2007 Micro Amps and Micro DACs
Aug 18, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #91 of 163
Headroom has some real, interesting goodies. I have the the Micro w/DAC on preorder. I'm wondering how much I would be giving up to the Desktop Portable w/DAC.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #93 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I understand it the 2007 Micro Amp/Dac portable is the equivalent (sound quality wise) of the current desktop module and micro dac. Did I understand it correctly?

Yes and no.

The desktop module was a design based around the OPA2134 for all active stages, feeding a Diamond Buffer output stage. The 2134's weren't biased toward class A, however there was a small amount of bias in the buffer. It was originally designed to run off a +/- 15V power supply, however can function well down to about +/- 7V I believe.

The 2007 Micro Amp design uses the AD8397 as gain and output stage (I'm not sure what handles the crossfeed...). There is no diamond buffer as the output current potential of the 8397 is sufficient to drive headphones directly. The 8397 does have class A bias applied to it, to improve sound quality. It is designed to run off the dual cell LiIon battery, which provides +/-3.7V.

I can't comment on the sound of the new Micro, as I haven't heard it, so am only commenting on some technical implications here. I would expect that the 8397 design would be almost as good as, but possibly slightly different from the Desktop Module.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #94 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom has some real, interesting goodies. I have the the Micro w/DAC on preorder. I'm wondering how much I would be giving up to the Desktop Portable w/DAC.

A fair bit in the amplifier electronics (much less in the DAC), but then look at the price and size/weight difference. The Desktop Portable is a sort of ultimate transportable - for people who want the absolute best on the the move and are prepared to sacrifice some convenience to get it.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #95 of 163
Are there any new improvements in the 2007 microdac over the older one? (besides placement of plugs and switches)

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #96 of 163
One thing I would love to see on the new Portable Micro Amp is a line input on the rear of the unit in addition to the one on the front.

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #98 of 163
Regarding The Sloth's and Ty's suggestion that if I upgrade in the Micro line, I should leapfrog past the Micro Home and go straight for Micro Max: Recently I read in the amps forum that the benefits of the Max, if I'm understanding correctly, are in conjunction with its use with a DAC. Since I'm running analogue, what might that do for the likelihood that I'd notice any sort of difference with the Micro Max vs. my '06 Micro?

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #99 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I have always wished that my MicroDAC wasnt portable. Dont get me wrong, I love the thing and its awesome, but I think it would have been a better product if it had full sized rca jacks and used the battery storage part of the chassis to either put a power supply inside or beef up other parts. I havent used it portably a single time since ive gotten it.

Neither have I. Could've been an option? Or maybe rechargeable.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #100 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding The Sloth's and Ty's suggestion that if I upgrade in the Micro line, I should leapfrog past the Micro Home and go straight for Micro Max: Recently I read in the amps forum that the benefits of the Max, if I'm understanding correctly, are in conjunction with its use with a DAC. Since I'm running analogue, what might that do for the likelihood that I'd notice any sort of difference with the Micro Max vs. my '06 Micro?

*le bump*
icon10.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #101 of 163
"when the Brick is plugged in and charging the Lithium Ion Battery does it run off the Battery Supply or the Brick when in use?"

Sorry, this question was asked back on the first page, and I read through and didn't quite see an answer. (It totally may have been in there, and I just didn't see/understand it.)

Can the Portable Micro Amp w/DAC be used in a plugged-in state? I personally don't care about portability and battery life, I plan to only be using this next to a computer (since that will be my source, not any portable music player).

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #103 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"when the Brick is plugged in and charging the Lithium Ion Battery does it run off the Battery Supply or the Brick when in use?"

Sorry, this question was asked back on the first page, and I read through and didn't quite see an answer. (It totally may have been in there, and I just didn't see/understand it.)

Can the Portable Micro Amp w/DAC be used in a plugged-in state? I personally don't care about portability and battery life, I plan to only be using this next to a computer (since that will be my source, not any portable music player).

Yes it can. It will still be running the electronics off the batteries however, so SQ is unaffected (that's a good thing...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back