Grizzly Bear- Vectamist
The Future of the Left- Travels With Myself and Another
Thee Oh Sees- Help
Neko Case- Middle Cyclone
Andrew Bird- Noble Beast
The Handsome Furs- Face Control
Art Brut- Art Brut vs. Satan
Mono- Hymm to the Immortal Wind

Edit: I just got the new Sunset Rubdown, so I'm letting it settle in a bit before I decide where to place it. I know it will probably be pretty high though.

It's always fun to see how much my top ten changed. I actually have grown to really hate that Future of the Left album. The rest is quite a bit different also. I can see that I knew right away that Sunset Rubdown would be my #1 album though.

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #152 of 197
The latest from the Engineers, Three Fact Fader, is really nice, if you like that early 90s shimmering shoegaze, with a storm of guitars always swirling in the background, they are probably the best at it nowadays. Been listening a lot to it over the last couple weeks.

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #153 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The latest from the Engineers, Three Fact Fader, is really nice, if you like that early 90s shimmering shoegaze, with a storm of guitars always swirling in the background, they are probably the best at it nowadays. Been listening a lot to it over the last couple weeks.

Good call. I recently saw them supporting Porcupine Tree & bought their latest based on that. Glad I did, it's a great album.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #154 of 197
Goat - the Jesus Lizard...recently remastered version. sounded great before w/ Steve Albini, Bob Weston behind the boards, sounds even better now. What a kickass album!
Picked up the new Mt. Eerie too - very weird, his take on the atmospherics of Norwegian Death metal or some such...very cool after a few spins.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #155 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good call. I recently saw them supporting Porcupine Tree & bought their latest based on that. Glad I did, it's a great album.

Yea, you probably know, but there's a pretty cool remix around of the second song, Sometimes I Realise, by Steven Wilson. Think it's a bonus track on the 2-disc version. Some of it does sound a bit like PT.

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #157 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make that four. Scores high in terms of originality, only the lyrics are limping along a bit too much at times.

I'll also throw in
St. Vincent: Actor

(Andrew Bird has already been mentioned, I quite liked "Noble Beast", too.)

Hard to overlook Animal Collective this year, at least for sheer influence.

I like the Fever Ray lyrics a lot. first it is not easy to make simplistic lyrics sound so profound, and furthermore through doing this it puts new perspective and meaning on top of the single dimension of written words on a page- basically exactly what is amazing about lyrics and words set to music

of course, my argument here is contingent on finding lines like "I ride my bike up and down" "I live between concrete walls" "we talk about dishwasher tablets" hugely profound
tongue.gif

listened to the St Vincent release in a friends car several times around thanksgiving, sounded great. thanks for reminding me to pick that one up

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #158 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goat - the Jesus Lizard...recently remastered version. sounded great before w/ Steve Albini, Bob Weston behind the boards, sounds even better now. What a kickass album!

Thanks for the heads up, added on my to-buy list.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #160 of 197
Slaughterhouse- Slaughterhouse
Jay-Z- Blueprint 3
Asher Roth- Asleep In The Bread Aisle
Clipse- Til The Casket Drops
Drake- So Far Gone EP
Eminem- Relapse
Kid Cudi- Man From The Moon
Maino- If Tommorow Comes
Mos Def- Ecstatic
Wale- Attention Defict
Wyclef Jean & DJ Drame- Troussaint St. Jean, From the Hut to the Projects to the Mansion
50 Cent- Before I Self Destruct

..Still waiting on, Lil Wayne, Young Money & Eminem before years end

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #161 of 197
I'll likely add more in a post later but I wanted to mention Julia Fischer's Bach Concertos. The entire disc is just an intense performance by both Ms. Fischer and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. There are so many stand-out movements but the one that's particularly stunning IMO is the Adagio from the Violin Concerto in E major. Absolutely intense and extremely soulful. And the way it's rendered by my components of choice (Stax OII MKI, HeadAmp BHSE, Plinius CD-101) makes it even more transcendental. I've listened to this movement with my other headphones but none of them compare even remotely, the OII/BHSE is just flat-out amazing on it, it blows me away every time. It's fantastic, spectacular, breathtaking.......the kind of thing that when you hear it, it leaves you at a loss for words. I wish I could share the sonic experience with everyone.

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #162 of 197
A fusion of Folk and Rock with maybe a hint of Indie, most tracks backed with a dynamic banjo lick - great string work, and powerful drum beats. The tracks range from foot stomping to heartfelt. Several tracks are quite dark with some implied menace to them, often starting slow and then quickly changing to a pounding crescendo. This “colour” or “shade” of varying tone, with quick changes of tempo and rhythm creates an interesting but well integrated album with plenty of passion. The lyrics are thought provoking, deep and relevant to the music and refreshingly, lacking any cheesiness.

"As the winter winds litter London with lonely hearts
The warmth in your eyes swept me into your arms
Was it love or fear of the cold that led us through the night
For every kiss your beauty trumped my doubt"

Album of the year condender.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #163 of 197
I think I posted in this thread months ago, but with 2009 almost over I have a much more solid list now:

1. St. Vincent - Actor
2. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
3. Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
4. Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
5. P.O.S. - Never Better
6. The Antlers - Hospice
7. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
8. D-Sisive - Let the Children Die
9. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
10. Joe Henry - Blood From Stars
11. Maxwell - BLACKsummers'night
12. Mos Def - The Ecstatic