2010 College Football Thread
Sep 13, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #46 of 928

Quote:
The FSU defense, while bad, looked like it had some speed. I came away impressed that Landry Jones found his receivers and made good decisions, even if he did it against a poor defense. I'm also tremendously impressed by OU's overall talent level. We could be in for a real treat this year if Norman doesn't turn into Injury City like last year.

In other news, how about Kansas? Are they going to turn out okay this year? Or is the ACC just really bad? We should learn a lot about the jayhawks when they go to Southern Miss. It's just a shame that the game is on a Friday night. . . .

To be sure, this weekend had some fun matchups, but next week may be just as entertaining with its potential for upsets: Nebraska at Washington, Iowa at Arizona, Texas at TTech, and even Arizona State at Wisconsin. Of all, the Nebraska/Washington really steals my attention. Can the Black Shirts stop Jake Locker? Gosh, I have my doubts. In past years I would have cheered for Nebraska and its return to dominance, but considering the events of the summer, I think I may just root for the Huskies and their contention for an upset.

Personally, I'm just hoping this isn't injury fest 2010 for the Big twelve.  Remember last year almost every single one of the league's QBs got hurt from Baylor on up.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #47 of 928
I don't think Oregon's win over the Vols was any mistake - they really are that good. I'll pick the Ducks to win the Pac-10 and possibly take the BCS title this year.

The Pac-10 fared pretty well yesterday, too. Lots of wins, save for miserable UCLA who was shut out by Stanford. I'll admit to severe bias (my father is a 'SC alum and I was indoctrinated for 17 years before I got the acceptance letter. Four years in the USC Band only made it worse.) but they looked pathetic. I'm used to seeing UCLA with a bit of spirit, like the old Donahue and even Toledo and Dorrell teams, but there's nothing there under Neuheisel. I would not be surprised to see them pull a one or two win season and possibly a new coach at the end of the year. If anything, they should have hung onto Dorrell. Maybe not the most dynamic personality, but he was one UCLA coach I actually had a measure of respect for as a decent guy and a non-whiner. If he was still there, they'd be fielding a competent squad who'd be batting above .500.

That being said, I was happy that USC pulled out a win and that Barkley looked sharp for at least half a game. I am not happy with the excessive penalties. No, I don't blame the officials, I blame the coaching. That many penalties is unacceptable. The coaching staff needs to drill the fundamentals. No more false starts and no more holding. The defense is disappointing, especially with the senior Kiffin there. They struggle with the run and look uninspired. I think the team is demoralized and Kiffin ain't much of a cheerleader. He's like that in person, too. One of his kids is on my nephew's T-ball team. Lane shows up but shows zero emotion even when his own kids are playing. He's not a bad guy, by any means, but maybe not the inspiring figure the team needs. He doesn't have an easy job, but I hope he can keep the ship upright, pull off a winning season, and knock off Notre Dame and UCLA.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #48 of 928
Quote:
I don't think Oregon's win over the Vols was any mistake - they really are that good. I'll pick the Ducks to win the Pac-10 and possibly take the BCS title this year.

Yeah you're right. I guess I'm just frustrated by the difference between the 1st and 2nd half. If Oregon had come out and trashed the Vols from the get go I wouldn't have given it a second thought. That being said Oregon definitely deserves the win and is a great team. They are very quick and we couldn't stop their run game or keep up with their pace. I guess I was just hoping that this wasn't going to be another forgettable season and we didn't have another "1st half team" on our hands. There's still a lot of football to play though.

The other games were very enjoyable. Too bad about Miami. Both Ohio State and Alabama looked very good. Oklahoma was also impressive. There's going to be a lot of good games. I can't wait to see how the field shapes up.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #49 of 928

Quote:

Hell no it wasn't a mistake.  The Vols won't even make a bowl this game this year.  It will take a couple of years to overcome the damage their former turd of a coach did to that program.  Glad he is out of our conference.  Maybe he will pull the same crap at USC. 

Can't believe BSU is still in top 5.  The will cake walk their way into another BCS bowl this year. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #50 of 928
I agree with the Hog about UT. No offense to our friends but not a lot jumped out at me about them. New coach, bare cupboard, tough conference; not real encouraging. They'll be back no doubt. I would just be really surprised if it was this year. 

Where U of O is concerned, a road win is always good, yet there is one crucial area, where they're not elite - defensive interior. In fact, I would rate them pretty average there. National title teams have elite defensive lineman. Go ahead, run through the last ten years and see how many of those guys play on Sunday. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #51 of 928
None taken. Oregon destroyed us and I know we're pretty much screwed this year. I'm just hoping for an upset against one of the big three though that seems pretty unlikely. We lack any real "star players" and we're pretty green on both sides of the ball with less to speak of on special teams. Not to mention our schedule is really brutal this season. I think we'll do well to get 7 wins this year but more likely 6-6 or possibly 5-7. Hopefully the next few years will be better. We're sure going to get a lot of experience this year.

At least I have some other teams to follow...
redface.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #52 of 928
What's really scary is that Oregon isn't actually leading FBS in scoring offense after 2 weeks.  They score 72 and then 48 points, and that's only good enough for second place.  Houston is still ahead of them.

Stats in the first few weeks are pretty meaningless due to the mis-matches in many of the early contests...but still...

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #54 of 928
I'm a UC grad so its good to see Cincinnati win this week's game. I honestly don't have too high expectations after Kelly left. In fact, I'm still a little bitter about it him leaving.

That brings me to the ND vs Michigan game. I am a big buckeye fan. I rarely find myself rooting for Michigan, but this was one of those weeks (and glad to see ND -because of Kelly- loose.

I was fortunate enough to go to the OSU-Miami game. The bucks special teams were horrendous. Not just in regards to coverage, but kicker honestly struggled to get it past the 30 yard line on kick offs. He supposedly tied the team record for most field goals in a game, but that gives him too much credit. Their defense, as always, looked pretty spectacular.

Other than that, I'm not looking forward to seeing where boise state sits at the end of this seasons bcs poll.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #57 of 928
Skylab:
What's really scary is that Oregon isn't actually leading FBS in scoring offense after 2 weeks.  They score 72 and then 48 points, and that's only good enough for second place.  Houston is still ahead of them.

Slick Rick hosts UH this week. Lose that one, and the fire is really on! 

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #58 of 928

Quote:
Skylab:

Slick Rick hosts UH this week. Lose that one, and the fire is really on! 

Yup.  And I see the Cougs are favored by 3, on the road.  I bet they win by 21.  I'm not at all sold on UCLA.

I like Sparty over ND again this weekend.  And I'm picking the Red Raiders at home - Longhorns not impressive to me so far.

I also think your Sooners are in for a dogfight against Air Force. 

And please, oh please, don't let NU lose to Rice...

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #59 of 928
Sooner D's never had much trouble against option only teams. Option with air? Sure, but that isn't really how Air Force (ironic) plays. They are 1st in the league on the ground and 107th through the air. Their QB has only 247 yards passing in 2 games. OU has had strong run defense for the last decade. I see Air Force running into a brick wall Saturday. Also it's a home game and Sooners don't lose at home (often).

The last time these teams met (with identical strategies) it was a home game for Air Force and OU won 44-3. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores101/101244/101244346.htm

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #60 of 928
You're probably right.  But AFA was impressive against BYU.  Then again, maybe BYU was way overrated.  Early contests are so hard to make much of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back