep 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #16 of 928
Had the pleasure of watching our own Wahoos kick the tar out of Richmond this last Friday night. Wonderful game that was a delight to see, and an even better post-game celebration.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #17 of 928
I love that everyone says we're going to suck this year, start the preseason somewhere around 70 and some don't even expect us to make a bowl game and we come out and walk all over WSU while others in the Big 12 had their hands full with a few DII schools. I thought we looked great once they figured it out, Hunter had 21 carries for 257 yds in just over 2 qtrs, Blackmon was a beast with 4 TD's and 150 or so yds, and our new QB Weedon dominated with 74% completion rate. Offense put up some serious numbers with 544 yards and Hunter proved he deserves to be on the Heisman list, even if it is just a joke these days. I'm looking forward to a fun season!

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 928
I love college football! The dining centers are always mostly empty during home games so I don't have to wait in line. The dorm also gets quieter so it's a great time to study.

ISU reportedly has a decent football team but I've never seen them.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 928
You might want to give going to a game a try - it's a pretty quintessential part of the college experience.  

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #20 of 928
I'm willing to spend maybe $10 on tickets. The worst ones are $30. Plus there are usually ISU football/super bowl/etc avoidance parties where we'll pick an auditorium and watch an old Star Trek movie or similar on the projector. 

Additionally, I am VERY opposed to the coach's ridiculous salary ($1,150,000). There is no excuse for this. Iowa is even worse- they pay an insane $3,030,000 to keep their coach. In my mind these people deserve $200k max. Universities exist for education and THAT should be the number one priority.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #21 of 928
Well, I personally believe College is about more than purely Academics. And please note I went to Northwestern, which is a top 15 national university. But I learned a lot about life in college which was not part of the classroom. One of those things was enjoying tradition, and Northwestern has been playing college football for more than 110 years. There is something to be said for the pageantry of college football, even if you don't really care for the sport itself.

But hey, if you are opposed to it, fine, but that means this probably isn't the right thread for you to hang out in.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 928
I missed the OU game but managed to catch most of the highlights. I still have high hopes for Landry Jones despite his poor showing in the box score.

5 losses?!  I hope not!

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #23 of 928

I'm willing to spend maybe $10 on tickets. The worst ones are $30. Plus there are usually ISU football/super bowl/etc avoidance parties where we'll pick an auditorium and watch an old Star Trek movie or similar on the projector. 

Additionally, I am VERY opposed to the coach's ridiculous salary ($1,150,000). There is no excuse for this. Iowa is even worse- they pay an insane $3,030,000 to keep their coach. In my mind these people deserve $200k max. Universities exist for education and THAT should be the number one priority.

I know this is OT so I'll keep it brief but it's statements like this that bug me. Yes coaches get paid a lot but most deserve it. Being a coach at this level brings a LOT of stress on them and their family. On top of that, take away college sports from a school, even one like ISU and I promise you they wouldn't have near the money they do for the education side. I think you'd sing a different tune if you realized just how much they help, sports are the main income for most schools.

Edit:
Just found this. http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/07/how-much-revenue-did-your-favorite-fbs-school-take-in-in-200708-this-chart-will-tell-you.html?wpmp_tp=1

ISU football alone brought 49mil to the school. Add in all the other sports and that adds a hefty sum to the overall budget.

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #27 of 928
So far it's been a very good game. Is Boise State really this good? I've always thought it was harder for teams in "weaker" conferences to compete with "stronger" conferences due to their easier schedule. I may have to rethink some things after this game.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 928
As the Oklahoma people in this thread can tell you, Boise State is pretty good.
frown.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #29 of 928
Wow - Boise State looked pretty good tonight. The only thing is that they don't have the strongest schedule this year. I think they're going to have tough games with Oregon State and Fresno, but am not sure of the rest of their schedule.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #30 of 928

Quote:
I know this is OT so I'll keep it brief but it's statements like this that bug me. Yes coaches get paid a lot but most deserve it. Being a coach at this level brings a LOT of stress on them and their family. On top of that, take away college sports from a school, even one like ISU and I promise you they wouldn't have near the money they do for the education side. I think you'd sing a different tune if you realized just how much they help, sports are the main income for most schools.

Edit:
Just found this. http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/07/how-much-revenue-did-your-favorite-fbs-school-take-in-in-200708-this-chart-will-tell-you.html?wpmp_tp=1

ISU football alone brought 49mil to the school. Add in all the other sports and that adds a hefty sum to the overall budget.

I'd make an argument about the low cost of living, far more stressful jobs that pay much less, etc. but this thread has been sidetracked much farther than was my intention. Please continue the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back