2007 Micro Amps and Micro DACs
Aug 7, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #77 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is also no re/upsampling in the DAC in those models - the DAC will be fed whatever the original input is clocked at.

Is that a fact? I am pretty sure CS4389 does oversample signal to 24/192. At least that's what I've read.
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDat.../CS4398_F1.pdf

USB/SPDIF chip doesn't do any conversion though.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #78 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a fact? I am pretty sure CS4389 does oversample signal to 24/196. At least that's what I've read.
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDat.../CS4398_F1.pdf

USB/SPDIF chip doesn't do any conversion though.

Hi Andrew,

I think you are confusing oversampling with upsampling. The 4398 is an oversampling DAC, however does not upsample - that is accomplished outside the DAC with a separate chip, as in the Max DAC where the signal is upsampled to 24/192k.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #79 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Andrew,

I think you are confusing oversampling with upsampling. The 4398 is an oversampling DAC, however does not upsample - that is accomplished outside the DAC with a separate chip, as in the Max DAC where the signal is upsampled to 24/192k.

Yep, you are right. I always confuse two.
redface.gif
Thanks for clarification.

BTW, terrific article on the subject
http://www.thetadigital.com/upsampling.htm

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #80 of 163
So let's see. I have my Macbook (w/optical out) with Apple Lossless,feeding an Airport Express that also has an optical output. I could add the Micro in the mix as a "preamp" feeding a T- amp and my Paradigm Atoms. Sounds like a all in one solution.
Now the Desktop Portable comes out before the Micro. Big jump in SQ?
rolleyes.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #82 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Micro and Ultra Mirco DAC's aren't portable? At all?

they are not portable in the fact that they do not use a battery supply but the new 2007 Portable Micro Amp w/ DAC does use a built in rechargeable LiIon. there are 3 new models in the 2007 Micro Line.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...-micro-amp.php

you can also still purchase the 2006 MicroAmp and MicroDAC while supplies last. this will be the last of the stand alone portable MicroDAC's.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...-micro-dac.php

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #83 of 163
Why would they make what I'm guessing is a really small DAC, and not make it portable/transportable? Think of people like SiBurning!

Well, would it ever be possible to use an external battery pack with them or something?

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #84 of 163
Quote:

Why would they make what I'm guessing is a really small DAC, and not make it portable/transportable? Think of people like SiBurning!

Well, would it ever be possible to use an external battery pack with them or something?

Because many people want the absolute best sound in the smallest possible package. People who don't have a lot of desk space will love the idea of having a reference source and amp that's the same size of the original micro stack, but an order of magnitude better sounding and on a par with some of the best solid state amps out there.

To make it that order of magnitude better sounding, the electronics have to consume much more power (they eat current), and dissipate a LOT more heat. If you tried to run those electronics from the 2x9V battery supply from the original Micro, the drain would be so high that the batteries would not only discharge in a matter of a few minutes, but overheat and start dangerously leaking in the process and possibly catch fire...

You could build an external battery pack if you wanted, but you'd need to use SLA's to get nearly enough capacity/potential current delivery.

There is a portable really small portable DAC, it's called the Micro Portable and it also has an amp in it! That's basically the same DAC as is in the standalone original Micro DAC, but combined with the original Micro Amp and a rechargeable battery as well in the same case...

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #85 of 163
To be honest, I have always wished that my MicroDAC wasnt portable. Dont get me wrong, I love the thing and its awesome, but I think it would have been a better product if it had full sized rca jacks and used the battery storage part of the chassis to either put a power supply inside or beef up other parts. I havent used it portably a single time since ive gotten it.

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #86 of 163
Quote:

Headroom would have to answer to know for sure reasons why.

my guess from post that I have read is that most people that own the current 2006 MicroDAC, which is a 9v battery powered portable DAC, use it at home or the office with a AC Power Supply(of which I am one). not that people do not use the MicroDAC in portable situations with its 9v power supply, there is just not that many portable players being made today with a digital output. I think maybe not even a handfull of PCDP's and then the portable DVD players.

I see the 2007 Micro and Ultra Micro models as upgrades over the 2006 MicroAmp and DAC and the 2007 Portable Micro Amp w/ or w/out built in DAC.

the 2007 Micro and Ultra Micro models also fill a gap for lower cost home amps and DAC's that is also small enough to be transported from place to place while using an AC outlet to supply them.

also many people asked HeadRoom to make a stand alone DAC to be used with home equipment and HeadRoom fulfilled their needs.

last I heard the 2006 MicroDac powered by both AC and DC is still available but supplies are limited and when they are gone you will not be able to purchase a new one through HeadRoom. so you should still have time to purchase one.

I meself own the 2006 MicroAmp and DAC and I just love them! I cannot see meself getting rid of either one anytime soon.

edit: The Sloth beat me to it before I could even get me words written down. q:O)

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #88 of 163
I absolutely LOVE the design of the headroom home amps, but i really dislike the design of the there portable total airhead. I wish they just designed there portables just like the home amps, but smaller ofcourse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back