2007 Micro Amps and Micro DACs
Nov 25, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #121 of 163
Now that Head-Fi (and the HeadRoom sponsored threads) are running again, can anyone help point me to or provide replies to the two questions I asked in my most recent post? I will appreciate the pointers or answers that are offered very much, thanks. That's a long way to say "BUMP", isn't it?

Nov 25, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #122 of 163
redundant post, n/m.

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #123 of 163
I ordered a 2007 Ultra Micro DAC this past week, and it's expected to ship this coming week. When it arrives, I'll try the things I asked about, and I'll update this thread with the answers that I find.

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #124 of 163
I can't wait to get my headroom microDAC in 10 days
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #125 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) What are the bit-depth/sampling-rate locking limits (USB and S/PDIF) for the New Ultra-Micro DAC?
If these have already been given, and I've missed them, then I apologize for asking again. A reference to the original answer will give me what I need.

2) To be specific, I've got some computer applications for which my soundcard puts out digital at 16-bit depth/22050 Hz sampling rate. Will the Ultra-Micro DAC USB and S/PDIF lock on this and output analog? Does "up to X" sampling rate mean any sampling rate <= X or does that mean one of a fixed set of commonly used sampling rates <= X?
If it means one of a commonly used fixed set, then what is the list of sampling rates contained in that fixed set?

Thanks very much in advance for any information anyone is willing to offer.

Geez, 16k/22500hz? I duuno, I'll ask Joe.

(Yet another way of saying: "Bump.")

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #126 of 163
Quote:

... I've got some computer applications for which my soundcard puts out digital at 16-bit depth/22050 Hz sampling rate. Will the Ultra-Micro DAC USB and S/PDIF lock on this and output analog?

The 2007 Ultra-Micro DAC I ordered arrived tonight, and I'm very happy to report that 16-bit/22050 HZ sampling rate optical digital input was locked on and analog audio was produced by the 2007 Ultra-Micro DAC. I don't have a USB cable with a mini-B connector, so I cannot try this with USB until I obtain one. If, at some point, Joe has time to offer a fuller answer to this question, I'll always be very glad and appreciative to be enriched and informed by it. But, for now, I'm very happy with this targetted snippet of an answer I've discovered.

Oh, and BTW, the analog audio produced by this little beauty (powered by the Desktop Power Supply) is so much sweeter and more drenchingly involving than I could have imagined - after only a few hours of use out of the box, playing 320 kbps mp3s through the optical output of a Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #127 of 163
^ Yeah, the sound from this thing is friggin incredible. I think its going to be the last dac I ever buy.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #128 of 163
Quote:

I'm very happy to report that 16-bit/22050 HZ sampling rate optical digital input was locked on and analog audio was produced by the 2007 Ultra-Micro DAC. ... If, at some point, Joe has time to offer a fuller answer to this question, I'll always be very glad and appreciative to be enriched and informed by it.

Awe, he'll just ask if it locked, and when you tell him it did he'll just say, "OK, guess that worked out." and be off on to the next thing.

Glad you're enjoying it. Rock on.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #129 of 163
considering I use a Rev A iMac G5 with me 2006 MicroAmp w/ DM and MicroDAC, which would you upgrade to first in the Ultra Micro line if you could only upgrade to one unit at a time?

I assume the Ultra Amp would be the better upgrade over the Ultra DAC.

do to earlier post in this thread I should not even be considering the standard 2007 MicroAmp and DAC as an upgrade to me 2006 MicroStack. I should be making the jump to the Ultra line.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #130 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which would you upgrade to first in the Ultra Micro line if you could only upgrade to one unit at a time?

I assume the Ultra Amp would be the better upgrade over the Ultra DAC.

My own common sense told me the answer is go Ultra DAC first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #131 of 163
I went with the amp first, but you'll probably end up getting both, I did.
Should be here wed.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #132 of 163
I'm curious as to what would be better to upgrade first(ultra microamp or microDAC). I've got a Corda MOVE at the moment.

(Bump)

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #133 of 163
Stab in the dark here because, of course, YOU SHOULD GET BOTH!

Sorry, don't get promotional much, but every once in a while one slips out.

Seriously (HA!) I think the source is more important than the amp, but that's old news around here isn't it?

[size=xx-small]Get both! (%
[/size]

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #134 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stab in the dark here because, of course, YOU SHOULD GET BOTH!

Sorry, don't get promotional much, but every once in a while one slips out.

Seriously (HA!) I think the source is more important than the amp, but that's old news around here isn't it?

[size=xx-small]Get both! (%
[/size]

getting both is the goal but with the Micro line it's easy to upgrade to one unit at a time. I already own the 2006 Micro Amp and DAC and me various sources will not always allow me to use me DAC. even though through me iMac/ DAC I will use the most I want to bring out the best in the RS-1's first and foremost.

Tyll "Nose, you can have both for the price of one with the trade in of your 2006 Stack".

Dec 22, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #135 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by geniebomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious as to what would be better to upgrade first(ultra microamp or microDAC). I've got a Corda MOVE at the moment.

(Bump)

If you're running your move right out of the G4 mac, then for sure start with the DAC if you can't afford both. Although the MOVE and the MicroAmp are in different size classifications, as the microamp is borderline portable. But it's likely you'll benefit more from a better USB DAC with a good source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back