2010 College Football Thread
Oct 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #436 of 928

Quote:
Texas on the other hand? Baylor is good this year, but they're not that good. Man, things have to be bad in Austin. I read a plane flew a, "Greg Davis is not our standard" banner at the game yesterday. Those horns love their banners! Even the HC in waiting, Coach Boom has received some heat. As little as a few weeks ago, any Longhorn would gladly bend over for that guy. He had more Texas fans than Lance Armstrong. Amazing, and as I like to say, everyone will get a turn now in college football. Humility for anyone could be just around the corner.

I wished it was around the corner.  I'm staring humility right in the face 
biggrin.gif
  Coach Brown will work through it.  I can't say I have words for what's going on.  We got problems that got problems.  It's hard to watch, but them are my Horns!

Oct 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #437 of 928
Tough for Texas to snap that impressive string of 10 win seasons. I really didn't expect Baylor to win, but I knew the chances were higher than ever. OU plays Baylor away as the last game of the season, but I think we'll have a better response.

Landry Jones was an absolute beast last game with 453 yards passing 4TD 0 Picks, also worth mentioning is Helu Jr from Nebraska putting out an astounding 307 yards rushing. That number still blows my mind when I look at it.

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #438 of 928
I often ponder when the OU home streak will end. Wish they could just take Owen field for wherever they play. Of course, Colorado was a grade above canon fodder. The Buffs looked lifeless to me, like a team that has cashed in its chips.

jeffreyj900:
them are my Horns!

Respect, the real fans represent not just when all is well. Here's a funny rumor you might have heard. Word is Mack Brown will consider a return to NC, 'cause he is tired of the pressure in Austin.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #439 of 928

Quote:
Word is Mack Brown will consider a return to NC, 'cause he is tired of the pressure in Austin.
biggrin.gif

Interesting....  NC had not occurred to me.  I think he will make a great AD at Texas.  We are going to need to do something as I don't think BOOM will stay for too many years "in waiting" (Georgia may come a calling!).  Especially with our fair weathered fans (not saying I am perfect).  He's probably wondering about now what he got himself into 
biggrin.gif
  I also agree about the pressure, although I think most coaches understand that.  However, pressure this year has been interesting.  Lot's of penalties I think result from the kids trying to do to much and getting upset when the play doesn't go the way they would like (ie: Curtis Brown taking his helmet off and throwing it last night).  Also, Mack's comments after the Iowa State game were out of character for him.  At any rate, this to shall pass.  We just got used to winning all the time (except of course when we played OU which was not automatic).  I think if we had won the NC last year Mack would have become the AD and Will would be running the show.....

I'll tell ya, that Cam Newton is something else.  Chizik is doing well at Auburn!  I thought Mizzou would have done better against Nebraska.  I missed the Georgia/Florida game.  Figures it would be exciting and go into overtime, and I would miss it 
redface.gif
  We'll if we can beat Florida Atlantic and Texas A&M and get into a bowl, I guess it won't be a total loss of a season 
biggrin.gif
  You never can tell with them Aggies though.  I spent a lot of time at Texas A&M on the weekends while in college.   I had more friends there than I did at Texas.  An excellent stadium to watch a game to be sure!

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #440 of 928

For a lot of people it is hard to be sold on Oregon, I'm sure if they were at the point that there at now playing in the SEC and being undefeated, then there wouldnt be a discussion. So the fact that there in the PAC10 and dont compete on a high level of competition like the SEC teams, there will be skepticism on how good they really are.
Quote:
Uncle Erik:

Is it true that because of transfers, USC only has around sixty on scholly? I heard that and was flabbergasted. If correct, I would of picked the Ducks all day and twice on Sunday. I'm still not sold on Oregon; think they're not good enough on D and can be beat..However, even a skeptic should be impressed after that win. They receive my mythical No.1.vote this week and could keep laughing at my doubts, as the season has entered its final act.

Eh, I don't have much else to say about that, that hasn''t been said before. 

The Tulsa win wasn't a shocker around here and really shouldn't be anywhere. Notre Dame has been just an empty helmet with a tv contract, over the last decade. Plus, surely there were plenty of distractions around South Bend last week. 

Texas on the other hand? Baylor is good this year, but they're not that good. Man, things have to be bad in Austin. I read a plane flew a, "Greg Davis is not our standard" banner at the game yesterday. Those horns love their banners! Even the HC in waiting, Coach Boom has received some heat. As little as a few weeks ago, any Longhorn would gladly bend over for that guy. He had more Texas fans than Lance Armstrong. Amazing, and as I like to say, everyone will get a turn now in college football. Humility for anyone could be just around the corner.

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #441 of 928
jeffreyj900:
 You never can tell with them Aggies though.  I spent a lot of time at Texas A&M on the weekends while in college.   I had more friends there than I did at Texas.  An excellent stadium to watch a game to be sure!

Heh, I've been to one game in College Station. It was my favorite experience in the XII. I loved the atmosphere, which is legendary. 

Agree about Newton. Inscribe the trophy. Box it up and ship. The kid is the best in CF. 

Guidostrunk:
For a lot of people it is hard to be sold on Oregon, I'm sure if they were at the point that there at now playing in the SEC and being undefeated, then there wouldnt be a discussion. 

Well please don't put me in that group. I"m not sold on Auburn either. My skepticism for both is with D-Fense. I'm old school like that. Give me Bama all day in the Iron Bowl. Should War Eagle take that, I'll tip my cap. I also said Oregon would receive my #1 vote. What else do you want?  

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #443 of 928
Quote:
I don't understand cal's ineptitiude when they're away. I can't tell if they're playing good teams, or if they are half asleep.

Lol.. I'm in the same boat there. That's been almost every game this year for my Vols.
frown.gif

But as the old Football addage goes "There's always next year."
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #444 of 928
I'm just glad that they play Oregon in Berkeley. Not that they have a chance at winning, but hopefully it won't be 84-0. Same with Stanfurd. Although anything can happen in the Big Game....
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #445 of 928
Viro, yeah, USC's scholarships are cut way back. I don't disagree with the NCAA, but I do not like the way it punishes schools instead of those responsible. Why should a high school recruit lose a scholarship when the guilty party gets to rake in millions?

If it were up to me, players accepting gifts or cash should lose eligibility in the NFL. Reggie should get two or three years of NFL ineligibility. Same with coaches. Carroll shouldn't get a fat contract. He should be banned from coaching college or pro for a few years. That would truly stamp out the problem while letting kids go to college.

Anyhow, what happened, happened. 'SC has a hell of a football tradition and the students and alums are 100% behind the program. The drive is there to have a top-10 program contending for titles. The drive and the donations (legitimate) are there. The program will come back, quickly.

Admittedly, I'm totally biased. I was in the USC marching band, the most fanatical loyalists 'SC has. (I'm also a stalwart fan of my Linfield College Wildcats - a longtime heavyweight in NCAA Division III football. They might pick up another championship this year.)

I totally disagree with the doubts around Oregon's schedule. There is a real east coast bias in college ball. We have a tough conference out here and Oregon has been put to the test. The Ducks will demolish any SEC team they will play for the championship. I'm very much looking forward to bowl season - the Pac-10 is going to deliver and the Ducks will take the championship.

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #447 of 928

I'm not sold on auburn either, dont forget they still have to play BAMA. I agree gimme BAMA all day. My point was , that oregon hasnt really been tested against a team like BAMA or any SEC team that plays defense for that matter. If oregon played in the SEC , i doubt they would be undefeated. BTW i never put you in any group, i have no idea what your talking about, i simply agreed that " I'm not sold on oregon" and if in the SEC: forgetaboutit. Should they be #1, thats to be debated. Cheers
Quote:
jeffreyj900:

Heh, I've been to one game in College Station. It was my favorite experience in the XII. I loved the atmosphere, which is legendary. 

Agree about Newton. Inscribe the trophy. Box it up and ship. The kid is the best in CF. 

Guidostrunk:

Well please don't put me in that group. I"m not sold on Auburn either. My skepticism for both is with D-Fense. I'm old school like that. Give me Bama all day in the Iron Bowl. Should War Eagle take that, I'll tip my cap. I also said Oregon would receive my #1 vote. What else do you want?  

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #448 of 928
Uncle Erik:
I totally disagree with the doubts around Oregon's schedule. There is a real east coast bias in college ball. We have a tough conference out here and Oregon has been put to the test. The Ducks will demolish any SEC team they will play for the championship. I'm very much looking forward to bowl season - the Pac-10 is going to deliver and the Ducks will take the championship.

Who said anything about their schedule? I didn't. I never bought the West Coast bias thing either. USC and Oregon have had plenty of chances the last decade. For the Ducks, it has been some bad luck. Dixon blew out his knee in 07 for example. USC has been in the conversation practically every year for ten years. Where is this bias? Oregon is ranked no.1 in the country!

BTW, I found out USC has 70 on scholly. I believe the limits won't officially being until the 2011 class. They can obviously over sign this year to make up some of the gap. 

Maybe you're right about Oregon, but I doubt it. Right now, they're 35th in the nation in total D. No team less than 20th in total D, has ever won the BCS national championship. The closest was I believe that 05 Trojan team, who almost beat Texas with something like the 40th ranked defense. 

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #449 of 928

Viro, yeah, USC's scholarships are cut way back. I don't disagree with the NCAA, but I do not like the way it punishes schools instead of those responsible. Why should a high school recruit lose a scholarship when the guilty party gets to rake in millions?

If it were up to me, players accepting gifts or cash should lose eligibility in the NFL. Reggie should get two or three years of NFL ineligibility. Same with coaches. Carroll shouldn't get a fat contract. He should be banned from coaching college or pro for a few years. That would truly stamp out the problem while letting kids go to college.

Anyhow, what happened, happened. 'SC has a hell of a football tradition and the students and alums are 100% behind the program. The drive is there to have a top-10 program contending for titles. The drive and the donations (legitimate) are there. The program will come back, quickly.

Admittedly, I'm totally biased. I was in the USC marching band, the most fanatical loyalists 'SC has. (I'm also a stalwart fan of my Linfield College Wildcats - a longtime heavyweight in NCAA Division III football. They might pick up another championship this year.)

That is the craziest thing I have read yet. If they face an SEC team it is going to be Bama. That will be a Bama team that has faced a heck of a lot more ranked teams than Oregon. Bama is getting better every game after getting humbled by the Gamecocks. If they face them for the SEC championship it won't be pretty for SC. Best chance the Ducks have is if Auburn makes it. They can't beat Bama.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #450 of 928
Undefeated Ducks vs. a one-loss Crimson Tide in the BCS championship game, that's the dream matchup alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back