2009 College Football Thread
Nov 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #616 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really depends on whether the B10 gets a second BCS team (almost certainly Penn State if so).

Heh, I'm such an idiot. I actually wondered why you were rooting for the Sooners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle_Erik
As for next year... well, it's not like UCLA ever loved USC in the first place.

I doubt any of this group thought otherwise. You described many of a heated rivalry across the land. Now, a little extra jab like what occurred last night, will get me extra interested.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #617 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But Neuheisel took a time out, indicating that he still wanted to play. 'SC got out of the victory formation and lined up indicating that they were going to throw a pass.

Which is what they did.

It was obvious they were calling a pass. Receivers were out. Everyone in the stands knew a pass was coming. Why Neuheisel and his defensive staff didn't read the obvious and defend against it, I have no idea. If they had covered the play, they might have interrupted it, and an incomplete pass would have left time on the clock.

Thanks for pointing this out. All the people upset about USC's TD are choosing to ignore WHY he lined up in a pass formation in the first place...because UCLA was calling time out.

Perhaps it's paranoia or maybe just remembering Neuheisel's somewhat underhanded demeanor, but I wonder if Neuheisel knew there'd be an uproar over it if he let USC score there. Carroll's losing his golden boy/Mr. Class image, everybody in the sports media's talking about it...think his ploy is paying off? I do.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #618 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let the evidence state for the record, or something along those lines: Sam Bradford.

I know what your saying but the QB has got to be willing to put it on the line a little bit more than what I'm seeing. There have been some instances where just a step or two and it would have been a first down. I have seen him hit the ground when then the oposing players were a good 10 feet away from him. Even my wife noticed it a few times. Who knows, the coach may be calling for it.

Nov 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #619 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what your saying but the QB has got to be willing to put it on the line a little bit more than what I'm seeing. There have been some instances where just a step or two and it would have been a first down. I have seen him hit the ground when then the oposing players were a good 10 feet away from him. Even my wife noticed it a few times. Who knows, the coach may be calling for it.

That's easy for you to say when your job isn't on the line and you don't have to worry about a backup QB.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #620 of 1,108
Man I am not trying to start a major debate on this, but if this is the norm then why don't all QB's do it. I don't expect him to put his life on the line but a little more effort would be great. You really need to watch him more to see what I am talking about.

If every player was worried more about protecting his future than winning the game would it even be worth watching?

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #621 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I am not trying to start a major debate on this, but if this is the norm then why don't all QB's do it. I don't expect him to put his life on the line but a little more effort would be great. You really need to watch him more to see what I am talking about.

If every player was worried more about protecting his future than winning the game would it even be worth watching?

This is a guess, but I'm betting Petrino has told him to be very, very conservative. Considering Mallet's a top 5 pick, I doubt he argues much.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #622 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a guess, but I'm betting Petrino has told him to be very, very conservative. Considering Mallet's a top 5 pick, I doubt he argues much.

There is no way he is a top 5 pick. He has an arm but still needs work elsewhere. He will be good but I don't think he is ready yet.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #623 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I'm such an idiot. I actually wondered why you were rooting for the Sooners.

Well -- I have no love for OkySt - but yeah, their losing does help NU get to the Outback Bowl
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #624 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But Neuheisel took a time out, indicating that he still wanted to play. 'SC got out of the victory formation and lined up indicating that they were going to throw a pass./~/Which is what they did./~/It was obvious they were calling a pass. Receivers were out. Everyone in the stands knew a pass was coming. Why Neuheisel and his defensive staff didn't read the obvious and defend against it, I have no idea. If they had covered the play, they might have interrupted it, and an incomplete pass would have left time on the clock.

You know, I don't mean to be a jerk by revisiting this, but I too have watched a lot of football in my life and would never call the I an obvious passing formation, much less running playaction from it. Did you see those safeties bite?

link

Why it matters I don't know, but you did make a big deal out of it. There was only one point to that play - stick it to Rick for the timeout. I have no problem with that. All's fair in love and war baybee.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #625 of 1,108
The issue for me is this - College Football Players are 18-22 year olds. They need to be TAUGHT. And what Carroll told his team was that it's fine to be an obnoxious, rub your-face-in-it Jerk. Neuheisel calling for a time out send the message to his players that you give effort to the end. Carroll's calling a deep pass says that there is no such thing as sportsmanship - which is exactly the lesson his players learned from him. Did you see Carroll's face on the sideline after the TD? He was giddy like a kid who just got away with shoplifting in a candy store. I was embarrassed for him.

This is very different from running up the score in general. My philosophy there has always been that it is up to the defense of one team to stop the other team's offense. But this doesn't apply with 48 seconds left, and where one could easily run out the clock.

I suppose I could live with it in the NFL, where everyone is a pro, and there is no question about trying to teach sportsmanship to the players. But here - I'm sorry - classless maneuver.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #627 of 1,108
A friend brought up the same argument as Skylab. While I still lean toward the "all's fair" sentiment, there is merit to that side I must say. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that. My temper is such, I would of gone for two points after the td to really rub it in.

--

Ronnie I'm sure you're aware where the Razorback basketball team will be Wednesday? Just sayin'.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #628 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ronnie I'm sure you're aware where the Razorback basketball team will be Wednesday? Just sayin'.

Oh gee, thanks for reminding me. I wonder how many players we will have this week. I think we still have three suspended but I could be wrong. This will not be pretty. In the last three games we have lost to Morgan St., East Tennessee St., and South Alabama. This is just f'n embarrassing.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #629 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UVA really just amazes me at how poorly they do football at their college...

That's because it's a real school.
biggrin.gif

Class of '78, '81.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #630 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The issue for me is this - College Football Players are 18-22 year olds. They need to be TAUGHT. And what Carroll told his team was that it's fine to be an obnoxious, rub your-face-in-it Jerk. Neuheisel calling for a time out send the message to his players that you give effort to the end. Carroll's calling a deep pass says that there is no such thing as sportsmanship - which is exactly the lesson his players learned from him. Did you see Carroll's face on the sideline after the TD? He was giddy like a kid who just got away with shoplifting in a candy store. I was embarrassed for him.

This is very different from running up the score in general. My philosophy there has always been that it is up to the defense of one team to stop the other team's offense. But this doesn't apply with 48 seconds left, and where one could easily run out the clock.

I suppose I could live with it in the NFL, where everyone is a pro, and there is no question about trying to teach sportsmanship to the players. But here - I'm sorry - classless maneuver.

I'm a little bit torn on this one. Didn't UCLA have enough time outs to get the ball back? I think Neuheisel admitted in this morning's paper that they were going to try to get the ball back and score. It was probably pretty futile at that point, but I think if you're going to say "we're playing all out until the very end," you have to expect the other side to play the same way, and you have to take your medicine if you get burned.

Now, if it was me, I probably would have knelt down one more time, just to give Neuheisel one more chance not to be stupid. Then, if UCLA would've called a second time out, I would have gone for the bomb, and then given Neuheisel the finger when USC scored.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back