2007 Micro Amps and Micro DACs
Jun 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #151 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello WarpDriver,
No such thing as a dumb question at HeadRoom!
smily_headphones1.gif

Using the power bar should not pose any major problem as long as the Micro Amp is ALWAYS turned all the way down [.... or preferably off!
biggrin.gif
] during the powering-up/down process.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

I notice when I power up the Microamp, it emits a rather noticeable pop sound regardless of whether the volume is turned down. I have my active speakers connected to the line out jack. I can certainly avoid this if I power on my speakers last but that's very inconvenient. But if I have everything attached to a power bar, it seems to avoid the pop sound. So that's why I asked if it's safe to just keep everything attached to a power bar.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #153 of 163
Pretty much every headphone amp I've ever heard clicks or thumps on startup.

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #156 of 163
I'll try to keep this concise, but I've had a number of thoughts about my Portable Micro Amp/DAC1 and feel the desire to share them with someone who may give a rip. There may be a number of threads that this is relevant to, but here's where this post landed.

Let me start this by indicating that my impression of this unit is overwhelmingly positive. Taking in to account what I paid for it, it is one of my most favorable audio acquisitions. I will carp a bit about it later on, so keep this in mind.

Associated equipment: Grado SR-60. Etymotic ER4P, & Sennheiser HD650 phones. IRiver IHP 120, DFI motherboard coax out, TOSHIBA Qosmio G35-AV660 laptop optical digital out, Music Hall RDR radio, Aragon 4004 MK II amp, B&W DM303 speakers, Headroom Total Bithead. I also used the Musical Fidelity XCan 3 for one comparison, but did not do a comprehensive head-to head.

I would first commend to you the SoundStage! review of this unit. With a couple exceptions I'll discuss later, it gets this unit right. Like most such reviews, it sounds like a shill job, but in this case, I don't think they are being overly effusive.

For me, I'll start with the prime directive of this unit - to be a headphone amp. If you have or are going to use the Grados, you're better off with the Total Bithead. First, they are a synergistic combination. If you know someone with a PC and a limited budget who is looking to get a taste of high-end audio on a budget, this is a pretty reasonalbly priced introduction. Frankly, if these are your headphones, moving up to a Portable Micro is not going to add that much to your experience. OTOH, if you can afford better cans, you will certainly be able to appreciate the advantages of the Portable Micro. The ER4Ps do a very good job, even with less-than-optimal sources. When portability is the priority, plugging them right in to the IRiver produces pretty reasonable results (Just don't use the IRiver remote. The design of the jack is an atrocity and it craps up the sound in ways I would not have thought possible). If you can stand just a slight bit of bulk, by all means insert the Micro Amp/DAC in to the chain. With these phones, it represents a major improvement. If, like me, you use this combo on a plane, it will be the most pleasant flight you ever had. The Etys are pretty sensitive, and don't need the extra juice of the Headroom that much, so I attribute much of the improvement to the superb DAC portion.

On to the headliner, the Senns. The combo of this and the original Total Bithead was a bit of a disappointment. Headroom must have understood the limitations too, as they issued an update with more gain. Never heard the new unit, but the old one didn't quite cut it. I'm not sure what cans Headroom used to develop the Portable Micro Pro/DAC, but if it turned out to be the Senn HD-650s, I wouldn't be surprised. This combination is dazzling. The Stereophile review of these cans describes the bass as being "indistinct" or something of that ilk. Obviously, they did not listen to them through this Headroom amp. Detail, top to bottom, is excellent. One downside of this is that I cannot listen to recordings of Glenn Gould or Keith Jarret through this combo, as their atrocious vocalization is too apparent to ignore. For everything else, this is a delight. I've always been a bit puzzled by the recurrent cliche of the audio press that a component is "ruthlessly revealing" of recordings that are less than optimal. Are those who use this phrase suggesting that they would sound better through inferior equipment? Rest assured that the Micro Amp/DAC contains plenty of Ruth as it reveals the details of the music to you. As a matter of fact, the Headroom/Senn combo made such a wide variety of music sound good, I wondered if it was contributing the infamous "euphonic colorations" to the source. Then I decided to stop worrying and enjoy.

This brings me to a point where I diverge from the SoundStage! review. On the issue of break-in, they state:
"I used the Portable Micro amp with DAC for a good month before I sat down to begin the review process. I wanted to make sure it had plenty of run-in time, whether it needed it or not. To be honest, I didn’t notice any great differences in the Portable Micro's sonics whether it came straight from the box or after a month's use. Maybe the sound was a smidgen warmer and smoother after some use, but I had to listen very closely to notice it."

When I first used the unit, I wondered if that exquisite detail was going to come at the expense of enduring an upper-midrange harshness that was often quite annoying. The helpful folks at Headroom suggested 50 hours of break-in. I found that it took about twice that much use for things to really smooth out. Don't know how many hours the SoundStage! folks actually used it during that month, but the change for me was unsubltle. I don't subscribe to all audiophile dogma (note the lack of discussion of cables) but this was a major change.

I don't use headphones much at home right now, and I haven't done a lot of traveling where I have had a chance to listen to music. This doesn't mean that I haven't had plenty of use from this unit lately. I have had to spend a great deal of time on my computer at home, and it has been an integral part of my desktop sound system. The SoundStage! review fails to mention this, but if you use the right adapter plug (which the ever-helpful Headroom staff helped me get) you can also use a coaxial digital source with the Amp/DAC. In this context, it becomes a DAC/Analog preamp. I take the output to a vintage-but-superb Aragon 4004 MK II. Isn't this overkill for the small, humble B&W bookshelf speakers? That's what I figured. I used the Aragon because I had it sitting around after an upgrade in my main system. I was unprepared for the superb depth and dynamics this system produced. If you don't believe me, try it sometimes. High quality, high current amps don't just benefit electrostatics and their ilk. I know the speakers are the weak link in this system and will upgrade someday, but it doesn't sound bad now.

Not to say that this system is all sweetness and light. I know that this isn't what this unit was primarily designed for, but as long as it has this functionality, a couple things need attention come time to do the first revision. Firstly, the volume control is a noisy POS. This is bad enough with headphones, but when your putting 200 to 400 WPC through bookshelf speakers, some mighty ugly sounds can ensue. If you do attempt using this apparatus as a DAC/preamp, keep one thing in mind. Don't do anything to the Headroom, including turning it on or off, plugging or unplugging anything, etc., with the power amp on. I am very fortunate that the Aragon has excellent protection circuitry built in to it. Also keep in mind that you cannot keep it plugged in to the AC indefinitely. Even if you do, it will abruptly and without warning go dead, resulting in awful sounds blasting through your speakers - regardless of where you have the volume set. It has no type of battery strength indicator, so unless you can employ your best precognizant skills, you will be hearing this noise. I wonder if this is where the White Stripes developed the inspiration for their album name "Icky Thump". None of this has, of course, deterred me in the least from using the Amp/DAC in this type of system. It sounds really good and, like I said, the Aragon has good protection circuitry.

Other thoughts:

S/PDIF inputs do sound better than USB, if you have a choice. You may have seen technical explanations for this. They know more about it than I do.

Up until I got this unit, I was never a big fan of Crossfeed. I thought the Absolute Sound reviewer who maintained that it was able to project a sonic image outside the head was smoking something better than I had access to. The sonic penalty it exacted wasn't huge, but it was enough to outweigh any other advantages. Clearly Headroom has been working on this. The negatives are now so negligible that the positive effects on some types of recordings are worth it. I still keep it turned off most of the time, but I definitely use it.

Even with high output sources, I usually keep the gain switch on high. It limits the useful range of the volume control, but I think it sounds a little better. It may just be that I'm not doing a real good job of volume matching during my A/B comparisons. I won't argue with anyone coming to a different conclusion.

I didn't compare it to the Musical Fidelity head-to-head as headphone amplifiers. However, since MF does sell a similar "tube buffer" which it purports to have a positive sonic impact when inserted in the chain, I did run the output of the Headroom through it and plugged the Senns in to the MF. The effect? Nada. My ears were unable to detect any sonic impact, positive or negative, from the MF. YMMV. Overall, I have a high opinion of both pieces, but they don't appear to augment one another.

Its battery life is excellent for a component of its type.

Most people who post on this site seem to have positive experiences with the sales/CS/tech staff at Headroom. Add my voice to the chorus.

Wish list for the next revision:

1) A volume control that doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard when you turn it.

2) The ability to do something to the Headroom that doesn't cause awful noises when both it and a power amp are on.

3) A fixed volume line output for when you just need to use it as a portable DAC.

4) Some type of battery indicator, no matter how rudimentary, to warn you that all hell may be breaking loose soon.

These caveats aside, I am still very happy with this unit. With the possible exception of my IHP-120, it is the most versatile piece of kit I have ever owned. Most importantly, the sound is superb by any standards, and dazzling for a component of this flexibility at this price.

I guess this wasn't too concise. Hope you found it useful.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #157 of 163
I have a dumb question.

Would a pair or Grado-RS2's work by directly plugging them into a Micro DAC line-out. I keep thinking it could, but everything I'm reading says I would need an amp or home theater device plugged into the line-out and have my headphones plugged into that for the DAC to work.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #158 of 163
>>I wonder if this is where the White Stripes developed the inspiration for their album name "Icky Thump."

Actually, having nothing to do with HR micros... in the mid seventies, when Kung Fu movies were big, along with that Keith Carradine TV series, and "Kung Fu Fighting" was a big hit song... there was a British comedy trio named The Goodies. Kind of a poor man's Monty Python. They did a skit on their TV show about a British martial art named "Icky Thump." Its practitioners hit one another over the head with thick black sausages. The better you got, the thicker and longer your sausage (sounds obscene, and probably was meant to), and the wider your flat cap.

I lived in England during my middle school years, and watched the Goodies show religiously; I was tickled to see the return of the "Icky Thump" title, though I know little about the White Stripes. (Is it any good?) I guessed it would be a title most of their audience wouldn't have a clue about. They must have seen reruns of the episodes as kids. Probably somebody's put a clip of it on YouTube by now.

More obscure album titles-- in that era David Bowie's album "Low" came out. Somewhere I read an interview with him where he expressed surprise how few had figured out the visual pun-- it is supposed to be "Low Profile," which is what he had been keeping in Berlin. Below the "Low" is a picture of Bowie in profile. I have to say I never thought about it until I read the interview. And now, back to HR micros.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #159 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Incarcerate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a dumb question.

Would a pair or Grado-RS2's work by directly plugging them into a Micro DAC line-out. I keep thinking it could, but everything I'm reading says I would need an amp or home theater device plugged into the line-out and have my headphones plugged into that for the DAC to work.

Howdy Incarcerate,

We don't recommend connecting headphones directly to our Micro DACs. The HeadRoom Micro DACs are dedicated D-A components with a rather 'hot' [2.4v] line-level output meant for connection into a dedicated headphone amplifier stage or other amp/pre-amp of some sort for final amplification into your headphones. That very robust signal (no independent volume controls on the DAC devices!) would likely prove very loud and perhaps even cause some audible distortion with your highly efficient/low-impedance Grado headphones!

Keep in mind if you have a unused tape, aux, or component loop available on your receiver or home theatre unit, you can always feed from the Micro DAC into that open connection simply using an RCA-to-mini interconnect cable! Various HeadRoom Micro DAC connection options are shown below:

Connecting your Micro DAC and Ultra Micro DAC - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #160 of 163
I'm not going to reprint this entire post (way too long for that - if you're interested, go back and read it) but I will respond to certain sections - mainly becasue I don't disagree with much of Gregor's accessments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me start this by indicating that my impression of this unit is overwhelmingly positive. Taking in to account what I paid for it, it is one of my most favorable audio acquisitions.

Boy oh boy do I agree here.

Quote:

I would first commend to you the SoundStage! review of this unit. With a couple exceptions I'll discuss later, it gets this unit right.

Well, thanks. I appreciate your candor. Feedback is always important - good or bad

Quote:

Like most such reviews, it sounds like a shill job, but in this case, I don't think they are being overly effusive.

If you can tell me how to write a review of a piece of equipment as good as the Portable Micro Amp w/DAC and NOT have it sound "shilly" please let me know. That certainly wasn't my intention, but when someone designs a piece of equipment - at any price - that does as much right as the Portable Micro it's hard not to sound enthusiastic.

Quote:

For me, I'll start with the prime directive of this unit - to be a headphone amp. .................. if you can afford better cans, you will certainly be able to appreciate the advantages of the Portable Micro.

Once again, Gregor hits the nail right on the head. Mirrors my finding to a tee.

Quote:

If, like me, you use this combo on a plane, it will be the most pleasant flight you ever had. The Etys are pretty sensitive, and don't need the extra juice of the Headroom that much, so I attribute much of the improvement to the superb DAC portion.

Don't sell that extra power short. First, it's clean, coming from a battery as opposed to the crappy juice coming from the wall. Second, not only is the DAC section an improvement, but so are most of the other parts as well. This also contibutes to the Portable Micro's excellent performance.

Quote:

On to the headliner, the Senns. The combo of this and the original Total Bithead was a bit of a disappointment. Headroom must have understood the limitations too, as they issued an update with more gain. Never heard the new unit, but the old one didn't quite cut it.

That new gain switch on the new Total Bitheads really does a better job of driving headphones like the Sennheiser or AKG cans. But it doesn't reach the same heights as the Portable Micro by any strech.

Quote:

This brings me to a point where I diverge from the SoundStage! review. On the issue of break-in, they state:
"I used the Portable Micro amp with DAC for a good month before I sat down to begin the review process. I wanted to make sure it had plenty of run-in time, whether it needed it or not. To be honest, I didn’t notice any great differences in the Portable Micro's sonics whether it came straight from the box or after a month's use. Maybe the sound was a smidgen warmer and smoother after some use, but I had to listen very closely to notice it."

When I first used the unit, I wondered if that exquisite detail was going to come at the expense of enduring an upper-midrange harshness that was often quite annoying. The helpful folks at Headroom suggested 50 hours of break-in. I found that it took about twice that much use for things to really smooth out. Don't know how many hours the SoundStage! folks actually used it during that month, but the change for me was unsubltle. I don't subscribe to all audiophile dogma (note the lack of discussion of cables) but this was a major change.

Well, to each their own. I didn't notice a huge difference using my reference AKG K701s, but perhaps my unit had some burn-in time before I received it for review. Or maybe I'm more tolerant that you. The bottom line is, when each of us reach optimum we both agree that the Portable Micro is a darn fine unit.

Quote:

I don't use headphones much at home right now, and I haven't done a lot of traveling where I have had a chance to listen to music. This doesn't mean that I haven't had plenty of use from this unit lately. I have had to spend a great deal of time on my computer at home, and it has been an integral part of my desktop sound system. The SoundStage! review fails to mention this, but if you use the right adapter plug (which the ever-helpful Headroom staff helped me get) you can also use a coaxial digital source with the Amp/DAC.

Well there are three reasons I didn't go into deatil about this feature (though I do belive I did mention that it is available). First, the review was of the Portable Micro as a PORTABLE amp/DAC. Thus, that was how I used it. Second, I didn't have access to the correct cable to be able to test this aspect out since that wasn't the focus of the review. Third, the review would have been way too long had I included my impressions of using the Portable Micro as a preamp. But thank you for bringing up how good it is in this regard.

Quote:

S/PDIF inputs do sound better than USB, if you have a choice. You may have seen technical explanations for this. They know more about it than I do.

In a word, Jitter. USB is full of it, S/PDIF send through much less

Quote:

Up until I got this unit, I was never a big fan of Crossfeed. I thought the Absolute Sound reviewer who maintained that it was able to project a sonic image outside the head was smoking something better than I had access to. The sonic penalty it exacted wasn't huge, but it was enough to outweigh any other advantages. Clearly Headroom has been working on this. The negatives are now so negligible that the positive effects on some types of recordings are worth it. I still keep it turned off most of the time, but I definitely use it.

Ah, another convert.

Quote:

Its battery life is excellent for a component of its type.

Yep again. (See how many times we've agreed?
atsmile.gif
)

Quote:

Most people who post on this site seem to have positive experiences with the sales/CS/tech staff at Headroom. Add my voice to the chorus.

Headroom is very simply one of the best companies I've ever dealt with. Knowledgeable, helpful, and just plain fun to talk to.

Quote:

Wish list for the next revision:

1) A volume control that doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard when you turn it.

2) The ability to do something to the Headroom that doesn't cause awful noises when both it and a power amp are on.

3) A fixed volume line output for when you just need to use it as a portable DAC.

4) Some type of battery indicator, no matter how rudimentary, to warn you that all hell may be breaking loose soon.

I would certainly be happy with 1 & 4, I can live happily without 2 & 3. But that's just me. YMMV.

Quote:

These caveats aside, I am still very happy with this unit. With the possible exception of my IHP-120, it is the most versatile piece of kit I have ever owned. Most importantly, the sound is superb by any standards, and dazzling for a component of this flexibility at this price.I guess this wasn't too concise. Hope you found it useful.

Concise, no. Helpful, absolutely. And once again we agree that the Portable Micro Amp w/DAC is one versatile and amazingly good sounding "piece of kit" available today.

Gregor, thanks agian for the mini review. Lets me know I wasn't off base with my accessment.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #161 of 163
Oh, one thing that I forgot to mention. As I sit here typing all this I'm listening to my Portable Micro Amp w/DAC with my iPod and AKG K701 headphones and enjoying every second of it. Sweet combo. As is the Portable Micro and my Shure E530s for travel.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #162 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my (adjusted for inflation) $2

Meh, don't sell yourself short.

beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #163 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, don't sell yourself short.

beerchug.gif

Tyll, my opinion and that $2 might, just might, be able to buy you a cup of coffee.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back