2009 College Football Thread
Dec 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #631 of 1,108
Hey Viro, do you really think that Stoops is "not interested " in the ND job. I myself can't see him making the move unless he is bored and looking for a challenge. Unless there is something we don't know about, the grass seems pretty green at OU.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #632 of 1,108
So in the least surprising move of the last few weeks, Weis got the Axe at Old Notre Dame. And got a "eight-figure" check on the way out the door. Poor person.

I couldn't be happier. This guarantees a few more years of ND ineptitude. And that's a-ok with me. I can virtually guarantee 5 years from now we'll be having the same discussion. There is no way in the modern era to make ND a perennial title contender, IMO.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #633 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't be happier. This guarantees a few more years of ND ineptitude. And that's a-ok with me. I can virtually guarantee 5 years from now we'll be having the same discussion. There is no way in the modern era to make ND a perennial title contender, IMO.

As long as they don't wake up and figure out it is not the coach.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #634 of 1,108
Indeed, that is the worry - that eventually they WILL figure that out. For now, they don't seem to get it, which is great news for all of us ND detractors
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #635 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Viro, do you really think that Stoops is "not interested " in the ND job

For next year, YES, he is not interested. Into the future, I would never say never ''cause he is a good Catholic boy raised in Ohio. The Dame has a few prominent Ohio boosters who led this latest charge with offers that I read range from 8 yr. 24 mill. to 8 yr 36 mill.

I never thought there was a realistic chance. Stoops has never lied while in Norman. He has been very measured and enigmatic but never lied. I say this, since he twice stated he will be at Oklahoma next year. What should come as no surprise, is that ESPN was responsible for shoddy reporting yesterday, while Bobby Stoops recruited for the Oklahoma Sooners in California.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #636 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For next year, YES, he is not interested. Into the future, I would never say never ''cause he is a good Catholic boy raised in Ohio. The Dame has a few prominent Ohio boosters who led this latest charge with offers that I read range from 8 yr. 24 mill. to 8 yr 36 mill.

Isn't he already making close to that in Norman. I see him getting more rings at Norman, but I honestly don't see ND getting him one.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #637 of 1,108
Yeah, I agree! It's just that Stoops has played his cards close to his vest while in Norman, that to say he would never take any job, would be too long of a limb for me to venture out on. But as for this year, the answer is NO!
biggrin.gif
He's not going anywhere, and I'd guess he is set at OU for at least another five years until the kids move out or the program really tanks.

Part of me wonders whether Notre Dame is really such a dire situation. Maybe it is as simple as a consecutive batch of bad coaching hires? Even the most resource rich programs, can suffer when things go south.

It really is a thin line between winning and losing, and should a staff lose or never have that edge... Well, look at Bowden! They can throw a stone and hit a good athlete in Florida, yet have been treading water for the last half-decade.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #639 of 1,108
I agree. I don't think Bowden should be shoved out - feel the same way about JoPa - they have the right to coach until they die, IMO - they have earned it.

That said, I think anyone is nuts to work until they drop dead.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #641 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Part of me wonders whether Notre Dame is really such a dire situation. Maybe it is as simple as a consecutive batch of bad coaching hires? Even the most resource rich programs, can suffer when things go south.

I know the popular response is that ND's academic standards are too high. But, as an alumnus of a program who's made a windfall in the past of grabbing prospects that couldn't qualify elsewhere...there, I said it
ksc75smile.gif
...it really is a problem with today's top collegiate football & basketball athlete. Why they half-***** their grades to that point, I have no idea.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #642 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I don't think Bowden should be shoved out - feel the same way about JoPa - they have the right to coach until they die, IMO - they have earned it.

That said, I think anyone is nuts to work until they drop dead.

Agreed except on your last point. For these guys, their job is probably their life. I've heard too many stories about retirees that died soon after leaving their occupation of choice.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #643 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed except on your last point. For these guys, their job is probably their life. I've heard too many stories about retirees that died soon after leaving their occupation of choice.

Yeah...I suppose that may be true for occupations like college football coach
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back