2007 Annual Head-fi Gift Exchange! (SIGN UP RIGHT NOW!)
Nov 29, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #61 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should be considering a new sealed copy of a timeless musical delight you have discovered.

In that case (pun intended) I know the perfect one
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #62 of 125
Put me down, for the US only.

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #64 of 125
Old Pa's message really strikes to the heart of this Christmas exchange. I believe the first ever exchange was spearheaded by moogoesthecow but he left Head-fi quite a number of years ago so I took up the reigns because I really wanted this tradition to continue. I've been doing it for 4 years now I think maybe 5 and it has been wonderful every year.

That said, there have been hiccups. One year, I didn't get my gift, because the person I was paired up with (I get my wife or son to choose randomly out of a hat) decided not to send me something. He was too immature and spineless to step up and tell me flat out he was just going to leech my gift and not exchange. This is the worst case scenerio. It has not just happened to me but to a 1 or 2 members each year. Seriously, if you are in you are in, don't screw your partner.

Last year, I ordered a bunch of stuff for two head-fiers from a very well known audio store and even though online the indication was that everything was in stock, by the time the shipment was ready to go, stuff wasn't available, so these guys had to wait some extra time to get their complete gift. Waiting past Christmas is likely the third worst case scenerio. So, once you know your partner, shop and shop fast, get it out the door, and try to make sure the disc is in stock and get confirmation of that, I know I will be doing that this year. Amazon may well be the best place to go, though don't forget sweet spots like our Todd Green from Todd The Vinyl Junkie.

The second worst case scenerio is what Old Pa outlined, some guy offloading some dog of a disc and then hoping for some mint of a gift.

Come on now, if one wants to participate, then participate, no half-assed giving.

Again, if both partners agree to exchange used or new and used, or LP's or SACDs, or something else, more power to you, but the expectation should be that you will be buying 1 new disc. This is the minimum expectation joining up. Yes you may well be sending a choice used disc or a few or something entirely different, but again this will be the exception not the rule.

Please remember this is the season of giving not the season to be receiving...despite what corporately influenced western society is filling our heads with.

If this is not something you personally want to take part in, then please back out now.

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #65 of 125
Quick question since this is my first time (be gentle
smily_headphones1.gif
) - will you be posting a list of who is partnered with who or distributing the information by other means (PM, email, etc.)?

Thanks for organizing the exchange, I think it's a great idea.

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #66 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
) - will you be posting a list of who is partnered with who or distributing the information by other means (PM, email, etc.)?

A tip for the first-timers (I'm a first-timer too):

Members' Lounge -> Search this forum -> Advanced Search -> Search Titles Only -> Keyword: exchange -> Search

This will give you the threads of previous years' Christmas gift exchanges, and the resulting 'what did you receive?' threads.

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #67 of 125
I couldn't agree more with Old Pa and Zanth. Last year was my first time participating and half the fun in the first place was chatting back and forth with the member I had been partnered with. We got to find out a little about ourselves, send regards to our respective families and, of course, dig into our musical sensibilities.

The exciting part to me is the exploration aspect of it. Once you've nailed down your personal tastes and interests, it's a simple matter of picking out a recording that's close to your heart (and somewhat in line with their interests) and shipping it out.

It can be a crap-shoot for sure, but in line with the "it's the thought that counts" credo, I personally think the most important and satisfying aspect of the whole ordeal is communicating with your not-so-secret Santa and turning them onto something near and dear to you, like it or lump it.

It's the holidays for music-lovers too, afterall. The gifts may be predetermined, but the music itself is the surprise!

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #68 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case (pun intended) I know the perfect one
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you should wait and see who you get partnered up with. For my "example from Hell", consider a hypothetical Head-Fier the Right Reverend Mortimer H Throttleknob.

Mort, as he's known to both of his friends is an aging recluse and pillar of bad taste. The Rt. Rev Throttleknob is convinced that the finest music and CD of all times is "B-Sides and Outtakes from The Mormon Tubercular Choir as led by Mitch Miller and accompanied by the Lawrence Welp Orchestra". This CD literally puts Mort in a trance, which, coinicidentally, was his point of reference when he selected his Head-Fi user name of FeedMeTrance. It is a three CD set, but Mort believes in only giving the very best.

Now, you want Mort to select your CD without having a little chat?
eek.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #70 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll post in this thread just because pm'ing everyone would take a lot of time. I'll put in in the first post something like:

useridA <-> useridB
useridC <-> useridD

etc

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #71 of 125
Can I be paired up with Voltron?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #72 of 125
Count me in.....had a great time with it last year!
CONUS for me please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back